9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey 9th gen, so I've been having this issue with a loud noise coming from the front left wheel area of my car. My guess is I need a new brake rotor, however I'd like some input on whether or not it may something more serious than just the brake rotor.

First heard this noise in Nov 2017, figured it was the dust shield making contact with the brake rotor, so i adjusted the dust shield, noise went away for 2 weeks, then returned, and the disappeared for a couple of months. Now, as of Feb 2018, the noise has returned and louder than ever. This happens when the car is at driving at slow speeds, or from a start or going in reverse. I don't believe it's the throwout bearing as I can have the car in neutral, clutch out or in, and the noise will continue. My guess is that I need a new brake rotor.

here's a video, yes my car is loud but the noise starts at 0:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8B2_YKgOmc&feature=youtu.be

If you listen closely, it sounds like something is wobbling, its not one constant screech but instead it'll screech, stop, screech, stop, screech.
Could it be that my brake rotor is not sitting flush with the center bore?

2014 civic si sedan, 70,000km with 16" steelies and winter tires, lowered on tein springs.
Bought the car used, unsure if brakes were previously changed, I have not heard any squeaking noises which would be a good indication of bad brakes, but will be changing brakes soon.
Also the moment I step on the brakes the noise goes away, i sometimes coast up to a red lights and that's when the noise is loudest, when the brakes are untouched and I'm in neutral coming to a stop.

Any help would be appreciated thank you! I'd like to fix whatever I can on my own and avoid shop fees.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,254 Posts
Yep, brake pads are the first thing to check. Pull the wheel. Everything is right there for a look-see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your brake pads are not moving away from rotor. The brake springs push them away. I had same noise. When I serviced the brakes, removed caliper the pads stayed put. When I cleaned and lubed everything I had to hold the pads on guide after springs reinstalled to lower caliper back into position.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so to update the thread.

So at the time of the video I had my steelies on.
Fast forward to April, I put my summers on, and all of a sudden the noise is gone. Like completely gone. It's been a month now and still no noise, even if I try to recreate it.

So what does that mean? I still don't know the answer for sure, but clearly it relates to my steelies.
I've checked the tread, the inner part of the steelies, looked for cracks, bends etc., and couldn't find anything that would cause the noise.
My guess is that a portion of the steelies is rubbing against somewhere, whether it be the brakes or dust shield.

Next time I take the wheels off, I'm definitely going to look for signs or rubbing or scraping.

Im lowered on tein springs, the steelies are 16", so I wouldnt be surprised if it's rubbing somewhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am experiencing the same noise! if you ever got this figured out please let me know !
Hey, i actually never found the cause of the noise.

Ever since i rotated my wheels I haven't heard it since. So I seriously have no idea if it was the steelie making contact with maybe my caliper? But why would it only make the noise on the left side and and not the passenger side?

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the reply! & man thats crazy! honestly i just got this 2015 si & i just cant seem to figure out where that noise is coming from. i have the stock oem rims on right now, will have some new shoes soon anyways i guess! ill post how it goes, hopefully away or figured out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts