9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally corrected my paint.This was my first time trying this. I used a Porter Cable, and Jesstzn's suggestion of optimum compound, polish and duragloss 105.
Came out PERFECT! I bought all my supplies at Autogeek.com. The pads are all CCS smart pads, and are color coded.
I wanted to start a small section with the attitude of less first. So, I tried a white pad with just the Optimum polish. No swirls were removed. Then I tried a pink pad with the polish...better..but still swirls. Then I just went to the Optimum hyper compound with an orange pad. PERFECT. Great paint correction!
Then, I used the Optimum polish with a white pad, then the duragloss. With both the compound and the polish, I did six passes over an area. The whole project was 7 hours. Well worth the time and money spent.

Jesstin is correct that if you throw any wax over scratched paint...it is not going to come out good at all. You must do all your PREP before you apply waxes and polishes to get great results. I was using several waxes and polishes before I bought my Porter Cable and pads. Nothing worked before.
Now, I have white paint that is swirl free and shines shines shines. ! Once again Jesstzn, thank you! Great combo!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post pics tomorrow.
I bought a kit. The kit from autogeeks allowed me to pick 6 pads. I got 2 orange for light cutting, 2 white for super light cutting/polishing, and 2 blue pads for sealants and waxes.

Do not forget the pad conditioner and the pad cleaner. I would not have been able to clean them without the pad cleaner.

Did you buy the Porter Cable with a kit (pads and other things included) ?
I'm thinking of getting one this spring, just not sure what pads etc I need to go with it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice. Glad to hear it worked. Can't wait to buy mine and the temperature to get higher.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
725 Posts
I finally corrected my paint.This was my first time trying this. I used a Porter Cable, and Jesstzn's suggestion of optimum compound, polish and duragloss 105.
Came out PERFECT! I bought all my supplies at Autogeek.com. The pads are all CCS smart pads, and are color coded.
I wanted to start a small section with the attitude of less first. So, I tried a white pad with just the Optimum polish. No swirls were removed. Then I tried a pink pad with the polish...better..but still swirls. Then I just went to the Optimum hyper compound with an orange pad. PERFECT. Great paint correction!
Then, I used the Optimum polish with a white pad, then the duragloss. With both the compound and the polish, I did six passes over an area. The whole project was 7 hours. Well worth the time and money spent.

Jesstin is correct that if you throw any wax over scratched paint...it is not going to come out good at all. You must do all your PREP before you apply waxes and polishes to get great results. I was using several waxes and polishes before I bought my Porter Cable and pads. Nothing worked before.
Now, I have white paint that is swirl free and shines shines shines. ! Once again Jesstzn, thank you! Great combo!
I ordered the Duragloss products he recommended from AutoGeek.com, too; paint epoxy sealer left on and then #105 on top and buff off all, one panel at a time. Looks great! Thanks to Jesstzn.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
image.jpg Shine proof!

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Duragloss #105 he used is a sealant and lasts much longer than a carnauba wax.
Yes the dura gloss 105 is great. I have read that many use a synthetic such as dura gloss 105 , then a layer of good wax over that.
I will only use duragloss105 because it wipes off extremely easy, and is not dusty/messy.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I used Duragloss #105 on my car before the winter rains hit and it still performs great, Jesstzn's advice on washing and what products to use like the #105 has been great. I plan to get the Porter Cable, I have some very minor micro marring from my neighbor brushing fir needles off my car after a wind storm. You have to really look to notice, but since it's my car it bugs me to no end, but there is not point in doing anything about it until spring is here.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Sweet! Thanks JOE:)

No problem, here is what Jesstzn told me when I asked him how to apply it:

"I apply it with one of those 4" yellow round applicators .. Apply it thin ... 1 oz should do your car, apply it in a circular motion overlapping the last line by 50%. It flashes pretty fast so you can apply it to the roof then remove it etc .. if your in the cool of the evening or the shade you can apply it to the whole car then remove.

Yes a good quality plush M/F is good for removing .. remove in straight lines where you can .. same direction as the wind flows over the car. "

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey, thinking about doing my CBP Si, Is the Portar Cable Idiot proof ? Saw the deals on auto geek also and seems like I want to go your route just making sure I can't do any more harm to my car :D haha. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts