9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just finished wrapping up our video and product images for a really nice looking new spoiler / wing we started carrying. We call it the TRM Style Spoiler and I think it greatly improves the overall look of the 9th Gen Civic sedan. It almost looks like something that would have gone on a Type R model if they made one for this generation.

Here is the product link for pricing and more info: Honda Civic PRO Design TRM Style Spoiler / Wing

The TRM Spoiler is made from high quality ABS plastic and includes installation hardware and 3 sets of custom decals (2 red, 2 white, 2 black). See the pictures for examples of the red and black decals on the spoiler. It comes unpainted so you can match to your Civic's body color or do a two-tone look. We're going to vinyl wrap the center section in black so you can see an example of what the two tone version would look like if you went that route. It seems to be a little stiffer than the OEM Si spoiler, and combined with the fact that it is taller than the OEM spoiler, downforce should increase a bit.

Here's the full installation video as well: :popcornbig:

And one more photo showing the center section in black:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
bolt on? it is a bolt on. just like the factory wing.

lip spoilers can be 'stuck' on...as there is a rather large contact point. all wing spoilers that i am aware of, for any car usually require drilling to hold in place. if done properly, the holes in the trunk won't affect anything. if you want to remove it later...well, then, yes, the holes present a challenge.

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why not make it a direct bolt on? Having to drill holes in my trunk makes me not wanna buy.
I believe because the OEM spoiler holes were not spaced correctly to ensure the TRM spoiler would be held in place properly. I agree it would have been nice to not have to drill some small holes, but overall this kind of thing is normal for this type of modification. Honda accessories sometimes require doing stuff like this, or cutting into things (like on their HFP lip kits for the 8th Gen Civic).

Of course you could always have a body shop paint and install it - would be a pretty easy job for them.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Would be interested if it used the factory holes.... not interested in drilling through my trunk :(

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would be interested if it used the factory holes.... not interested in drilling through my trunk :(
It sounds scary, but when you look at the factory trunk, it's got holes in it anyways. Most exterior parts (lips, side skirts, etc.) will require drilling in some way or another, because that is the best way to secure the parts to the car. Of course, if you don't have experience installing exterior parts, then just take this spoiler to a body shop and they will easily be able to put it on.

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish you guys could identify my wing I came across lol. Requires no drilling at all and is entirely fiberglass

http://www.9thgencivic.com/#/forumsite/20679/topics/156978?page=1

Link doesn't work :(

Only thing I can comment on is the material: Fiberglass can be ok if the quality is good and it's FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic). It will usually require some more prep time before painting though. I think you will definitely need a body shop to at least prep it and paint it. That's great if it saves on the drilling part, but just keep in mind it will most likely require a pro to get the painting part done.

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's another photo showing how it looks when you paint the center section black. I like it a bit better this way because it really matches the factory rear diffuser in color and style.

Note: We actually just used Plasti Dip for the center.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am very interested in buying this spoiler from you guys but I read on the forum and other places that the middle section has excessive shaking at speeds over 65mph+ Do you know of any fixes that could help minimize this issue? Would it be possible to predominately attach all three pieces together?

I also heard that a version two spoiler was recently available in the market that did have holes that matched with factory holes (except the third break light hole that would need to be covered). Is this something you guys have created or is this another company that released this?

Thanks

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am very interested in buying this spoiler from you guys but I read on the forum and other places that the middle section has excessive shaking at speeds over 65mph+ Do you know of any fixes that could help minimize this issue? Would it be possible to predominately attach all three pieces together?

I also heard that a version two spoiler was recently available in the market that did have holes that matched with factory holes (except the third break light hole that would need to be covered). Is this something you guys have created or is this another company that released this?

Thanks
I woudn't really describe the shaking as at all excessive (on our spoiler at least). At 65 mph, it was fine our tests. The vibrations started around 75 mph, but you could not hear anything. The vibrations may only happen in a small window of speeds (like 75 to 90mph or so) where the wind force is not quite enough to fully depress the spoiler. In any case, you might be able to alleviate the vibrations by spraying in "expanding foam" inside the spoiler. We have not tested that solution. Again, the vibrations are really not bad and I don't think you'd notice unless you were really paying attention.

There is no V2 of our TRM spoiler. I think the spoiler you're referring to with the different holes is a Type R spoiler, and it looks different too.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I still love the look and could convince myself to live with the holes... but no LED tail light is what is going to kill it for me. Living in a place with regular bumper to bumper traffic, not having a 3rd brake light is like saying "please smash into the rear of my car, thanks."

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still love the look and could convince myself to live with the holes... but no LED tail light is what is going to kill it for me. Living in a place with regular bumper to bumper traffic, not having a 3rd brake light is like saying "please smash into the rear of my car, thanks."
The spoiler is big enough so I'm pretty sure people will see it. If it's bumper to bumper traffic at night and people are not driving well, then I'm not sure how much a 3rd brake light will really help over just the standard tail lights.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The spoiler is big enough so I'm pretty sure people will see it. If it's bumper to bumper traffic at night and people are not driving well, then I'm not sure how much a 3rd brake light will really help over just the standard tail lights.
I think you're confusing the Si with the non-Si. The Si has the 3rd light in the spoiler from the factory. There is no light on the package tray in the rear as on DX/EX models. Removing the light means removing the light... I'm not even sure that it will pass inspection that way.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'd pay an extra $75-ish for the spoiler with a thin LED strip with direct plug-to-factory-harness... With all the Chinese LEDs out there it cannot possibly be that expensive. Alternatively, modify the mold to allow the factory Si LED to fit in there.

Reactions: dwmilton
1 - 20 of 38 Posts