9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, im new to this car, but im just starting to add some mods on. I have a 2014 civic si, and ive installed a skunk2 cai, but every few hundred miles, itll throw an emissions light with the check engine light. Everytime it does that, i reset the stock tune with my flashpro, but im pretty sure thats not the healthiest way of doing things. Can anybody help me out with a possible eTune reference or anything that i can do myself? Like i said im completely new to the whole tuning thing, but i just want to take care of my car properly and thats why i havnt added any other mods yet without getting a tune first. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
454 Posts
You need to be tuned by a tuner. Any changes to the intake, engine, or exhaust systems will result in needing a tune.

You're providing the engine with more air than it knows what to do with.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to be tuned by a tuner. Any changes to the intake, engine, or exhaust systems will result in needing a tune.

You're providing the engine with more air than it knows what to do with.

I appreciate the help man, i stumbled upon etunez before, i just didnt know if they were a good one to go with or not. I always see people talking about VitViper but i dont think he does them anymore.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
454 Posts
I just got my last rev from Steve this morning. Super friendly and willing to answer questions as well as provide explanations.

I'm sure there are other choices out there, but as of right now, I'd say that Steve/E-Tunez probably does most of the etuning for the community on the forums.

If you plan on doing more power mods I would suggest doing them before getting tuned because you'll want to get tuned whenever you add a performance mod. (engine/intake/exhaust related)

I believe the retune fee is only like $70 though. So you could definitely tune now, and then retune as you change parts. I opt for waiting. I gathered parts over the course of a year and finally started my tune about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got my last rev from Steve this morning. Super friendly and willing to answer questions as well as provide explanations.

I'm sure there are other choices out there, but as of right now, I'd say that Steve/E-Tunez probably does most of the etuning for the community on the forums.

If you plan on doing more power mods I would suggest doing them before getting tuned because you'll want to get tuned whenever you add a performance mod. (engine/intake/exhaust related)

I believe the retune fee is only like $70 though. So you could definitely tune now, and then retune as you change parts. I opt for waiting. I gathered parts over the course of a year and finally started my tune about 3 weeks ago.
Nice, yea i might do that, how long does it take to get his tune?

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
454 Posts
It's a multistep procedure. You send over your mod list and he makes a base tune for you and sends that to you. You upload the tune and take a datalog and send it back. From the it's a back and forth of him sending revisions, you uploading the tune and datalogging and sending it back. All tunes have a min of 7 revisions. More if needed.

If you've got a pretty basic setup you could probably be done with the process in a week. Mine was pretty involved with multiple changes along the way, so mine is definitely on the longer side of things.

I'd bought my tune last year during the Black Friday sale and ended up sitting on it for almost a year. Steve didn't even bat an eye when I said I was finally ready like 10 months later.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh dang, thats cool, yea all ive got is the intake rn, planning on getting a catback soon too. I was thinking the ktuned catback, but alot of people go for the nvidia. I just dont like the drone it seems to have, the k tuned doesnt seem to have drone tho, any preference on them?

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
454 Posts
You won't need to tune for a catback. Only if you do the DP, so if that's all you're looking to do, you're all set to start tuning.

Exhaust is a hard one. Everyone's ears are different, and it depends on your goals. Hop on YT and look for sound clips.

If you don't plan on upgrading the downpipe then go with the q300. It's the quietest of them all, but also the smallest. If you're going to be upgrading the DP, then I would go with a full a 3in exhaust so you can pair it with a full 3in DP.

Welcome to the forum. There's tons of info out there. It can definitely be kinda overwhelming at first to sift through all the info, but you'll learn a bunch along the way! For the most part, you can't really go wrong with any of the selections you make for your car. That's the upside to there not being a huge aftermarket for the platform. Sometimes the choice is made for you simply based on their only being a handful of options to chose from.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Oh dang, thats cool, yea all ive got is the intake rn, planning on getting a catback soon too. I was thinking the ktuned catback, but alot of people go for the nvidia. I just dont like the drone it seems to have, the k tuned doesnt seem to have drone tho, any preference on them?
full race and invidia q300 have the least amount of drone

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a multistep procedure. You send over your mod list and he makes a base tune for you and sends that to you. You upload the tune and take a datalog and send it back. From the it's a back and forth of him sending revisions, you uploading the tune and datalogging and sending it back. All tunes have a min of 7 revisions. More if needed.

If you've got a pretty basic setup you could probably be done with the process in a week. Mine was pretty involved with multiple changes along the way, so mine is definitely on the longer side of things.

I'd bought my tune last year during the Black Friday sale and ended up sitting on it for almost a year. Steve didn't even bat an eye when I said I was finally ready like 10 months later.
full race and invidia q300 have the least amount of drone
Yea, i did some research, i think im going to go with the ktuned catback, seems like a little more my style, i do appreciate the help tho!

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
182 Posts
I'm a little late to this, but Yonaka Motorsports makes a 3" catback for $380. I had one on my Fit and it gave the L15 a smooth rumble that wasn't raspy at all. Minimal drone as well.

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a little late to this, but Yonaka Motorsports makes a 3" catback for $380. I had one on my Fit and it gave the L15 a smooth rumble that wasn't raspy at all. Minimal drone as well.
Hmmm ima look into it, i just dont want anything that sounds like the stereotypical fart can lol and considering how limited the options seem to be, its kinda tough to find one i like alot. The ktuned is the one i like the most so far, ill check yours out though for sure, ty

·
Registered
2014 civic si coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem. They make a very OEM+ sounding exhaust, oval muffler style not a fart can.
Yea now that i looked into it, i think i may go with the yonaka for now and get the k tuned later down the road. Thanks for the help man!

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
182 Posts
No problem! You'll have to slightly drill out the three bolt holes on the exhaust behind the catalytic converter on it, though, because they're a tad bit too small. But that's a quick fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts