9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Civic Si Sedan
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Unfortunately there is just no option available that comes with a place for the factory LED light or an aftermarket LED light.

In my earlier point I was basically commenting that the 3rd brake light is not as useful as the normal tail light brakes. There are certain situations, like bumper to bumper traffic at night though, where I think it does help to better alert people behind you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
WAHHHH theres no third brake light

WAHHHH it doesnt line up perfectly with factory holes

WAHHH IT MIGHT RATTLE SLIGHTLY AT ILLEGAL SPEED

lol if you dont like it dont buy it. im feelin bad for the procivic guy. tryin to offer new spoilers for the 9th and just gettin berrated

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,800 Posts
Better that prospective buyers know what it has and doesn't have, and does and doesn't do, rather than being surprised after purchase and/or install.

·
Registered
2014 Civic Si Sedan
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't mind addressing any questions or concerns about this product. Everyone has different needs and views. We get all sorts of odd ball questions and requests, so this discussion is no big deal at all. Our goal is always to try to incorporate customer feedback into our service and new products.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,800 Posts
I think you're confusing the Si with the non-Si. The Si has the 3rd light in the spoiler from the factory. There is no light on the package tray in the rear as on DX/EX models. Removing the light means removing the light... I'm not even sure that it will pass inspection that way.
Just for clarity, both the DX and LX coupe have the third brake light in the rear package shelf behind the rear glass. The EX has its third brake light in the trunk lid garnish. All would appear to retain their third brake light when using this spoiler.

The Si sedan, ironically, is the only model where this would be an issue, as the third brake light is incorporated into the stock spoiler.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In order to keep this legal, I guess we would need to purchase a third brake light. I saw two options, one is the two rear reflectors which there is a conversion kit to brake lights. Another is a rear diffuser that adds a third light on the bottom. I think this spoiler looks stunning and would consider it but... I would need to spend an extra $300 for the lights...

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,800 Posts
What about getting a DX or LX rear package shelf and brake light?

You might even be able to get this assembly at a junk yard. I don't imagine that they are often damaged in accidents.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For a stock Si I'm not sure but if you're on springs and sway bars this shakes enough to piss you off at ANY speed. Makes me think the other cars can see it. Tried filling the center with foam to stiffen it. No luck. Needs a center support.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased this had it custom painted and installed it my self and the center part is kinda flimsy does bounce alot and all speeds and everything is definitely tight to the point where if you tried to tighten it any more something would break I am interested and any possibility of fixing the rigidity of the center. I thought about the spray foam worried it may Crack the center or not be stiff enough and the can't get it out though about a wooden dowl rod in it but how to make it stay has anyone else ever had this problem with theirs and how did you solve it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I recently purchased this had it custom painted and installed it my self and the center part is kinda flimsy does bounce alot and all speeds and everything is definitely tight to the point where if you tried to tighten it any more something would break I am interested and any possibility of fixing the rigidity of the center. I thought about the spray foam worried it may Crack the center or not be stiff enough and the can't get it out though about a wooden dowl rod in it but how to make it stay has anyone else ever had this problem with theirs and how did you solve it
Thought I might come across you on here eventually. Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but we work at the same place and live in the same little town haha. You gotta park further out in the lot, don't risk those door dings. Off topic I know, but it was a funny coincidence seeing your pic. Nice wheels btw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the Mugen style spoiler from Ikon motorsports?

It's painted to match my car which is nice but based on all my research I'm assuming I'll have to drill holes in the trunk. Curious how the quality is and how it's held up since anyone has bought it.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2014 Civic Si Sedan
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
hmmmm isn't this just a mugen rep wing basically?
It's very similar, but it doesn't say Mugen anywhere on it. We actually provide some custom colored decals (red, white, and black) for the side area inserts.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,800 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
In order to keep this legal, I guess we would need to purchase a third brake light. I saw two options, one is the two rear reflectors which there is a conversion kit to brake lights. Another is a rear diffuser that adds a third light on the bottom. I think this spoiler looks stunning and would consider it but... I would need to spend an extra $300 for the lights...
So I'm quite confused, as I'm unfamiliar with brake light laws in the US... is this spoiler illegal as it comes because it doesn't have a brake light installed? My 2012 Si Sedan has a center brake light, on the existing spoiler, like in this photo:

Would replacing the existing spoiler with this one be illegal, because this spoiler does not have a brake light to replace the one I'm losing? Was about to pull the trigger on this and then I read the quoted response. I live in Georgia, USA, by the way.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,800 Posts
Under federal regulations in the United States, motor vehicles must be manufactured so that the third brake light (or "center high-mounted stop lamp") and all other stop lamps are steady-burning when they are in use.

That being said, the third brake light does not need to be in the spoiler. An LX or DX package tray and brake light can be swapped into an EX or Si.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts