9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 950 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know there are a ton of different car buying programs out there such as Truecar.com (which i have used and it works great), Costco auto buying, Military buying, and im sure others. The only problem is that i dont know how much info they will have if any on such a new car. I refuse to pay anything over invoice and will gladly walk away from a dealer that isnt willing to do it. So what are you willing to pay and do you use any buying programs such as these or others?

And anyone that says they just pay MSRP will get :S-A-Smack:.......

·
Registered
246 Posts
Usually what I do is go on edmunds.com and see what the invoice is. Then I go to a few dealers and walk in saying I'm looking for such and such car in this color and say I want to pay this (say amount). Can you do that? Usually the salesman will go to see his manager and come out with him and tell me/us that he can do something close to it and then tell me $1000+ and then tell me but that includes the pin stripes, wheel locks, mud gaurds and little things like that which add more to the cost of the car and I usually refuse and walk away. Sometimes when walking out they will follow and work something better out or let you walk out and call you withing the next 1-3 days. I've even gotten a few acceosories included with the car for the invoice price. Its all about knowing how to talk.

For the rookies and people who dont like to talk, theres a website which does all the business and talking or even give you a set price that you just print out and take it in and the dealer will give you that price. At the moment I dont remember what the website is, but if someone know what I'm talking about, please share it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not really about being a rookie, but some people are just busy and its easier to have something like Truecar.com where they have pre-set deals at invoice pricing. Or like my credit union, the have Autoland which is a auto buying service the makes the deal for you and they are so well hooked up with so many dealers they get extremely low pricing and you get to save your self a head ache. Plus you save time from driving to every dealer within 50 miles and shopping quotes......i think its a great tool. But some people like the old fashion way of "i start low, salesman goes high...and we meet in between somewhere". Im actually thinking of using Autoland this time around to see what they can do vs what kind of deal i can get on my own.....i mean who wouldnt like to save a few thousand if possible?

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
I'm a rookie and will need guidance but I thought you couldn't buy a brand new car under invoice price. Because if the dealer bought for invoice price and sold it to you for less than invoice price, then how will they make money? Or am I wrong? So far both of your posts are a good option for me so I'll keep them in mind when buying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its not really about being a rookie, but some people are just busy and its easier to have something like Truecar.com where they have pre-set deals at invoice pricing. Plus you save time from driving to every dealer within 50 miles and shopping quotes......i think its a great tool.
This is a really interesting post, Talon. I have not used Truecar but visited their site after reading what you wrote. If they can deliver the price they show from a "Certified Dealer", I don't think I'd need to look further. The question is whether or not one can print out a quote, go to the dealership, pay their money and drive out in under 30 minutes with the price quoted by Truecar . . . or would one be subjected to the typical mind games and upselling that occurs under the big tent. I hate spending 3 hours only to leave empty-handed or trying to justify why I just got totally ripped-off.

Since most of us only buy a car once every 5 years or so, I think it's very foolish to believe a consumer could beat a dealer at their game, a game that the dealer plays every day. I play basketball and golf each about once a year, its easy to visualize what a little one on one with a Chicago Bull or Tiger W would become. Buying a car from a pro is no different. Haggling with a dealer over price, options, financing, and trade-in is a losing proposition for 99% of the population. Part of the game is even letting the customer think they "really took it to them," as this creates watercooler chat bringing in more customers.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm a rookie and will need guidance but I thought you couldn't buy a brand new car under invoice price. Because if the dealer bought for invoice price and sold it to you for less than invoice price, then how will they make money? Or am I wrong? So far both of your posts are a good option for me so I'll keep them in mind when buying.
invoice is not actually the price that the dealer buys the car for, there's your MSRP, invoice pricing, and then you have what nobody knows about: the actual dealer cost. Check this out for more info.

new car prices, dealer scams, negotiating, dealer invoice price, Car buying tips

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is not true, Truecar.com actually will price it close to or match invoice and will ALSO included any current incentives that apply so you can technically end up well under invoice. Look at truecar when you get a chance, it shows you what others pay/invoice/dealer price/ etc

This is a really interesting post, Talon. I have not used Truecar but visited their site after reading what you wrote. If they can deliver the price they show from a "Certified Dealer", I don't think I'd need to look further. The question is whether or not one can print out a quote, go to the dealership, pay their money and drive out in under 30 minutes with the price quoted by Truecar . . . or would one be subjected to the typical mind games and upselling that occurs under the big tent. I hate spending 3 hours only to leave empty-handed or trying to justify why I just got totally ripped-off.
its almost one of those "too good to be true" deals right? i felt the same way when i bought my SVT Raptor through truecar. I was very sketchy going into the deal because its hard to believe they would sell it so low and not put up a fight. Well i can tell you only that each experience will vary......follow me for a second

I purchased my Raptor through the truecar process, which lead me to a local dealer, we ordered the truck (it was ordered because i wanted it built with only specific features and its very common on this truck), it came in, i signed the papers and was gone in less than 30. SO i had a amazing experience with this dealer and would absolutely buy one from them again!

On the other hand, i have heard one story about a guy going to the dealer with his truecar price and they did try to raise it on him (by approx $1000).....i told him to walk away and go the one of the other dealers Truecar gives you (when you submit your info, Trucar gives you the closest 3 dealers with the best price, yes i said 3), also told him to report that dealer and sales rep to Truecar as it is a violation of their agreement with Truecar to scam you on the price like that!

So im only saying that i myself had a awesome experience with this process but i cant speak for others. But really, your going to shop anyways so why not try it? If it works at the first dealer then great.....if not there are plenty of other options.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What you paid and what deals did you get (2012)?

Hello All,

I thought this would be a good thread to post the following:

2012 Honda Civic

Purchase Price OTD (Out The Door):

Incentives Given (Local and Manufacturer; If Any):

Financing Rate:

State/ Province Purchased:

Civic Model/ Extended Warranty, Additional Notes:

My Wife and I plan to buy one soon, so I'll practice what I'm preaching here and post the above info. I think it'd be a helpful for us to see what others are getting for deals and kind of fun. I've seen this on different forums for other car makes.

Mods, I'm not sure if this would be an appropriate thread to 'sticky' or not? Hopefully everyone else thinks this is kind of fun to do and resourceful. I've introduced myself in the Intro thread, as you can see I'm new 'round these parts.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Great idea man, sounds great. It would be awesome if you updated your first post with the new info as we get it, so it's easier to all see in one place. I guess with the 10 minutes edit time limit now that'll be hard, hopefully they change that here sometime..

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great idea man, sounds great. It would be awesome if you updated your first post with the new info as we get it, so it's easier to all see in one place. I guess with the 10 minutes edit time limit now that'll be hard, hopefully they change that here sometime..
this will be a helpful thread for many! good start ESAD....I can tell you from what i have seen at my local dealer they already have a $1000 dealer mark up and another charge for window tint of $795......not sure about financing options though. I think my credit union will be my best bet.....

Jason the edit feature has been extended from 10 minutes to 1 month :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
great thread and also great to know about the edit change thing. that 10 minute edit thing got really annoying. haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think im going to keep an eye on Truecar.com and see when they get their 2012 numbers up......they usually price at or just over invoice. And i can tell you right now im not paying sticker for any car!

Talon, I must admit, I've been a member of the nearly new club. How's Truecar work for a new car?

I just used it, that's pretty cool... Definitely a nice negotiating tool. Does Truecar factor in the tax or price such as destination charge and all that good stuff?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Talon, I must admit, I've been a member of the nearly new club. How's Truecar work for a new car?

I just used it, that's pretty cool... Definitely a nice negotiating tool. Does Truecar factor in the tax or price such as destination charge and all that good stuff?
Well i can say this.....i purchase 1 car through this website last year, it was my first time using it and it was amazing. i was in the market for a SVT Raptor, its a limited production truck and my local dealers had a $5k-$10k mark up over MSRP and would not budge. I came across Truecar.com and just playing. To my surprise, it gave me a list of local dealers that would honor a price which must be either invoice or close to it. Once i put in my info, it gave me the prices and which dealers had them. I started talking to one dealer and jsut like that i was leaving with a new truck for much less than everyone else and i didnt even have to talk about the price.

Overall, i have had a great experience with this site and would definitely use it again. I think my favorite part is that it gives you the lowest price and it will also include any dealer incentives at that time.....so you have to check back often as the prices are always adjusting.

Example....a couple weeks ago i priced out a new SI sedan....i saw it as low as $20200.00 and the dealers currently offer .9% financing. Pretty simple and i didnt even have to talk to anyone or give out my number.

hope this helps

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well i can say this.....i purchase 1 car through this website last year, it was my first time using it and it was amazing. i was in the market for a SVT Raptor, its a limited production truck and my local dealers had a $5k-$10k mark up over MSRP and would not budge. I came across Truecar.com and just playing. To my surprise, it gave me a list of local dealers that would honor a price which must be either invoice or close to it. Once i put in my info, it gave me the prices and which dealers had them. I started talking to one dealer and jsut like that i was leaving with a new truck for much less than everyone else and i didnt even have to talk about the price.

Overall, i have had a great experience with this site and would definitely use it again. I think my favorite part is that it gives you the lowest price and it will also include any dealer incentives at that time.....so you have to check back often as the prices are always adjusting.

Example....a couple weeks ago i priced out a new SI sedan....i saw it as low as $20200.00 and the dealers currently offer .9% financing. Pretty simple and i didnt even have to talk to anyone or give out my number.

hope this helps
Fantastic explanation! I think this is what I'll be doing too... I tried it and it pulled up several dealerships on 2011 models that are about 50 miles away, but well worth the drive. It didn't even pull up my local dealer of 4 miles away.

So, does it give a certificate or something for the new car 'True Price'? I'm confused on how they honor it... that's fantastic though. I guess what you're saying is it will show that dealerships deal that they'll offer by figuring all the incentives, etc.

That's great news, I plan to use it too.

Think you should 'sticky' this thread?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone ever do there negotiations over email/ by phone? If so, how do you word it to get the TOTAL price... Out the door or with tax, etc? Anyone know? Will dealers even tell these things over the phone?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fantastic explanation! I think this is what I'll be doing too... I tried it and it pulled up several dealerships on 2011 models that are about 50 miles away, but well worth the drive. It didn't even pull up my local dealer of 4 miles away.

So, does it give a certificate or something for the new car 'True Price'? I'm confused on how they honor it... that's fantastic though. I guess what you're saying is it will show that dealerships deal that they'll offer by figuring all the incentives, etc.

That's great news, I plan to use it too.

Think you should 'sticky' this thread?
well when i bought i drove about 36 miles as well.....its a service and truecar has agreements with certain dealers only. once you price everything and submit your info, it send notice to those dealers listed. It will then also email you a Truecar price certificate that you can take with you....although you shouldnt need to as the dealer has already agreed to the said price (but i would keep a copy to be safe). This is not a OTD price, should only be tax and license fee's over what you were quoted. I think the destination fee is included in the quote.

I actually priced a 2011 EX yesterday and truecar gave me a price of 18600.00 and one of the dealers they gave my info to sent me a new price of 18200.00! i was impressed!

1 - 20 of 950 Posts