9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a new car owner! I recently purchased a EX sedan and my first tank of gas (dealership provided) is coming to an end. I was wondering which gas station would you recommend to pump? And also if I should pump regular like the manual says or go higher? And when is it a good time to get more gas, around 1/4 of the tank? THANK YOU!

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Regular and any top tier brand.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lowest grade is fine, but I would stick with top well known brands. My wife was using Shell ever since we got the car, but last week filled up at 7-11 with a no name brand. She gets some engine pinging from time to time now....ever since she filled up there which obviously is from the crappy gas so only good gas from now on for us.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I used to use Ultra 94 in my *th gen but in the last 6 months I switched to Shell V Power 91 for my Si. It seemed to run a lot better on the Shell gas despite the 3 less octane

·
Registered
162 Posts
no dont use Ultra 94

Any gas with Ethanol added to it is harmful to your engine. The gas companies only add it because its better for the emmissions for the environment. Unless you are really for saving the planet more than your nice car dont use that stuff.

·
Registered
896 Posts
In most states you can get ethanol free, but its very rare. Technically it is illegal though. Here in the Tampa area of FL theres only about 3 stations that have it. None near where I live though. Most are found around boat docks and marinas because people with boats want it. If you can find it you'll pay more, but worth it. There are websites that let you know by state where the stations are. This is a good one. http://pure-gas.org/

As far as higher octane theres no point in getting it unless the car calls for it like the Si's. I tried higher octane in my last car and it made 0 difference. Actually burned off a little faster. Its not even the octane that may make your car run bad. Its the fact that its cheap watered down gas with 0 detergents.
I know some car manufactures even say dont put high octane gas in certain models.
IMO on an LX or EX higher octane fuel is just a waste of more money.

Ethanol is awful. Its not as bad when you use the car, lawn mower, etc. often, but if it sits around for some time thats when it becomes a big problem. I know in the old cars its a major issue because old cars werent built to even use any amount of it period.

·
Banned
251 Posts
Last time I checked Premium at many gas stations here in Canada is ethanol free... The law mandates 5% overall, but companies arrive at that figure usually with the following mixes 10% in 87, 5% in 89, and 0% in 91+.. But I haven't looked to closely in a while...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes, non-ethanol is the way, they are around, and you pay like a 30 cents premium. But, I have only seen non-eth. gas with 89 octane. Also, you do notice and feel the difference.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Last time I checked Premium at many gas stations here in Canada is ethanol free... The law mandates 5% overal, but companies arrive at that figure usually with the following mixes 10% in 87, 5% in 89, and 0% in 91+.. But I haven't looked to closely in a while...
You guys are lucky. We have to have 15% and some stations have 10% in ours and in all grades.

The ones that have ethanol free are usually 91 at least around here, but the local news had a story the other day saying it can only be 85. Some guys station was shut down for a day because of it. He re-opened and is selling it again though. There was some other information I didnt catch.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Fill it up regular, I say, to the person filling my gas at any gas station.

Yea, I use regular, and usually at this local gas station a minute from my house. I've used gas from many stations, every type is by my house, from regular to premium even, all feel the same in my 8th gen LX Coupe.

I won't be using premium at all again till I have my Si. Maybe then I'll be a bit more particular of the station. As of now, no need to be so picky, everything is working A+ at A+ level.

I however, do prefer, buying gas at WaWa. Maybe most of you don't know of it. WaWa is a chain in the tri-state area. Really great place, they charge the same regardless of your payment type. Most places (around here at least) make you pay more if you aren't using cash (and try to mask that by saying they have a "cash discount").

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use Shell all the time but every once in a while Petro Canada haven't tried Esso yet now that I know premium gas makes no difference won't bother trying it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
you do not need 91 in a EX, run 87 or 89 (whatever is the low where you live) and you will be fine. SI's run 91 because of compression for performance.....but still use a good brand fuel. I run chevron, stay away from no name station, grocery store gas stations and Acro/BP

·
Registered
794 Posts
Aloha Gas a top tier gas co.? Hahahaha yeah right!

1 - 20 of 638 Posts