9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be doing some traveling. I have family in South Carolina so I will be going through the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia. What can I expect as far as power of getting up and over the mountains?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,419 Posts
I expect you'll get there.

·
Baned
8,538 Posts
How much horsepower and torque do you have? Is it just you and your wife, or you and your wife and some kids and a whole bunch of stuff that will weigh the car down?

sent from my mobile communications device

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,419 Posts
Well, I wasn't really sure what he was getting at. I, like most of us, have taken long distance interstate drives with a packed car, and have always gotten where I'm going. It's no racing trip, but it always works out. We always get there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took a trip from NYC to TN across I-78 and down I-81 (and back up).  The car was mostly empty on the trip down but filled to the gills on the way back. When I drove trying to get good gas mileage (for me good = +50 MPG) I had problems getting over the big hills because I underestimated the speed I would have to increase on the downhills to maintain the speed limit back up on the uphills.

In retrospect I would have probably taken the econ off at those points just to make it over the hill and take the MPG hit. My wife could not be bothered to try to get good mileage when she drove, so she used cruise control and had no problems. Of course she averaged about 46MPG and I got 52.

Needless to say, we are going to take the minivan on our next trip down where I can fret on trying to get 30+ MPG, but do it in relative comfort and no ECON button. And I will probably be able to sleep when wifey is driving….

1 - 6 of 6 Posts