9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know civics whine in reverse, but i drove my friends 2012 Si, and mine whines a helluva lot louder than hers. At least 10 times louder! I love this car, but its the small stuff like the rev hang, clunky gearbox, and that freakin whine that are eating at my soul.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do you hear a constant whining noise, accompanied by a slip in the gears as you shift gears? if yes, it points to low transmission fluids. If you notice a humming noise while in neutral, it points to a malfunctioning transmission shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Does the whine change tone with steering changes or speed? Is it different going around corners (left or right)? Is it different in different gears (assuming a manual trans)?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the transmission fluid an its good to go. It only whines in reverse. And when i push in the clutch while im in reverse it makes a skipping sound. Its always whined but its just way louder now after only 11,000 miles. I havent noticed a humming noise in neutral. An i dont recall any sounds due to steering, but speed makes it even louder. but thats a given.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I checked the transmission fluid an its good to go. It only whines in reverse. And when i push in the clutch while im in reverse it makes a skipping sound. Its always whined but its just way louder now after only 11,000 miles. I havent noticed a humming noise in neutral. An i dont recall any sounds due to steering, but speed makes it even louder. but thats a given.
Mine has the same skipping sound. It's done it since day one so I assume it's normal. I don't really think mine is any louder than new, though. I have 8,400 miles.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The skipping is likely due to gear lash running in and out while in reverse. The differential gears are ground for the best contact in forward (the most used direction and the one that gets the most power). In reverse, the mesh is usually sloppier and thus more noisy. I spent four summers working in the transmission engineering department for a Tier1 supplier and I've heard a lot of different gear noises.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have the same noisy reverse. It's done it since I got the car. I think there is another thread on this topic. I know I've replied about the noisy reverse before.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reverse seems normal but I noticed lately when I'm at a dead stop and go to pull away, at the top of clutch travel I hear a wine/groan. Think it's the clutch but not real real sure. Anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not after the clutch is all the way out. It happens as I'm letting the clutch out. Once it's all the way out it stops. It's not the gears I know that much. I'm a tech at Toyota and I've never heard this noise. My friend is a tech at Honda and thinks its an unusual noise lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts