9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm very sure there was a thread about this whole weird rubbing/grinding sound coming from first gear, at least in the 2012 Civic Si's. I was just wondering if anyone posted any new information or even found out what the whole problem was in the first place just so I can take my civic to Honda and have them finally fix this. Any information will help! Thanks everyone! :)

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Clutch plate springs. If it is the noise that I think you are referring to. Honda has been replacing clutches for people that bring it in before the warranty period is up. Not sure if they have been doing many after that under their goodwill policy.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Clutch plate springs. If it is the noise that I think you are referring to. Honda has been replacing clutches for people that bring it in before the warranty period is up. Not sure if they have been doing many after that under their goodwill policy.
36,371 for my goodwill replacement. It's something within the clutch. Couldn't get a full answer from my dealer but they replaced the throwout bearing, friction plate and pressure plate. You'll have to jump through some hoops and show definitively that you have the sound when you start from a stop in first gear, a video of it, audio recording, etc is helpful. They'll want to do a drive and reproduce it there too. And if you get all the way there, they'll call Honda tech line and will look for specific wear on the clutch before they replace it.

So...if you have that weird squeaking/grinding sound when you start, it's a moderately common problem. Sorry 'bout that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol i knew it was a common issue, I just didn't know if Honda finally figured it out. Last time I asked them they said they had no idea as to what I was talking about. I'lll have to speak to them again. Thanks again guys!

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Don't expect them to know what is going on, do expect to have to drag them into figuring it out with your help hopefully.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently they have no clue as to what issue I am having, but I'm bringing my car in and will be taking one of their mechanic's on a ride with me to prove that my car is having the issue that I stated to them over the phone. Hopefully this will all go well lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my car to make the noise with a tech in the car.
They then replaced the entire clutch (the specific culprit was the clutch pressure plate springs) under warranty.
Well actually I paid $200 to replace some worn items while they had the clutch torn apart.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Apparently they have no clue as to what issue I am having, but I'm bringing my car in and will be taking one of their mechanic's on a ride with me to prove that my car is having the issue that I stated to them over the phone. Hopefully this will all go well lol.
Yes, many dealers probably won't because their is no Service Bulletin or Recall out on this issue yet. All of the owners of 2012 Si's and people on this forum know it's a common issue because we have seen everybody talking and complaining about it but dealers wont know it's a common issue like K24 engines burning oil or something notorious like that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got my car to make the noise with a tech in the car.
They then replaced the entire clutch (the specific culprit was the clutch pressure plate springs) under warranty.
Well actually I paid $200 to replace some worn items while they had the clutch torn apart.
What exactly were the worn items, if you do not mind me asking? With tranny out, I see easy access to: pressure plate, flywheel, throw-out (release) bearing, clutch disc, and pilot bearing. If it were my Si, I would have the dealer replace every one of these items (the only exception might be the pilot bearing).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took my 2012 SI in 25000 miles for this same sound. We could not get the car to make the sound but the tech said let me call the technical service line and see what they say. After about 15 minutes he came and told me its the throw out bearing. It needs replaced they told him they have seen everything from it just being the bearing all the way up to the fingers in the pressure plate being bent. I am taking my car in Saturday for the throw out bearing and possibly and new Clutch and pressure plate depending on the damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, many dealers probably won't because their is no Service Bulletin or Recall out on this issue yet.
I found this on NHTSA website. Is it referring to the same issue that we're having?

You can find it here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues look up 2012 Honda Civic and the Service Bulletin Tab.

Service Bulletin No.: SB-10-11
Component(s): POWER TRAIN

NHTSA ID Number: 10053784

[h=4] All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin [/h] [h=4]Details [/h] [h=4]0 Associated Documents[/h] Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
[h=5]SUMMARY:[/h] HONDA: WHEN ACCELERATING FROM A STOP, IN SOME VEHICLES, NOISE IS HEARD FROM CLUTCH WHILE ENGAGED IN 1ST GEAR, AND SOUNDS LIKE A SQUEAKING, OR GROANING, OR GRINDING, RUBBING OR METALLIC. MODEL 2012 CIVIC. *PE

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this problem with 1st gear clutch noise too, and have been complaining about it with every dealer service since the car had about 35,000 miles on it.
My 2012 Si now has 76,000 miles on it, and though technically out of warranty, we will try again with the dealership this week.
Of course in the past the clutch never made any noise when a Honda tech drove the car, or I while was trying to reproduce the problem at the dealership.
We like Hondas a lot... In the last ten years we have owned 3 Civic Si's, an S2000, a CRZ, and a Ridgeline.
This 2012 Civic Si is the first Honda we've had any problems with that are not attributable to normal wear and tear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts