9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to use the USB port in the centre console for charging. Right now it doesn't properly charge. My Android phone alternates between charging and not charging every 1 second or so. I tried an iPhone and got it to charge but android phones don't seem to charge. Is there anything I need to do or replace to get it to work?

·
Registered
454 Posts
have you tried using a different charging cable? it's possible the cable you're using for the android phone might just be worn. If the iPhone get's a good charge then it most likely is not the USB port that's the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried 3 different android phones, 3 different cables, 2 different iPhones, 2 different lightning cables. Yields same result.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Went through this on a Kindle recently. Like all USB, it's got power, but this one is for data (music/JPEG). It doesn't seem to have amperage for charging. My 12 Si has a USB in front of shifter that does charge, or either of the cig lighter charges devices. Think this port is for thumb drives for MP3 music, or uploading picks for the extra mini screen by speedo.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some more specifics: the USB port in the console is limited to 0.5a. That is the USB standard for a "data" port. In order for it to provide any more current, the data lines have to be shorted together (so data cannot be sent through it) or there has to be a network of resistors to indicate the level of current available.

If you REALLY want to have a USB only port that can charge your phones, you will need to install a dedicated one for charge only, which you can connect to the cigarette lighter wires behind the panel.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think it's interesting that most people on here say the center console USB is not ideal for charging...just because I've always used it for charging my iPhone...I mean I don't use it often, only when Im in desperate need for a charge but today when I left work in at the afternoon I plugged my phone in at around 2% battery and in the 20-25 minutes it took for me to drive to my gf's apartment it charged it up to 25% which I consider to be pretty good for a car USB port

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think it's interesting that most people on here say the center console USB is not ideal for charging...just because I've always used it for charging my iPhone...I mean I don't use it often, only when Im in desperate need for a charge but today when I left work in at the afternoon I plugged my phone in at around 2% battery and in the 20-25 minutes it took for me to drive to my gf's apartment it charged it up to 25% which I consider to be pretty good for a car USB port
We say that, cause yes it has power (all USB does), but it's intended for data.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an iPhone 6S that would indicate it was taking a charge from the USB in the center console (2012 Honda Civic), but it never got charged. Someone on this site told me that the voltage wasn't high enough to charge an iPhone. I ended up buying a $16 converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and I've never been happier. The charge can also handle a 110 volt appliance.

Can't speak to Androids. Sorry. Hope this helps nevertheless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Using the cigarette lighter is a good idea. I am guessing your phone is get old, the battery is getting old, and the built in charger is struggling to charge the internal battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts