9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
What if the dealer put ATF in my manual tranny? I'm just looking at my last receipt and they charged me for ATF and I don't really knonw what they put on my car... This was like 5k miles ago and actually I don't feel anything weird, just a little notchy gears sometimes...
Usually ATF is bright red. I don't know if Honda's ATF is or not but what I would do is take it back and point out to them you charged me for ATF I or you, have no idea what is in there and demand they change it. I don't care if it has been 5K miles. If they absolutely won't and if you have the ability do it yourself it is no harder than doing and oil change. Do it for your peace of mind its only 20 bucks for 2 quarts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine was at approximately 40k when I changed it. It was a night and day difference afterwards. Same OEM Honda fill used.
Just a tip on this fluid 40k is to long I don't care what the manual says or Honda says for that matter. I have taken samples of this fluid when I had my S2000 and have seen other analysis as well and this fluid shears rather rapidly. It is the equivalent of a 20 weight fluid to begin with and starts out at 7.5 @100°cst, in less than 10k miles it sheared to less than 6.0! Now this was in a different car. I have not taken a sample in this car, but it is the same fluid and I would not go more than 15k miles on this fluid from what I know. At 20 bucks for 2 quarts it is cheap insurance. It is a great fluid for all temps but not for a lot of miles.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Just a tip on this fluid 40k is to long I don't care what the manual says or Honda says for that matter. I have taken samples of this fluid when I had my S2000 and have seen other analysis as well and this fluid shears rather rapidly. It is the equivalent of a 20 weight fluid to begin with and starts out at 7.5 @100°cst, in less than 10k miles it sheared to less than 6.0! Now this was in a different car. I have not taken a sample in this car, but it is the same fluid and I would not go more than 15k miles on this fluid from what I know. At 20 bucks for 2 quarts it is cheap insurance. It is a great fluid for all temps but not for a lot of miles.
I appreciate that tip, and yea I definitely think it was way past due.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Make sure it is the Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30

:iagree:
I changed the manual transmission fluid in my 2013 civic to the Amsoil Manual Synchromesh 5W-30 and have been pleased with the results. Slightly smoother shifting and I also added a magnetic drain plug to the system as well (Felt it couldn't hurt). I think you can change your Manual transaxle fluid to the Amsoil with confidence...here is a link with more information.
AMSOIL Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30. However, I also agree with other members that if you don't feel comfortable going with an aftermarket brand then just use Honda MTF.

Good luck,
Truckin

·
Registered
213 Posts
I changed mine at 12,000 miles.... course I do like to "Drive" my car so I felt it might be a good idea. :dancingcoolsmiley:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I changed mine at 12,000 miles.... course I do like to "Drive" my car so I felt it might be a good idea. :dancingcoolsmiley:
I suppose I am do. I am at 16000 miles. I will change it out during my next oil change at 20000. Seems odd to me to change manual transmission fluid at such low miles but I will do it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I suppose I am do. I am at 16000 miles. I will change it out during my next oil change at 20000. Seems odd to me to change manual transmission fluid at such low miles but I will do it for peace of mind.
Erkon,
I also thought it was odd when a few Si owners told me to go on and change it so I could use the Amsoil brand. However, since the swap out of fluids I have been pleased with my choice and it gives me peace of mind lol. I think going longer would not be an issue, but would be more of a personal choice maybe?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Erkon,
I also thought it was odd when a few Si owners told me to go on and change it so I could use the Amsoil brand. However, since the swap out of fluids I have been pleased with my choice and it gives me peace of mind lol. I think going longer would not be an issue, but would be more of a personal choice maybe?
Good to hear you are having good luck with the Amsoil MTF. I tried it and didn't care for it in my car, cold shifting performance suffered. Once warm it was fine.

As far as going longer on the OEM fluid as I stated above the fluid shears rather rapidly and I'm not just pulling this out of my ass I have done an analysis on this fluid it is already a very light viscosity fluid. Rather than do it a 30k miles I think 15k is about the max I would go i have actually already done mine twice at 10k each. I want to make sure I have the protection especially in a warm climate.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Good to hear you are having good luck with the Amsoil MTF. I tried it and didn't care for it in my car, cold shifting performance suffered. Once warm it was fine.

