9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curisoty I bought a valve spring tester to test the valve springs I took out of my SI last month.

The intake springs are 55lb's on the seat, the exhaust springs are 50lb's on the seat.

Thats pretty much the same as the 06+ si springs, so by that logic the valve train with stock cams should be good to 8600 rpms or so.

the 12+ intake cam is bigger than the 06 intake cam, but the exhaust cam is much smaller.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Thanks for the info. and buying the tester so we won't need to now. If anything is over-built it should be valve springs among other things.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Just out of curisoty I bought a valve spring tester to test the valve springs I took out of my SI last month.

The intake springs are 55lb's on the seat, the exhaust springs are 50lb's on the seat.

Thats pretty much the same as the 06+ si springs, so by that logic the valve train with stock cams should be good to 8600 rpms or so.

the 12+ intake cam is bigger than the 06 intake cam, but the exhaust cam is much smaller.
That's identical to the 06-11 springs lol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These have a different retainer and the install height is a lot lower than the 06 stuff

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's right.. I had em out and they are physically different from the earlier stuff so I figured I'd test em

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yeah they're different part numbers. it stands to reason that they'd be dissimilar on an engine that is much different than the other k series.

I meant the numbers they put out. That's 06-11 on the nose.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hmm this is what i was worried about. Getting ready to do flashpro and was thinking of keeping stock limiter because my ep3 dropped a valve when i rasied the limiter. Wonder if the bottom end would hold up though if i put it at 7500. Im an asshole and see limiter daily and drive very hard. Think i should stick to stock limiter?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would look at dyno graphs of your car and have that help you make a decision. Is the car making power still or is it falling off? Revving higher may not be beneficial for that reason. I think by 7200 rpm you are already starting to drop power. But if not, more research into the top end strength may reveal that reving higher is ok.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
hmm this is what i was worried about. Getting ready to do flashpro and was thinking of keeping stock limiter because my ep3 dropped a valve when i rasied the limiter. Wonder if the bottom end would hold up though if i put it at 7500. Im an asshole and see limiter daily and drive very hard. Think i should stick to stock limiter?
i red line mine to 7600 every day for fun. power fall off at 7300.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I think by 7200 rpm you are already starting to drop power. But if not, more research into the top end strength may reveal that reving higher is ok.
I've tested mine on a dyno and taken the car to 7800 rpm just to see.
car still makes power when properly tuned that high.
the difference in my tune was 6whp compare from 7500 to 7800.

For me 6whp isn't worth the excess stress the motor is going through.
For others it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts