9th Gen Civic Forum banner
16521 - 16540 of 16551 Posts

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
New ac compressor in and I recharged it at work. Ice cold now. Then I come to find out I need a new tensioner. Ordered via amazon.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.
Did your system depressurize on it's own, or do you/work have the stuffs to depressurize an A/C system?
I've been sitting on a new condenser not putting it in because I'm not sure how to depressurize the system...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Did your system depressurize on it's own, or do you/work have the stuffs to depressurize an A/C system?
I've been sitting on a new condenser not putting it in because I'm not sure how to depressurize the system...
When we first diagnosed it at work, I had plenty of freon. We recovered all of it. I replaced the ac compressor myself. Then my coworker used the machine to evac and recharged. It is so much quicker to use the shop's AC machine than doing the Chrisfix method.

Most shops that have an AC machine can recover for you. Usually they probably won't charge if you just recover. They might charge to do the evac and recharge however.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
When we first diagnosed it at work, I had plenty of freon. We recovered all of it. I replaced the ac compressor myself. Then my coworker used the machine to evac and recharged. It is so much quicker to use the shop's AC machine than doing the Chrisfix method.

Most shops that have an AC machine can recover for you. Usually they probably won't charge if you just recover. They might charge to do the evac and recharge however.
The earth, and myself, thank you for recovering, lol.
Yeah I'll probably hold off until it completely stops blowing cold (or at least enough to bother me in August) and go the shop route for recovery and recharge. I'm not trying to buy all of those tools from chrisfix video.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Great, LF low beam is out. I bought the car with LEDs already. They look like auxbeam. Just ordered some 120w fahrens

·
Registered
33 Posts
Trio of 9th Gen Civics (2012LX, 2013EX, 2014LX), son-and-daughters' transpo.

Just did an ATF drain / refill on the 2012 with Idemitsu Type H+ ATF.

When I did the same on other daughter's 2011 LX Accord, the ATF smelled just a little "sort of burnt" ... but not dark at all. :unsure::unsure::unsure: Did not make sense.

Opened up a fresh quart bottle of H+ yesterday, took a sniff. Yeah, that's it! It comes out of the bottle with that weird "off odor." Phew

OF

·
Registered
308 Posts
Replaced my front lower control arms and tensioner. I broke my ball joint separator and resulted to just using the bfh. Fyi, ball joints are on back order from hondapartsnow. I had to order the Acura version which are the same

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Honda OEM ball joint separator (p/n 07MAC-SL00200) is really pricey, but man, after using it to replace lower control arms a few times, and remove steering knuckles so I could press out the bearings, I'm very much a big fan. You'd swear this was made by Hazet, it's so durable and well-made.
Bicycle part Engineering Nickel Auto part Fashion accessory

If you're only planning on using it once, it's not a bargain. I had two Hondas with front LCA's showing deteriorating compliance bushings. Both needed wheel bearings replaced now.

I decided, with multiple projects on the horizon, it might be time to get this tool. Was able to do the bearing work, then just drive until I got the new LCA's and could now do the replacement work at my own leisure. This tool takes these jobs from being cumbersome to just plain do-able.

On the "Civic side" of our vehicle fleet, it looks like I'm going to have to replace the serpentine belt tensioner on my daughter's 2014 LX. Other daughter's 2011 LX Accord will need the same. :confused::cautious:

OF

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Honda OEM ball joint separator (p/n 07MAC-SL00200) is really pricey, but man, after using it to replace lower control arms a few times, and remove steering knuckles so I could press out the bearings, I'm very much a big fan. You'd swear this was made by Hazet, it's so durable and well-made.
View attachment 495636
If you're only planning on using it once, it's not a bargain. I had two Hondas with front LCA's showing deteriorating compliance bushings. Both needed wheel bearings replaced now.

I decided, with multiple projects on the horizon, it might be time to get this tool. Was able to do the bearing work, then just drive until I got the new LCA's and could now do the replacement work at my own leisure. This tool takes these jobs from being cumbersome to just plain do-able.

On the "Civic side" of our vehicle fleet, it looks like I'm going to have to replace the serpentine belt tensioner on my daughter's 2014 LX. Other daughter's 2011 LX Accord will need the same. :confused::cautious:

OF
I used the cheap one from harbor freight. It worked well until it didn’t.

Honestly you don’t really need it unless you’re going to replace the ball joint. The joint has 3 bolts you can disconnect and just rnr the arms. I only did mine since my Si sees autox and track use and has 172k miles

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have a half dozen Hondas. While this Honda tool hasn't seen duty on our trio of Gen 9 Civics yet, I've had to use it on a pair of Odysseys for a "200,000 mile front suspension & driveshaft overhaul," our Gen 6 Accord (tie rod ends), and even a Nissan Altima 3.5 (knucle.removal).

It is hands down better than any rental tool I've used. I borrowed a neighbor's HF version of this, and thought I was going to break it ... so I quit while I was ahead and got this.

I agree, unless you're accomplishing knuckle removal for any reason (ball joint removal, bearings, etc.) on these Civics, other less robust versions or copies of this tool will suffice. However, now that this is in one of my rollaways, it's my "go to" tool for anything with a taper spindle ball joint fitting on anything Honda-Acura.

If you have multiple projects ahead of you requiring this type of tool, the cost is justifiable. Just one task? Rent or go HF.

OF

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
1,008 Posts
Installed this bad boy

Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ever since those were released I've wanted one.. Looks great!
Same, I should have got it before BC raised their prices, but Saikospeed was (still might be) having a sale or some coupon code to knock the price down.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Looks good how difficult to take apart and install?
Really easy, if you don't worry about the airbag blowing up while handling it, lol. I had it done in about an hour and some minutes.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
Really easy, if you don't worry about the airbag blowing up while handling it, lol. I had it done in about an hour and some minutes.
How does it feel with the flattened bottom through a tight turn (spirited and responsible if you'd please :p )

i've been eyeballing this as my possible next buy.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
How does it feel with the flattened bottom through a tight turn (spirited and responsible if you'd please :p )

I'll let you know later. Just turning the wheel felt lighter than stock.

Reactions: Marktastrophe

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

I f'ing love this steering wheel! It felt weird at first, as driving a round wheel versus a flat bottom and thicker wheel. I knew my steering was off a bit, probably time for another alignment, but now the red stripe really shows it, it's rather annoying lol. I'll deal with it for now, since in early July it'll be going to a shop to have Full Race traction balls and an alignment done. Steering feels quicker, but I'm probably holding back with the alignment being off to truly do some spirited driving to actually see. It feels weird going from leather to no leather on the wheel, so if you're used to turning the wheel and letting it rotate its self around, it'll catch your hand and not move. Again, could just be me and just need time to get used to it. I highly recommend getting this wheel, even better if you catch it on sale somewhere, or settle and get the one on eBay, they look exactly the same, minus the Buddy Club lettering on the bottom and maybe quality, but who knows.

Reactions: Marktastrophe

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
I f'ing love this steering wheel! It felt weird at first, as driving a round wheel versus a flat bottom and thicker wheel. I knew my steering was off a bit, probably time for another alignment, but now the red stripe really shows it, it's rather annoying lol. I'll deal with it for now, since in early July it'll be going to a shop to have Full Race traction balls and an alignment done. Steering feels quicker, but I'm probably holding back with the alignment being off to truly do some spirited driving to actually see. It feels weird going from leather to no leather on the wheel, so if you're used to turning the wheel and letting it rotate its self around, it'll catch your hand and not move. Again, could just be me and just need time to get used to it. I highly recommend getting this wheel, even better if you catch it on sale somewhere, or settle and get the one on eBay, they look exactly the same, minus the Buddy Club lettering on the bottom and maybe quality, but who knows.
I would be lying if I said I didn't consider saving $200 by ordering a knock off, lol. Is the BC one actual carbon, or is it just dipped?

16521 - 16540 of 16551 Posts