9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unorthodox Racing now has a pulley set for the 2012 Si. The set includes crank and alternator pulleys, and is good for about 9-13 horsepower across the rev range. Install time is about 2 hours, and your engine should feel like it revs a bit faster in addition to actually transmitting more power to the wheels.

^ The front two pulleys are basically what you get with this kit.

More information and to purchase: Honda Civic Unorthodox Racing High Performance Pulleys

As always, if any questions come up, post em' here!

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I've heard good and bad things on pulleys. Some say its worth it, some say don't bother and it hurts your engine in the long run but that's irreverent id say. Can any one elaborate on this? also the heard NST is better on the 8thgen so wait till they make a set for the 9thgen maybe? Any input is welcome!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
NST already makes a set for the 9th Si there is a link in the aftermarket parts thread for the Si's and a pulley kit is supposed to help free up some powet that is already there i cant see there being a negative to it but i dont think its worth it unless you are going supercharged

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
id like to add to my post found some good info on this or at least this is more for the NST
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
I think this is the key paragraph to stress here:

"What you will find on many modern engines is a harmonic damper. This is a small rubber band, litterally less than 2mm, less than 1/8th of an inch, thick that is built into the crank pulley. OEM crank pulleys are often called DAMPERS. Try placing an order for a crank pulley at your dealer and your invoice will read damper. This rubber is used to absorb something called NVH, noise/vibration/harshness. Suffice it to say, this rubber is actually not very good at performing its intended purpose after as little as a few thousand miles. What happens to rubber after a couple years of humidity, weather, snow, rain, etc? It often becomes brittle, hard, and crunchy. Can something with these properties actually absorb vibrations very well?"

To sum things up, these high performance pulley kits, like the Unorthodox one, have no effect on the BALANCE of the engine because it is internally balanced from the factory. As far as HARMONICS, the band of rubber on the factory pulley is designed to reduce noise. It is not designed to somehow save the engine from catastrophic failure...if it was Honda probably would require you to replace it every 5,000 miles at minimum in order to keep your warranty. As we all know, Honda engines last hundreds of thousands of miles without every replacing the crank pulley. Older Honda motors don't even have rubber on their crank pulleys.

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
has anyone installed a pulley set yet?

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
has anyone installed a pulley set yet?
Not sure if anyone on this forum has, but people definitely have pulleys on their 9th gens. I think it's something most customers will do after an intake and exhaust (and now FlashPro too).

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Not sure if anyone on this forum has, but people definitely have pulleys on their 9th gens. I think it's something most customers will do after an intake and exhaust (and now FlashPro too).
Ya I plan to do it but it will be after I'm full bolt on, might do it at the same time as flashpro, but I want someone else to do it first lol maybe get a DIY on here or something

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: POPDaddy and Digger

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
The top 2 are individual pulleys and the bottom one includes both pulleys so that you get a discount. If you are going to get it then buy both so you don't have to do it 2 separate times

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
why waste money on those crap when oem crank/pulley are well balance. if you want to see a big difference go buy a light fly wheel.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree on that one!! Had a lightweight Fidanza FW on my Mazda 626 V6.... God was that awesome!! Motorcycle like Revving and better acceleration. The car idled like it had some mild cams too.. :D

Marko!

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
DOHCtor,
I respect all of your posts and your involvement in this forum. It's very much appreciated.

immajackuup,
Same to you. Sometimes however you get a little heated or bias with your posts. No hard feelings, really. Again, I appreciate both of your help on this website. I always look forward to reading what the two of you and the rest of the members have to say. Thanks!

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
why waste money on those crap when oem crank/pulley are well balance. if you want to see a big difference go buy a light fly wheel.
Why is it a waste, isn't 15% underdrive? And can we use any 8th gen flywheel or just the OEM one without CEL?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Its not a waste for people who are going an all motor setup because every little bit counts and when CT Engineering comes out with the supercharger for the Si a pulley upgrade would be good if you want to get a little more power out of the supercharger, the 8th gen flywheel will work on the 9th Si but you may get CEL altho if you have flashpro i think you can get rid of the CEL that way

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 95 Posts