9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I fist got the car at the end of Oct. there was some sort of film/residue on the windshield. the dealer tried all different solutions on it and no luck. Finally they used #0000 Steel Wool and soap to remove the residue.

The issue I am having now is that the wipers won't remove the misting thrown up by cars and trucks on winter roads. The wiper seems to not cut the dirty mist but it seems to smear it on the first pass then just gloss over it on the way back.

Most other wipers on the numerous cars I have had will remove 95% of the crud on the first pass and 99% on the way back.

It seems like the glass is porous and not allowing a cleen swipe.

The dealer has changed the wiper refills twice now with no improvement.

In a medium rain last night the wiper was like it was not totally clearing the glass. There was always an optical film left.

I even tried 20/10 on it and it cleaned up any residue but not the issue . I have tried 3 different washer fluids and interestingly when using the fluid it makes a clean pass... but not when the wiper is used to remove the misting from vehicles in fromt of you or coming the other way.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Have you tried spraying it with Rain X (not the washer fluid, but the yellow spray bottle), washing/buffing it in at all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's too bad nobody else chimed in with a solution to the OP's issue. I have the exact same problems, almost word for word. I've been through three different sets of wipers and they all work for crap on my windshield. I've never had a car that was so hard to find decent wipers for. :(

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The local dealer changed the windshield out and so far it seems to have solved the issue .. mind you as luck would have it we haven't had much for rain or snow since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everybody. I just saw this and I have to say I was dumbfounded that anyone would attempt to clean a windshield with steel wool. Unbelievable. What I can say, and I know this may sound crazy at first, is that good 'ol rubbing alcohol works wonders on all sorts of stuff stuck on windshields. I used alcohol on tree sap that most ordinary cleaners wouldn't touch. It dissolved the sap in a heartbeat. Next time you get crab on the windshield try a high-percentage rubbing alcohol--might just work wonders for you

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everybody. I just saw this and I have to say I was dumbfounded that anyone would attempt to clean a windshield with steel wool. Unbelievable. What I can say, and I know this may sound crazy at first, is that good 'ol rubbing alcohol works wonders on all sorts of stuff stuck on windshields. I used alcohol on tree sap that most ordinary cleaners wouldn't touch. It dissolved the sap in a heartbeat. Next time you get crab on the windshield try a high-percentage rubbing alcohol--might just work wonders for you

I am a pro detailer and have all the products & tools ..yes rubbing alcohol was tried .. so was clay baring and polishing .. Using #0000 steel wool with a good lube is not uncommon at all .. Just don't do it on mirrors as they have a softer glass. Rule of thumb, always try the least aggressive first.

Nothing will take out the etching that was there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts