9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resonator/Muffler Question

I currently have the AFE/Takeda Cat back exhaust and intake for the sedan and sometimes the in car drone can get pretty loud to where I just want to put the stock exhaust back on. I used to not mind it but I guess i'm old..lol jk.. I just don't want the loud droning in the car and I also want a quieter exhaust tone without it being ricey or raspy. I was looking around on 8thgencivic forums and other forums that aren't Honda forums. I was trying to get the idea of what a resonator does, some say it works with the droning sound and some say it doesn't. I've also watched plenty youtube videos which I know I cant really get the full effect of how this setup is or how resonators help. My question is Would a 18" Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator with or without a Vibrant Streetpower muffler be a good/quiet combo for a daily driver? I don't mind if its somewhat loud on WOT, just as long as its deep but I don't want it loud during city or long trips. Anyone have any experience or input on this setup or any suggestions? Thanks in advance. These are the parts I was considering.
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3151
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=389_209_188&products_id=6454

·
Registered
949 Posts
If you want a quieter ride that is drone free, i would tig weld the longest perforated core resonator that you could find! 24'' or longer would do the trick! Vibrant have some as well as Magnaflow!!

Marko!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had the AFE cat back exhaust on my '12 SI but and I liked it at first, but then the loudness and drone became annoying and took away the fun of driving my SI. I was also over the dual tip look. I liked how it filled the space more and it was different but I wanted and needed change..lol. I did a ton of research on mufflers/resonators, read multiple Honda and Non-Honda forums, watched multiple Youtube videos and decided to pull the trigger and buy the Vibrant resonator and Vibrant Streetpower muffler. I kept the 2.5" AFE piping and just added the resonator and muffler and I am more than impressed with the looks, performance and sound of the Vibrant muffler and resonator. I cant get a video at the moment but will try to in the next week or two. It almost sounds like the Borla exhaust from what I can tell from the Youtube video. Its quiet and a little bit louder than stock throughout the whole RPM range even through VTEC and WOT. I paid $65 to get these parts installed which isn't bad at all when shops usually charge around $100 or more. Let me know what you guys think.

Vibrant Streetpower Stealth muffler 2.5" inlet/3" outlet #1146
Vibrant bottle style resonator 18" overall length/15.5" long x 5" round resonator / 2.5"inlet/outlet #17930

I was able to get a video of the muffler inside the car today. Might not be the best but you should get the idea.. pretty much sounds stock but a little bit louder in person.

Attachments

Reactions: missK24

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should of just put your stock shit back on IMO

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Yea I thought about it but I didnt want stock, I wanted to keep the 2.5" all the way through. I also wanted something louder than stock and this is perfect for me. It can be heard but isnt ear deafening and doesn't scream for attention. I was also loving the black muffler.

Definitely digging the look. Nice choice!
Thanks

Reactions: Djdecybals

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Nice, I can't wait to see some video. :)

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
189 Posts
You beat me to it lol. I had this one installed on my sentra and decided to use it on my si. I sanded it and sprayed it black. Looks great, but I haven't installed it yet.

Vibrant Performance ::.

i was also gonna purchase the resonator.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow i just posted yesterday saying how much i loved the sound and look of the vibrant streetpower exhaust on the 8th gens..guero where did you buy your muffler at?
I bought the muffler and resonator from thmotorsports.com because its free shipping, no sales tax and a couple dollars cheaper than usual.. lol..I recieved everything in about a week.. heres a coupon list for them THMotorsports Coupon Code and Promo Code List - THMotorsports - Discount Performance Car & Truck Parts Sale | Lowest Price | Free Shipping

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought the muffler and resonator from thmotorsports.com because its free shipping, no sales tax and a couple dollars cheaper than usual.. lol..I recieved everything in about a week.. heres a coupon list for them THMotorsports Coupon Code and Promo Code List - THMotorsports - Discount Performance Car & Truck Parts Sale | Lowest Price | Free Shipping

nice man thanks for the link and coupon i appreciate that..im just going to order the vibrant muffler for now...this would fit my stock si right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
nice man thanks for the link and coupon i appreciate that..im just going to order the vibrant muffler for now...this would fit my stock si right?
It should fit the stock exhaust.. I dont see why it wouldnt fit

should of kept it stock or afe.
The AFE was too loud at times and sometimes sounded awesome... The exhaust loudness would vary throughout the RPM's from where I would have to turn my radio up and really watch how hard I press the throttle. I don't like setting off alarms or even the warning chirp when im driving down the street. I also commute on the freeway everyday to work and just running errands. I used to love the exhaust but grew tired of it.. The stock one was nice too but I wanted something a little louder and if I wasn't happy with my current choice I would have definitely put my stock one back on. I don't like exhaust that scream like WOT when your only going 35-40 mph.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
deal with it!!! is better then gehtto rig like a ricer and stuff.
So are you trying to say my exhaust is ricer now? If so then please explain how its ricer when all I wanted was to make it quieter to fit my personal preference. Do you have the AFE exhaust?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
for anyone that has this Vibrant muffler installed... the tip is only 5" long, so I'm assuming the tip is tucked further under the bumper than stock (stock tip is about 9" long)? there's a stainless steel version of this muffler with an 8" tip. anyone have that one installed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly what res did you get? Part number or size? I'm running a strait pip. Sounds horable and is crazy loud! Lol but I'm amused by how ridiculous it sounds. Anyway I want to keep a lot of the noise but tone it down a bit and clean up some of the pop. I have no plans on putting a muffler on but I do want to put a res.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I tried the Vibrant 12" bottle resonator with my Tanabe axle back and the drone was bad. I put the OE resonator back in. Maybe the 18" bottle resonator or Ultra Quiet would've been better. I've tried several different setups now and they all drone at the worst RPM range... 3k - 4K RPM. My conclusion... Leave the OE resonator and get an axle back muffler that has the sound you like (if you're just wanting sound).

color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts