9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you least like about buying a new or used car?

There's a lot of factors involved when buying a car, a survey done by consumer reports show what people least like about the whole process.

Here's what I least like about buying a car.

- Not knowing if you got a good price
- Researching
- Concern for Reliability

Consumers are clear on the two things they least like about buying a new car: the cost (30 percent) and the dealership experience (22 percent). In a recent survey by the Consumer Reports National Research Center, adult car owners said by a large margin that these are the two greatest turnoffs.

The survey is based on 1,764 random, nationwide telephone interviews of adult car owners, exploring attitudes and trends related to car buying.

What do you like least about buying a new car? (Percentage)

Cost of the car: 30
Dealership experience: 22
Financing: 6
Trading in or selling old car: 5
Not knowing if you got a good price: 5
Making the final choice: 4
Researching: 3
Time committment: 3
Browsing ads or classifieds: 2
Concern for reliability: 1

When it comes to used cars, consumers are most concerned about reliability (24 percent), with dealership experience (11 percent) ranked second, despite that many used cars are bought privately.

Used cars are attractive purchases since the original owner suffered the steep, initial depreciation hit. However, there is greater risk when buying used, and there are valid concerns about how a vehicle has been treated and how it will hold up. Buying a car with a track record for above-average reliability and having it inspected by an independent mechanic can go a long way toward ensuring a relatively trouble-free ownership experience.

What do you like least about buying a used car? (Percentage)

Concern for reliability: 24
Dealership experience: 11
Cost of the car: 8
Not knowing if you got a good price: 7
Researching: 4
Trading in or selling old car: 4
Time commitment: 2
Browsing ads or classifieds: 2
Financing: 1
Making the big decision: 1

Survey reveals what car buyers least like about buying a car, and it isn’t the dealership

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i hate dealers that offer you one thing and then put something different on the contract! they claim they can make it happen but when it comes down to it they jsut want to get you inside and figure you will settle with whatever they can get you.

I just bought another car, told them if they cant get my 2.99 APR on this used car then dont bother....the laughed at me and said no one offered that. i showed them that my credit union does and they claimed to be able to match it. went inside, bought the car with 2.99 apr, they called me the next day and said to go finance the car with my credit union and bring them a check. Even with my excellant credit no one would approve such a low rate on a used car. went to my credit union, applied for a loan, approved 15 minutes later, funded the next day. I wasnt happy with the dealer because not only could they not deliver on their word, i had to cancel appointments with clients to run around and get the loan closed and the check to the dealer. I wont be shopping with them again .

·
Registered
794 Posts
On used cars: mokes (wikipedia that sh!t, if you don't know it, haw'n si knows what I mean)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll just copy and paste what I posted in another thread.
Our initial experience with Space Coast Honda in Cocoa, FL was horrible. We left the dealership angry as s h i t and decided to buy locally in Titusville, FL but inadvertently left the registration at the Space Coast Honda. After arriving to get the registration the floor manager offered $500 off the price and 1.99% financing to make it right. Taking both into consideration there was a savings of $660 between the two stealerships. No one we dealt with the night before was there the next day and the day staff was defiantly a lot better to deal with. If it was only $100-200 difference I would have gone to the other dealership but $660 is a nice chunk of dough.
Previous sales man said he could beat the 2.49% I could get from PenFed, which was a lie. Tried having my fiancee sign paperwork to purchase the vehicle after explaining we were not buying the car that night. I had to stop her and explain that she was signing paper work to purchase the vehicle. Told them I wanted a OTD price and came back with a payment written on sheet that was probably equal to 8-10%. Wanted her to just sign all the paperwork and figure out financing with the finance guy.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'll just copy and paste what I posted in another thread.

Previous sales man said he could beat the 2.49% I could get from PenFed, which was a lie. Tried having my fiancee sign paperwork to purchase the vehicle after explaining we were not buying the car that night. I had to stop her and explain that she was signing paper work to purchase the vehicle. Told them I wanted a OTD price and came back with a payment written on sheet that was probably equal to 8-10%. Wanted her to just sign all the paperwork and figure out financing with the finance guy.

yeah these snake moves is what upsets me most......i dont mind paying for things, i much rather pay more for a great purchase experience than paying less only to find out later how screwed i got. It seems to me the rate is where they really get people.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
yeah these snake moves is what upsets me most......i dont mind paying for things, i much rather pay more for a great purchase experience than paying less only to find out later how screwed i got. It seems to me the rate is where they really get people.....
Because there are some many people with their hands in the cookie jar.

The trade in guy is trying to make the highest commission, so is the salesman and so is the finance guy. So you have three people trying to screw you. I have only meet a hand full off honest salesmen. They are looking out for their own best interest not yours. If you educate yourself you can see past all the BS and act in your best interests.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
i hate dealers that offer you one thing and then put something different on the contract! they claim they can make it happen but when it comes down to it they jsut want to get you inside and figure you will settle with whatever they can get you.

I just bought another car, told them if they cant get my 2.99 APR on this used car then dont bother....the laughed at me and said no one offered that. i showed them that my credit union does and they claimed to be able to match it. went inside, bought the car with 2.99 apr, they called me the next day and said to go finance the car with my credit union and bring them a check. Even with my excellant credit no one would approve such a low rate on a used car. went to my credit union, applied for a loan, approved 15 minutes later, funded the next day. I wasnt happy with the dealer because not only could they not deliver on their word, i had to cancel appointments with clients to run around and get the loan closed and the check to the dealer. I wont be shopping with them again .
I would of given them back the car, and went to another dealer with my credit union check. this way, they would be eating a new car now used car with miles. lol...

or did they not give you the car same day? A rule of mine when I'm buying a car is u must drive home same day. if it's not drivable that same day home, then it stays.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yup, I hate car salespeople! Lol, I'm one! Naw, there are a few good people in there, just like cops, ...there are a few that actually care about their client/public and work for their respect in a field already known for otherwise.

Actually, for the most part, blame the sales managers. I left my previous dealership because a manager told me to tell a customer that we could get him the price he wants. Now this was at a Nissan dealership here in Sacramento. Prior to that I sold Nissan's in Hawaii since 2004. So I knew how much room we had in this vehicle and the customer was asking a good $3k below invoice. So I told the manager, "so you want me to lie to the customer? I have worked too many years and not once lied to make a deal. I'm not starting now!" He told me that I wasn't gonna be lying to the customer. So I told him that then you're lying to me?! Anyway, that's a fine example of how the lies trickle down the chain of commands in many dealerships. It sucks though, ...and since I know so much about different cars (and other vehicles), this really is a good job for me, ...when I'm at the right dealership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
.........so many people with their hands in the cookie jar...............

The trade in guy is trying to make the highest commission, so is the salesman and so is the finance guy. So you have three people trying to screw you.

True. True. True.

Using CarsDirect.com, my 6M was an unbelievably good deal. Picking up the car from a cooperating Honda dealership in the SF bay area was somewhat less fun.

The push to sell the Honda Care warranty was hard to believe. They held up the paperwork ("There's one customer ahead of you - a CPA. He's going over the contracts and forms line by line")

Unbelievable. I had to stay as my bud had split for the state capital following lunch.

"The Honda Care Warranty - special today only - is $1800. Normally $2500".

Lies. Lies. More Lies.

Added an extra three hours to my experience. Only the low price kept me sane.

Later, I went online and $584 got me the Honda Care Extended Warranty.

Never had to use it. Great car. The dealership? (you figure it out).

Apologize for the rant. Awaiting the Si coupe test drive later this year.

ez....

·
Banned
8,333 Posts

Donno how i stumbled upon such an old thread... but i gotta say it pissed me off too! They will always do things like this just to get a sale. Once they have a sale they can do whatever they like whether you are pleased or not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the positive side, it's better than it used to be because you're more informed if you take advantage of all the information available online. One thing I don't like is being assessed extra charges, like so-called "dealer fees", or mandatory add-ons like charges for "paint sealant", which I discount completely as pure profit for the dealer.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
On the positive side, it's better than it used to be because you're more informed if you take advantage of all the information available online. One thing I don't like is being assessed extra charges, like so-called "dealer fees", or mandatory add-ons like charges for "paint sealant", which I discount completely as pure profit for the dealer.
yes you certainly bring up a good point there!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I won't buy a used car anymore, to many people screw around with them. Why would i want a car that someone changed the headliner,or cut up a wiring harness to plug in some pretty lights, etc.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have only bought one brand new car (my Si), and I love that EVERYTHING is new - nothing but regular maintenance needed.

Used cars are cheaper, but you never truly know 100% what has occurred throughout the life of the car - and replacing worn out parts can get expensive quickly.

I will most likely never buy used again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This has happened to me at three dealers. Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda. The sales department acts like they are your best friend but after you buy your car the service department is the total opposite. When your bring it in they act like you are a hassle. They forget that we are the ones writting their checks.

K24Z7 Crew Member #45

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
On the positive side, it's better than it used to be because you're more informed if you take advantage of all the information available online.
This has forced the dealers to make the buying experience better since people walk in knowing what the car they want is selling for on average in that area. I had a great experience buying my Si and didn't have to haggle at all. The sales and finance guy both said with the internet people are so educated now it forces them to make a fair deal from the get go.

They still tried to sell me all the add ons, clear bra, protection package, etc etc. I declined them all at they never tried to pressure me into it. I'm sure there are dealers that try the hard sell on the add ons since their mark up is huge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts