9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start the car, I noticed there's a one time loud clicking sound coming from around the glove box area. It happens as soon as the engine is being started.

It's a bit difficult to describe through words, so I captured it with my phone. The sound appear at the 12-second mark.

Any idea what is it? Normal?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Cold start? The 9th gens definitely have alot of whirring/whining sounds when they start cold. So i wouldnt worry too much about it. Even the owner's manual mentions something about start up noises being normal. Take a look and see if you can find what im talking about...my car came with like 174 books so i forgot which one lol!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I'm confused by this sound. I have never heard this kind of noise behind the glovebox before in other cars or even the 8th Gen.

It always appear whenever you start the car, whether cold start or not. I could turn off and turn on the engine 10 times yet I could replicate this noise without fail in exactly the same manner. It sounded mechanical in nature with 3 clicks. You can hear it from the 11-13 second mark. It's definitely not whirring or whinning.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Well if you have no difficulty reproducing it, take it to the dealer and have em check it out:eusa_think:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Watched the video - I don't hear anything out of place. There is a lot of relays and contacters that operate when the car turns on. They all click and tick until the car has done all of its diagnostics and is running fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Take her in... I am curious as to what it might be.. Let us know?

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
I agree about the relays... But there could be an underlying issue does seem to stand out a bit... And do you notice if it started out of nowhere? Or was it always there?

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
42 Posts
It always appear whenever you start the car, whether cold start or not. I could turn off and turn on the engine 10 times yet I could replicate this noise without fail in exactly the same manner. It sounded mechanical in nature with 3 clicks. You can hear it from the 11-13 second mark. It's definitely not whirring or whinning.
So I'm assuming the sound is the only symptom and there are no problems with the car starting? If so, I'd chalk it up as normal.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
RevHung
181 Posts
Well if you have no difficulty reproducing it, take it to the dealer and have them check it out
:eusa_think:
Take it in for answers if its bothering you.

I wouldn't worry to much about it though , sounds normal to me.

Then again I'm not sticking my head inside the glove box every time I start my car !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Air mixture door going to it's last known position?

Agreed - it's under warranty - take it in.

Chip H.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It sounds normal to me, but as others said. If it bothers you and comes on every time take it in.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OCD may be right heh but in all fairness it's loud enough to be heard even when you're sitting in the driver's seat. I figure the noise was always there but the sound may be drown out by the engine starting sound if you're not paying attention.

I manage to drop by the showroom for a quick visit and the foreman pointed out it's the electronic power steering (EPS) module clicking. There's no time to leave the car there for a detailed check up but we did look at one other 9th Gen there. Goods news (i think) is the sound is there as well but bad news is the clicking sound on that car is so soft it's barely audible. We literally had to put our ear right next to the glovebox to hear it and even then it's really soft. On my car it's loud enough to draw your attention.

Frankly I'm not too sure what to make of it. Is it a problem because it's distinctly loud?

For those who said it's normal. Do you have the same exact sound with the same loudness as well?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts