9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Civic > > Re: drove the 2012 lx sedan manual gear box today

36 mpg highway for the manual....major letdown for me.

just read this thread over at temple of vtec. i am very disappointed that they could not gear the manual for more optimal mileage.

as a manual driver i will downshift when i need more power. i dont need my manual eco box to rev at 3000 rpm at 70 mph.

hyundai got it right with their manual transmission on the elantra. nice low revs at crusing speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unfortunately, most people prefer to be able to stay in the same gear while going up hills or trying to pass. My opinion is that if you don't want to downshift in these situations buy an auto, but most people seem to prefer the shorter gearing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
MPG question

First let me apologize for creating this thread. I know there are already mpg threads on this forum, but I was unable to find my answer. I want to know your average mpg, but I also want to know what transmission you have and what type of driving your doing.
I have a LX, manual transmission and with each tank my gas mileage is getting better but not where I would like to see it. I’m averaging around 36-38mpg and I believe my last tank of gas earned a total of 440 miles before I filled it up. I do a fair amount of highway and city (Pittsburgh) driving. But I feel like I could get a little better.
With that being said, does anyone who owns a Manual Transmission have any tips while driving through the city or on the highway?:eusa_think:

·
Registered
980 Posts
With that being said, does anyone who owns a Manual Transmission have any tips while driving through the city or on the highway?:eusa_think:
Short shift, feather the accelerator (no lead foot), coast to a stop/predict stops when in traffic... all that helps. Highway you'll have to play around a little, but figure out an optimal cruising speed (not sure about the LX since I have an Si).

Although its certainly a lot less fun driving that way all the time... but if you want MPG, that will help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MPG questions after installion of 2012 18'' HFP's!

So I just some new wheels and I love them. I know that the are heavier than the stocks and were going to decrease gas mileage a little but i have been averaging 26 MPG ever since I got them. Does this seem right?! i got 36 MPG on the way home from the dealership so I know things were normal at one point. Any help would be greatly appreciated! BTW, check out the rims =]

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think you have enough time on stocks to really know the MPG difference. You can lose a few MPG with larger wheels and tires, but the trip computer isn't going to be the best way to measure that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i guess you are right. I drive mainly in an area with speed limits of 50 and stop lights everywhere so its a lot of stop and go. I haven't had a chance to take a trip on the highway either. Im just thinking these rims are gonna cost me a lot more in reduced MPG in the long run if I'm really losing 5 or more gallons per mile.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sick rims bro! I do have a question though, do you not get the popup on your i-mid about tire pressure or anything? i really want new tired/rims but dont want to deal with the sensors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yea i still have that warning message going on. i need to go see if the dealership can reprogram it for me sometime this week. hope its not too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I guess the torque-less wonder has issues getting those heavy wheel rolling. I would rather go for some aftermarket lightweight rims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unhappy with mileage

2012 EX sedan automatic.
I do around half highway and half city, am getting around 12l/100KM which google translates to says is under 20 MPG. Based on the other threads in this forum it seems way below normal. What should I do? :(
:mad:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thats very low compared to what ive been getting and seeing other get. Id take it to the dealer and tell them. The lowest average ive ever had on an entire tank is 29ish

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
246 Posts
20mpg?
I'd have to purposefully drive with a heavy foot on D3 to get mileage that low.:pinkvtec:

Are you driving more on the hwy or city? Do you have 20" rims on your EX?

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you are getting less then 20 with 50/50 something has got to be wrong with that car.
I hope this is a real post and not one of those troll ones again.

1 - 20 of 696 Posts