As far as going longer on the OEM fluid as I stated above the fluid shears rather rapidly and I'm not just pulling this out of my ass I have done an analysis on this fluid it is already a very light viscosity fluid. Rather than do it a 30k miles I think 15k is about the max I would go i have actually already done mine twice at 10k each. I want to make sure I have the protection especially in a warm climate.
You and your testing is why I am changing mine....hope you arent full of it! lol
Definitely wont hurt doing it

·
Registered
338 Posts
You and your testing is why I am changing mine....hope you arent full of it! lol
Definitely wont hurt doing it
Even if I was full of it, I don't think $20.00 is going to break anyone's wallet especially if your a car guy. :)

I actually have a kit for Blackstone Labs at home now I may use this one and do a sample next time I change it out. All I know is in my S2K it sheared very quickly. I could be pleasantly surprised in the SI. If I do, do it, I will most certainly share the results with the community.

·
Registered
213 Posts

I will pay closer attention to the shifting now that you've said that about colder weather. At this point I haven't noticed any issues, but as I said will monitor it closer....

·
Registered
136 Posts
I changed mine last weekend at 15k miles and I immediately noticed a difference. As far as how to change the trans fluid, I got a pump on Amazon for 6 bucks and it screws right into standard one quart bottles, worked like a charm. Oh I used Honda MTF.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I previously had an 06 Civic with the manual 5 speed transmission. I had very good luck with a Pennsoil Synchromesh manual transmission fluid. The main thing to do is change it every couple years and the transmission will shift nicely. Even if the fluid looks good and clean when it is drained you still need to change it every couple years. I bought an automatic this time so my wife can drive it too if she has to.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,388 Posts
I bought an automatic this time so my wife can drive it too if she has to.
You must be joeking.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. hahaha

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My maintenance minder said to change my fluid at 100,000 km I haven't done it yet but will very soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My maintenance minder just came up to change the manual transmission fluid in my 2012 LX at the next service. That will be about 60k miles. Wow my transmission must be gong to fall apart. No but I'll go ahead and change it before then to spreads out the maintenance.

·
Registered
898 Posts
As of now i have Red Line MTL in the transmission and it's a bit rough when it's freezing outside. Next time i'll be using a 50\50 mix of Red Line MTL and Red Line D6 to thin the MTL a little bit. Anyway, a lot of cars use ATF as manual transmission oil and they say on their website, provides a GL4 gear level protection so i'm not even scared of trying this. That way, i'm gonna have an oil with similar weight specs as the OE Honda stuff, hopefully without the cold gear clash driveability issues... I will report back when i'll do this!

D6
Vis @ 100°C, cSt6.4
Vis @ 40°C, cSt30.7
Viscosity Index166
Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, Poise45

• Also satisfies API 70W/75W/80W and GL-4 gear oil requirements
MTL
API Service ClassGL-4
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil)5W30
SAE Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)75W80
Vis @ 100°C, cSt10.4
Vis @ 40°C, cSt54.1
Viscosity Index185
Pour Point, °C-50
Pour Point, °F-58
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, Poise120

Marko!

P.S. The local Speed Shop didn't have D6 in stock but they had some D4... I'll be testing this tonight! I still have 2 quarts of MTL at home so if it doesn't live up to my expectations i'm flush again to MTL... :)

SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil)0W20
SAE Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)70W80
Vis @ 100°C, cSt7.5
Vis @ 40°C, cSt34
Viscosity Index198
Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, Poise52

...i will end up with more or less 44 cSt @ 40° and 9 @ 100°.... just a bit thicker then OE stuff...

P.S.S. Seems like it's common practice in the BMW world for cars that are used in colder climates with great results..

''Dave Granquist at Redline says D4ATF is the closest spec to OEM but of course a much higher quality Group V (POE) basestock oil. Redline MTL gives more protection and fine for warmer climes, but a blend of MTL and D4ATF is fine for cooler areas.''

21 - 40 of 65 Posts