9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t understand how this works. Also I cleaned my windshield with alcohol, vinegar, and Krud remover and this still happens. This isn’t after using wiper blades by the way. It’s just after getting in the car.

Water Atmosphere World Sky Building

·
Registered
431 Posts
you say above thats not after using the wipers... then what are we talking about here?
a coating on the glass?

maybe the windshield was treated with one of those trico or aquapel treatments and they missed a spot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you say above thats not after using the wipers... then what are we talking about here?
a coating on the glass?

maybe the windshield was treated with one of those trico or aquapel treatments and they missed a spot.
a spot? you mean like 80% of the entire windshield?

If alcohol, vinegar, and krud remover can't remove whatever this "treatment" is, what can?

·
Registered
521 Posts
The clay pads work well for removing hard water spots and existing hydrophobic coatings, but if the damage is deeper you may want to consider using a glass polishing compound with a regular non-DA polisher with a foam backed felt pad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The clay pads work well for removing hard water spots and existing hydrophobic coatings, but if the damage is deeper you may want to consider using a glass polishing compound with a regular non-DA polisher with a foam backed felt pad.
I'm thinking I'll give this a go and then maybe seal it with more Rain-X after.

Packaging and labeling Rectangle Material property Font Electric blue

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That might work well but most professional detailers tend to use clay bars with a lubricant such as liquid glass cleaner or isopropyl alcohol to remove old hydrophobic coatings.
Ya I didn't want to wait for shipping so I did 70% iso wipe down then covered with rain-x. we'll see how it goes.

Another weird thing is that I was cleaning my wiper blade rubber with 70% iso and no matter how many passes I did, the towel would constantly get big dark spots all over it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this morning I couldn’t see anything out of my windshield and it was like it was permanently fogging. I think it might be this rain x turd. Going to have to remove it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ya I didn't want to wait for shipping so I did 70% iso wipe down then covered with rain-x. we'll see how it goes.

Another weird thing is that I was cleaning my wiper blade rubber with 70% iso and no matter how many passes I did, the towel would constantly get big dark spots all over it.
The 70% ISO you're using is partially breaking down the surface of the wipers... that's the only place that the "big dark spots" could come from.

I didn't see but have you ever clayed the windshield? Been having problems with mine and after clay barring no more problems.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 70% ISO you're using is partially breaking down the surface of the wipers... that's the only place that the "big dark spots" could come from.

I didn't see but have you ever clayed the windshield? Been having problems with mine and after clay barring no more problems.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Could you recommend a product?

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts

That's a great idea.

After much research I purchased an excellent couple of products for prepping and then waxing the extraordinarily faded paint on my VW. The results are spectacular. I'm going to try the prepping solution and pad, and then the wax, on my windshield.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts