9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm wondering if any of you know what may cause my warning buzzer (kind of sounds like the fasten seat belt alert) to go off for just an instant. I was looking through the manual and unfortunately it does not tell you if the warning indicator light on the dash has a audible warning alert associated with it. On top of it all, the warning beep comes and goes so fast that I don't believe there is enough time for one of the warning lights on the dash to light up until today and it was too fast for me to discern which light it was, all I could see is that it was yellow (I believe) and on the left side.

This has happened three times over the past few weeks and this is why I'm wondering if it's the VSS or not. The first two times it was raining out and I was turning into a shopping center driveway a little fast and when tire went on to the sidewalk from the street (on the driveway), the warning beep went off. I wasn't sure if it was because I came around the corner too quick and the TPMS triggered from hitting the driveway too quick or if the VSS kicked in, but as I said, the warning came and went so fast that there wasn't enough time to light up a warning indicator on my dash.

Today (clear day), I am pulling into a parking lot and some person swings wide into my side of the driveway leaving the parking lot. There were people behind him so I decide to back up so he can make his swing and as I'm still going in reverse, albeit very slowly, I put the thing back into first gear and take off going forward and the warning buzzer goes off again for an instant but this time I saw something (I believe it was yellow) on the left side of the tachometer light up for an instant and then go away. It came and went so fast that I couldn't tell which light it was, so I'm wondering what it is that's causing my warning buzzer to go off like that.

I have an Si with the all season tires.

So I guess the tl;dr version of this would be, does the VSS or TPMS warning also have an audible alert associated with it? Or could it be something else.

Also, do you know if the dealer can find out what has set the warnings off in my car via their OBD computer or not? I'm taking it in for its first oil change in the next couple weeks and maybe I'll ask them to look into it as well but I thought I'd chime in here first as my car hasn't hit the 5k mark yet for its first oil change.

Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
If it is an triangle with an exclamation sign in it it is the vsa kicking in. It will let out a beep when it kicks in. That`s what shows up on my Cr-v.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Your manual should give an illustration of all the warnings. From that you can tell the area and what it might be.

I don't have the Si but when my traction control kicks there is a yellow image if a car slipping on the left side of the dash.

Find yourself a safe spot with some wet leaves and accellerate hard in them and watch the warnings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it is an triangle with an exclamation sign in it it is the vsa kicking in. It will let out a beep when it kicks in. That`s what shows up on my Cr-v.
Unfortunately the one time I saw something out of the corner of my eye, it came on and disappeared far too quickly for me to focus on it and determine which light it was.

Your manual should give an illustration of all the warnings. From that you can tell the area and what it might be.

I don't have the Si but when my traction control kicks there is a yellow image if a car slipping on the left side of the dash.

Find yourself a safe spot with some wet leaves and accellerate hard in them and watch the warnings.
It gives an illustration but as I just said to Blueribbon, I couldn't see which icon it was as it disappeared too quickly the one time I saw anything pop up. Also, the manual does not say which warning indicators have audible warning tones associated with them. Tomorrow when it rains I may try the leaf thing.

Did you have something in you passenger seat? Could be setting off the seat belt alarm.
No, my backpack is so heavy it actually triggers the airbag light intermittently so I always put it on the back seat on my commutes.

I purposely engaged VSA today during a snow storm (well, the traction control at least) and there was no beep. Just a yellow light on the dash.
If this is the case, I'm seriously going to have to figure out what it is that's causing the reminder/warning buzzer to go off. It does seem to have something to do with the VSA or the "possibility" of traction loss (I'm speculating).

Nobody touched on the final question I had, does anyone know if the OBD computer will tell what warnings have been tripped in the past? It would make life easier if I can just go into the dealer on my free time, have them plug the sucker in and they just say "oh! looks like this went off because we didn't completely plug in a harness!" or something to that extent.

Thanks for the replies so far! :thumb:

·
Registered
164 Posts
OBD ii will capture any malfunctions with the car. But I mean if its a simple seat belt alarm going off or vsa it will not track that. If you think something is wrong and you have access to OBD ii might aswell put your mind at ease in a way and see if there are any codes that pop up on it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I too have a warning beep sometimes but I can't figure out what it is. They are under normal driving conditions, no slip, no anything weird. Just one single beep and gone. No idea what it is.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
See if this is the flashing warning light you are seeing in this video. When the road was wet, taking off in first gear triggered the traction control so the rpms drop off slightly until traction is regained. I should have turned it off prior to taking off but just forgot to do that in this particular clip. I do not hear any warning because of the radio though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OBD ii will capture any malfunctions with the car. But I mean if its a simple seat belt alarm going off or vsa it will not track that. If you think something is wrong and you have access to OBD ii might aswell put your mind at ease in a way and see if there are any codes that pop up on it.
Thanks, I've never had a car with OBD ports in it before (that I know of) so I never knew what it reported.

See if this is the flashing warning light you are seeing in this video. When the road was wet, taking off in first gear triggered the traction control so the rpms drop off slightly until traction is regained. I should have turned it off prior to taking off but just forgot to do that in this particular clip. I do not hear any warning because of the radio though.

First two times nothing flickered at all. Third time, flickered too fast that I didn't see what it was before it went away, and I "believe" that the light was yellow. However, I caught it the last time it went off and the light was red this time, and it was the oil light!!!! The car beeped at me, and the light turned on for a fraction of a second and I caught it this time. When I went and checked the oil, I was about 1.5 quarts from maximum (the oil level was at the bottom the dipstick, under the minimum level dot, on a flat level surface). I have a feeling it may have something to do with what people are talking about in this thread.
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/2629-oil-consumption-break.html
The next day I put a quart of Mobil 1 0W-20 into it and it brought it up to between the min/max marks but I was not expecting to have lost that much oil as I rarely drive my car very hard and I lost over a quart of oil in less than 3k miles! I have an appointment with the dealer to check it out on Wednesday and I'm hoping it's just oil getting into nooks and crannies of the engine as I see no oil on the ground at my typical parking spaces. The car only has 4k miles on it and I hope the issue goes away. I am checking the oil level at every fill up lately to make sure I don't run it low again but I am curious to hear what the dealer is going to say when they check out my car. I talked to the guys inside and they haven't heard of any bulletins or recalls related to my specific issue yet. They did tell me that a while back they had a recall on the 2012s for something but that recall should not have affected me because my car was built after the recall. I'll let you all know what the service department says when I get my car back in case you are interested.

To the OP, does that happen when you have your radio on bluetooth?
Not sure what you're asking here. My phone is always paired with the car, but I never use the bluetooth for music as I use the iPod link or the XM radio primarily. I only use the bluetooth for hands-free telephone functionality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts