9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
With CAI, the filter change is not an issue. With stock air intake, the intake box is right underneath the bar, so i would like to know how hard to replace/clean the stock air filter. Thank you for the reply.
Uhm , seems like you answered your own question . You would need to remove the brace which would take you a couple minutes at most every 30-40k miles or whenever you wanna change the filter.

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I didn't have to drill any holes in mine for it to fit 2014 si sedan
So I'm guessing that the sedans have a pre-drilled hole already there? And the coupes need to drill/fabricate a hole?

Are there any people that have this bar installed on a 14-15 coupe? Or am I the 1st?

·
Registered
679 Posts
So I'm guessing that the sedans have a pre-drilled hole already there? And the coupes need to drill/fabricate a hole?

Are there any people that have this bar installed on a 14-15 coupe? Or am I the 1st?
I can't say for sure, the sticker on the bar says 1.8 / 2.0 coupe on it, but it's for obviously not marketed for US versions. Mine was a tight fit, but no holes needed to be widened or anything. It kind of looks like the front end is a bit different for the coupe mounting hole atleast what was posted here anyway.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Okay, I finally have an update from Throwdown Performance. They've finally assigned a tracking number to ship my rear brace, and with any luck, it will get shipped tomorrow. Hopefully it will be here before too much longer. I did some driving up on Grizzly Peak in the Oakland hills today, which should have been a blast, but I got stuck behind a timid GM SUV that kept it under 20 through the twisties, and also refused to use any of the multitude of pull-over spots specifically made to let cars pass. #thestruggleisreal!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Okay, I finally have an update from Throwdown Performance. They've finally assigned a tracking number to ship my rear brace, and with any luck, it will get shipped tomorrow. Hopefully it will be here before too much longer. I did some driving up on Grizzly Peak in the Oakland hills today, which should have been a blast, but I got stuck behind a timid GM SUV that kept it under 20 through the twisties, and also refused to use any of the multitude of pull-over spots specifically made to let cars pass. #thestruggleisreal!!!
Good to hear you finally got ahold of them.

Yea I hear ya on the slow drivers. They usually seem to come out whenever you wanna play around. Well, at least for me they do lol.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Here is a better shot of the mounting point

and the sticker

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
How I spent my vacation

Okay so it's been two months but I finally got around to installing the trunk-mounted brace. I wanted to post here to share a bit of experience with the installation, made significantly more tricky by the driver's side upper mounting point. So you're supposed to go around behind a metal portion of the frame near the rear shock tower and put the bolt in from behind, first through the trunk sheet metal, and then through the brace. You put the washer on the threads sticking out, and then finish with the nut. There's a welded metal tab on the bolt that runs into the sheet metal to stop the thing from twisting as you tighten the nut since you can't get a wrench back there. Now, on the passenger's side, getting the bolt into position is trivial because there's this big opening immediately below the mounting hole. There is no such opening on the driver's side!:banghead:
Since my fingers are not spindly little sticks 8 inches in length, getting the driver's side mounting bolt into position proved quite the challenge. Ultimately, the approach that worked for me was to fish a piece of green garden wire through the tiny hole and out the opening where you can barely squeeze any fingers. I wrapped it around the bolt until it was good and secure, and then I pulled it back towards the tiny mounting hole. I could sorta get one finger on it from the rear driver's side, and I used a flat-bladed screw driver to approach the bolt from another hole about 2 inches below the mounting one. Between my finger and the screw driver, I was able to manipulate the bolt so that the threaded end would protrude through the hole the way it's supposed to (after about 8-10 minutes of struggling, swearing, and sweating as I horse-stanced it behind the rear bumper angled with my head in the trunk). Ugh!
Now that it's in, I'm not exactly sure how I'd ever get it out if I needed to some day, without dropping that bolt down into the ether forever. But for now, I plan on enjoying it!:eusa_dance:

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
By Popular Demand...

Hi guys,
Here are the pics I took of the mounting points for the UR rear trunk brace:

As you can see, there's a big opening in the sheet metal below the passenger's side mounting point (3rd photo). That means getting the bolt in on that side is a cake walk.
If you look at the 4th photo, that's the driver's side mounting point. There's no corresponding opening in the sheet metal below the bolt hole. I really wish there were since it would have made the installation of the bolt on that side so much easier!

If you click on the individual photos, they will take you to the Photobucket-hosted photo. Then click on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right to get to the super large image if you want a real close-up.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
41 - 60 of 74 Posts