9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pics! You can see how much beefier the main shaft is. Gears are thicker, and less but bigger teeth. Stock ones I assume have alot of smaller teeth I assume to reduce noise.

Was hoping my speedometer would be accurate in the stock 5th and 6th gears, however speed sensor runs off new 4th gear, so nothing will read accurately. I'm ok with that, but warning for future people.

Upgrading cutch now. Had the Exedy stage 1 for almost 10k miles. Several times I street started in 2nd gear. This improved launches (similar to my new first gear), but did wear on the clutch. The stage 1 is not shot by any means. Glad I opted for the stage 2, 4 puck for future proofing.

The car is strictly a toy, and I don't drive it like I would if it was my daily. There's blueing on the flywheel, I know that was when I was next to a Camaro SS ?.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I wonder if there's a way to fix the speedometer reading?
I've been wondering the same. I know there's a Dakota digital box that intercepts and changes the speed sensor signal. There's a bunch of stuff they make, not sure if one would work for us. Haven't read of it on the Si yet. It's going to bother me, I'm just not sure how much, if it bothers me too bad I will try to fix it. Seems like most people run in KPH because it's "more" accurate.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
223 Posts
awesome pics and write up, thanks for sharing with us ??.
ripping apart a transmission looks intimidating so mad props on you.
self taught, mechanic by trade, or ???

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
awesome pics and write up, thanks for sharing with us ??.
ripping apart a transmission looks intimidating so mad props on you.
self taught, mechanic by trade, or ???
I've been in industrial maintenance for 15 years, mainly CNC machines. It helps, but by far doesn't make me a expert on any automotive stuff. I'm lucky this car isn't my daily...otherwise I'd have had someone else redo the transmission.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
warning below
Have my car back together after gearbox build.
Tips for that, gearbox is easy if anyone's gotten this far on their own! I couldn't find my feeler gages, but through many years of fairly tight tolerance work, I know what a sheet of paper is (and have digital calipers to double check). This is at your own risk, and Google will help.
My turbo oil drain was 1/2" too long, and kinked a little, fixed that. From the start of it, I should have put both fittings on, and measured out the hose between them (1/4" extra would have been plenty if done right).
Where I tapped into oil pan wasn't a flat surface, this isnt a good seal for NPT. I had tried JB weld, it seeped and slowly got worse.
Oil pan, I pulled off again, razor blade clean both surfaces, wiped with brake cleaner/rags, and used Hondabond 4. Only used Honda bond 4 on threads I added in oilpan, and tightened slightly after 30-45m.

Warning I broke the JBwelded fitting off pan, and when I pulled pan off, there was chunks insides oilpan. I had only put the JB weld on the pan when I threaded it in...meaning alot had made it through threads.

• Waiting for a 3 day cure time. After 2 1/2 days I have to work, 12hr at night. As bad as it was on a non-DD, I'm waiting till it's cured. Waiting to put oil in, then it's ready for a shake down run. I'll report back on the oil leak issue short term, then long term.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Shake down run complete!
Hondabond 4 has fixed my leak (so far).
Drove roughly 12 miles. Changing display to KPH made the speedometer match within 1mph of phone GPS, up to 60 (all gears). Nice to have accurate speedometer, I do want to fix this at some point though.
There's definitely some gear noise I never had in 1-4th, particularly during on-off throttle. Nothing terrible, I really like it. The gearing is great, longer first gear is perfect IMO.
Exedy stage 2, 4 puck, has some chatter, particularly at low revs or hill starts. It's not broke in, but yet the chatter isn't a issue as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't feel to be a "on/off" clutch at all, but the slip point is shorter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What's your redline and how fast are you going in 1st at redline?
I'm on my stock all seasons (summer tires are taller), and seen 45 in first. Redline I think is 7,200 if the tuner touched it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm on my stock all seasons (summer tires are taller), and seen 45 in first. Redline I think is 7,200 if the tuner touched it.
gotcha. lol i don't even know what stock 1st gear redlines to. I really want to rebuild the transmission sooner rather than later.......

Has wheel spin reduced? I just installed some pilot 4s and I still spin in 2nd but not as bad as OEM tires.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
gotcha. lol i don't even know what stock 1st gear redlines to. I really want to rebuild the transmission sooner rather than later.......

Has wheel spin reduced? I just installed some pilot 4s and I still spin in 2nd but not as bad as OEM tires.
These (Gforce comp 2 A/S) tires spun in 3rd, and still spin in 3rd with new gears. Once I put the summer Continentals on I'll find out if it helped. Before the gears I got no spin in 3rd with summer tires, and was easy to throttle it in 2nd.
Somewhere nearby, there's a Kia owner that's very proud of himself because of the tires.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
These (Gforce comp 2 A/S) tires spun in 3rd, and still spin in 3rd with new gears. Once I put the summer Continentals on I'll find out if it helped. Before the gears I got no spin in 3rd with summer tires, and was easy to throttle it in 2nd.
Somewhere nearby, there's a Kia owner that's very proud of himself because of the tires.
That made me lol

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I want to post this for any boosted members. I also wanted to wait, and see if it was due to not driving the car for awhile. The 3rd to 4th gear runs are ridiculous. They are closer together, and by ratio they look like they wouldn't matter. At full tilt, this ratio does matter, and I highly recommend. Can't wait till summer tires are on.

Still no leaks on oil drain with Hondabond 4.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yea, I just need to pull the trigger and get this rebuilt tranny, lol.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just found out after a year of having the car tuned, it's got 2 step. I doubt I'll be able to launch with 4PSI, but the kid in mean got excited when I found out by pure chance.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Summer tires are back on. With the gear X gears, at 10 PSI, it generally hooks in 2nd gear if it's warm enough and it's good pavement. First gear is much more manageable than stock.
Found a new Mustang GT manual, and managed to get a 40 roll in. I got him, but man those cars are quick.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts