9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Do any of you always leave your USB flash drive or an iPod/media device constantly plugged into the USB port?

I think the manual advices us against this, but it's a constant hassle to plug/unplug the device everytime I get down from the car, so I was wondering if any of you always leave your USB/media device plugged into the USB port of your civic and if you do, then is everything okay or have you experienced problems?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I always leave my crappy iPod plugged in. What does the manual hint at that gives you the impression that it's a bad idea to always keep it plugged in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I read this in the manual:

Does this mean not allowed to be "plugged in" or just placed anywhere in the vehicle? I guess my only concern is if something did end up breaking in the USB portion of our audio system and we went in for a warranty fix, the dealer might say too bad you voided that part of the warranty when you left your USB plugged in all the time.

What do you guys make of this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think leaving your iPod plugged in all the time is going to damage anything. I think by leaving it plugged in the only thing you do run the risk of is damaging your iPod due to the heat that builds up in your car. If you park in the shade, have tints, use windshield covers, etc then you should be fine. I've been doing IT for six years and I've never heard of anything USB-related that can be damaged over time simply because you've kept it plugged in...if anything, the constant connecting/unconnecting could damage the conductors within the plug.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The statement in the manual only refers to the device and has nothing to do with the vehicle or the warranty. They are just warning you, If you leave it in your car, the device might overheat and malfunction due to the heat in the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I may have seemed a little paranoid but this is my first "brand new" car under warranty so I'm just taking precautions.

But I really appreciate all your help. Thanks so much guys. :)

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
I always leave my ipod usb cord plugged in and just unplug/plug my ipod everytime i get into the car. Its not good to leave the ipod in the car, especially in tx right now since its still pretty warm, cuz it can damage ur screen as it states that in the ipod manual. Thats what i do. Its no big deal to unplug and plug really

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh okay cool, I'm just using a USB flash drive so I'd have to leave it plugged in all the time in that case.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My USB stick stays in the console compartment, so no direct sun. The temperature range for HP USB sticks is 0C to 70C (32F to 160F) operating, -20C to 85C (0F to 185F) storage. I would expect other quality sticks to have similar ratings.

IIRC the iPod has similar lower limits, but the upper storage limit is around 115F. Good idea to take the iPod with you on a hot day.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Oh okay cool, I'm just using a USB flash drive so I'd have to leave it plugged in all the time in that case.
I also leave my usb flash drive plugged in and so far so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're concerned I'd suggest a USB drive that is designed for extreme conditions if your normal flash drive isn't designed to operate in such temperatures since the fan likely won't cool it off unless you open the arm rest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts