9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a thread for members to post up what products they use for car washing and detailing from different soaps, shines, sprays, sealants, waxes and anything else in between. Doesn't matter if your a full on pro a weekend warrior or an absolute noob everything is interesting so share what you've got. Go.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'll start it off. I've recently been updating and upgrading my car wash and car detailing arsenal. In the past I was one of those guys into higher end boutique brand products but recently especially in the last year or so OTC products have come à long way and some have been proven to perform as well if not better than some of the so called boutique products. Nowadays I always do my research because more expensive doesn't mean better.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I have a hodgepodge of stuff. But I've gotten into VVashautocare since they offered a sponership/ "marketing gimmick" on instagram. Modrid recommends Zainobros and after seeing his car numerous times, and the fact that its always way shinier than mine, I think i'm gonna go with their product next.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm no pro at this at all. I am embarrassed to say, I used to not rinse off my car before I went to town scrubbing it.
Whatever the heck is in that turtle wax ceramic stuff, it at least is miles above the McGuire's stuff I used. Started raining, so I thought I would check, can't see any swirl marks from my crappy washing habits. I still see rock chips and a couple deep scratches. If it does this for close to a year (I washed, polished, clayed, and 2 coats 24 hours apart), I'll be sold. The bottle is still full, and was around $15.00. After this much work, if it doesn't last 10 months I'll probably try a full ceramic product if I can find one that cures in sunlight.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
689 Posts
I have a lot of car wash crap I got from when I worked at Advacned Auto for awhile. Snagged a bunch of Griot's stuff when it got marked down, so currently using their products. For washing, for now it's Griot's Brillant Finish soap. I got some Chemical Guys Snowfall soap, but want to use up BF before I try it. Quick detailing use either Zymol or Griot's but using Zymol till I run out. Quick spray wax is Meguiar's ultimate and same for their paste wax. Now that I got a Griot's G9 DA, gonna be using some of their BOSS stuff. Think that's about it.

Don't think I'll be a pro at it. Just something I like to do from time to time.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have a hodgepodge of stuff. But I've gotten into VVashautocare since they offered a sponership/ "marketing gimmick" on instagram. Modrid recommends Zainobros and after seeing his car numerous times, and the fact that its always way shinier than mine, I think i'm gonna go with their product next.
Haven't tried any of those products but I've heard of the Zaino brand before.
I'm no pro at this at all. I am embarrassed to say, I used to not rinse off my car before I went to town scrubbing it.
Whatever the heck is in that turtle wax ceramic stuff, it at least is miles above the McGuire's stuff I used. Started raining, so I thought I would check, can't see any swirl marks from my crappy washing habits. I still see rock chips and a couple deep scratches. If it does this for close to a year (I washed, polished, clayed, and 2 coats 24 hours apart), I'll be sold. The bottle is still full, and was around $15.00. After this much work, if it doesn't last 10 months I'll probably try a full ceramic product if I can find one that cures in sunlight.
If you have alot of swirls and deeper scratches use a heavier polish like Meguiars Ultimate Compound it's cheap, readily available and easy to use I've used it before and it does a good job at filling in imperfections. I doubt you'll get 10 months out of the ceramic coating it's good but not that good I'd say apply again in 5 months no need to clay or polish just reapply the coating. To extend the life of the coating apply a topper regularly like a spray wax for added protection.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Spray on products are an important part of any weekend warriors collection both for ease of use and time saving. I don't use spray detailers anymore as I find they have little to no durability, basically after a hard rainfall it's gone. I prefer to use spray wax as it atleast gives some protection and some durability. Usually I apply a spray wax after every wash as a topper so it is important to me to have a good spray wax.

My go to spray wax right now is the Turtle Wax Ice spray wax. It has good gloss and shine but the reason I'm using this product is durability which is top notch compared to other spray on products and that includes boutique brands. Application is just like any other spray on product I didn't have any issues with streaking usually streaking happens when you overspray a panel. Another feature of this product is that it sheets water really well. Water beading looks good on the car problem is it allows the water to sit and possibly dry leaving water spots. Sheeting keeps the water off the car so this is something to keep in mind. BTW Turtle Wax has stepped up their game recently they've got some really good OTC products in the market.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Run it through the automatic car wash with what ever special they have on offer.
And what ever Turtle Wax spray & shine product that is on sale at Pepboys.

Remember it's a Civic with a factory paint job.
If the car is never garaged, and paint lasts 10 years consider it good.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Run it through the automatic car wash with what ever special they have on offer.
Depends on what your tolerance is for me I just can't do that I just can't watch my car going through a car wash but of course everybody is different so to each there own.

And what ever Turtle Wax spray & shine product that is on sale at Pepboys.
That’s kind of what I'm getting at that there are some really good OTC products out there that will give you similar and in some cases better results than expensive products. Actually Turtle Wax has come out with some really good products recently don't believe me search it up.

Remember it's a Civic with a factory paint job.
If the car is never garaged, and paint lasts 10 years consider it good.
My Civic is going on 7 years strong and I get commended all the time on how new it looks I dare say it looks better than most 1-2 year old Civics I know this is an exception and not the norm I do take care of it meticulously and other than being parked outside at work the rest of the time it is mostly parked underground also I never park under trees and lamp posts lol.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick spray wax is Meguiar's ultimate and same for their paste wax.
I've been using Meguiars Ultimate spray wax as a topper for the longest time and have nothing but good things to say about it as far as gloss, price, ease of application and a bottle lasts pretty long tine too. Than switched to Chemical Guys V07 optical sealant spray because more hardcore detailing guys swore by it and honestly I didn't notice much of a difference between Meguiars and V07 also V07 is more prone to streaking. Recently switched to Turtle Wax spray wax because it is more durable than other products I've used without any compromise in gloss.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've been using Meguiars Ultimate spray wax as a topper for the longest time and have nothing but good things to say about it as far as gloss, price, ease of application and a bottle lasts pretty long tine too. Than switched to Chemical Guys V07 optical sealant spray because more hardcore detailing guys swore by it and honestly I didn't notice much of a difference between Meguiars and V07 also V07 is more prone to streaking. Recently switched to Turtle Wax spray wax because it is more durable than other products I've used without any compromise in gloss.
From reading around the web, CG is good or it's overpirced crap. Personally haven't used any of their liquid products before but have one or two of their MF drying towels. I've used it once and right out of the bag is was full of lint. Think there's still another one in the bag I haven't brothered to open. I've bought MF towels from Griot's, Advanced Auto and O'reilly and used them right out of the bag with no lint on them, besides a few long random strands I can see and easily pull off. Really like the O'reilly MF towels.

I may have to try Turtle Wax. I got a bottle of their ICE sealent but never got around to using it since I didn't know how to use many years ago. Probably won't now since I got a bottle of Griot's BOSS Finishing sealant.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From reading around the web, CG is good or it's overpirced crap. Personally haven't used any of their liquid products before but have one or two of their MF drying towels. I've used it once and right out of the bag is was full of lint. Think there's still another one in the bag I haven't brothered to open. I've bought MF towels from Griot's, Advanced Auto and O'reilly and used them right out of the bag with no lint on them, besides a few long random strands I can see and easily pull off. Really like the O'reilly MF towels.

I may have to try Turtle Wax. I got a bottle of their ICE sealent but never got around to using it since I didn't know how to use many years ago. Probably won't now since I got a bottle of Griot's BOSS Finishing sealant.
Yeah guys either swear by CG or hate it for me I'm not really brand loyal I go with what works best. I buy my MF towels from Costco they use to have really plush and soft MF towels but recently their quality has gone down and their MF towels aren't as plush and thick as they use to be.

The Turtle Wax Ice line of products are probably the best bang for the buck products in the market right now. The brand has really stepped up its game in the last year I use to compare them to Armor All.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah guys either swear by CG or hate it for me I'm not really brand loyal I go with what works best. I buy my MF towels from Costco they use to have really plush and soft MF towels but recently their quality has gone down and their MF towels aren't as plush and thick as they use to be.

The Turtle Wax Ice line of products are probably the best bang for the buck products in the market right now. The brand has really stepped up its game in the last year I use to compare them to Armor All.
If I can get rid of some of the old products I have, I'll give them a shot. I just way too much other products to justify buying more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My buddy got me started on Zaino Bros stuff. It is legit. You gotta be willing to put some time into it, but the finished product is stunning. I do it once a year, and my car consistently outshines @bfaided1984

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My buddy got me started on Zaino Bros stuff. It is legit. You gotta be willing to put some time into it, but the finished product is stunning. I do it once a year, and my car consistently outshines @bfaided1984

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Only cuz it's red and garage kept you ass.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My favorite resources for detailing:
-Obsessed Garage (where income busts dreams)
-The Rag Company (best towels for anything)
-Adam's Polish's (Great easy to use products that smell amazing)

I have a cheapo electric pressure washer and foam cannot from MTM
I have been trying to finish a Chemical Guy's gallon of Soap, but will move over to Adam's as I have some ready to go from buying Mystery Boxes

The Rag Company is where I get Micro Fiber and Drying cloths.

There are many drying aids (Detail Spray or the like) that can be sprayed when drying the car which help leave an amazing feeling on the paint.

I try to hand polish the car every 6 months to remove any Environmental to keep the paint looking fresh.

I use a dedicated bucket for washing the wheels and tires first.
Then I rinse the car w/ water
Foam the car w/soap
Wash with soft mit
Then rinse
Dry with Detail Spray/Guard and Gloss/something with more lubrication
Go back and dress the black plastics and wheels
Clean the door jams
Clean the windows inside and out

Interior I am lazy and can be.
Might vacuum 3 times a year
If I have anything on the seats clean with brush/water and maybe some light soap
wipe down dash w/ interior detail spray

Would love to invest in a Deionized rinse solution, but still researching what I can afford/willing to spend money on. Probably hold out for a used CRspotless system

·
Registered
17 Posts
For years I always used and tried different carnubba waxes.
I really like Turtle Wax, ICE products. Spray Wax & Spray Detailer.
I don't like their Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line.

For black plastic trim, that is going graying or white, "Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer "

·
I Need A Vacation
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My favorite resources for detailing:
-Obsessed Garage (where income busts dreams)
-The Rag Company (best towels for anything)
-Adam's Polish's (Great easy to use products that smell amazing)

I have a cheapo electric pressure washer and foam cannot from MTM
I have been trying to finish a Chemical Guy's gallon of Soap, but will move over to Adam's as I have some ready to go from buying Mystery Boxes

The Rag Company is where I get Micro Fiber and Drying cloths.

There are many drying aids (Detail Spray or the like) that can be sprayed when drying the car which help leave an amazing feeling on the paint.

I try to hand polish the car every 6 months to remove any Environmental to keep the paint looking fresh.

I use a dedicated bucket for washing the wheels and tires first.
Then I rinse the car w/ water
Foam the car w/soap
Wash with soft mit
Then rinse
Dry with Detail Spray/Guard and Gloss/something with more lubrication
Go back and dress the black plastics and wheels
Clean the door jams
Clean the windows inside and out

Interior I am lazy and can be.
Might vacuum 3 times a year
If I have anything on the seats clean with brush/water and maybe some light soap
wipe down dash w/ interior detail spray

Would love to invest in a Deionized rinse solution, but still researching what I can afford/willing to spend money on. Probably hold out for a used CRspotless system View attachment 491927
I try to wash every two weeks. I use a Chemical Guys foam gun and two bucket system. I wash a couple panels at a time not the whole car and have a separate mitt for the car for the wheels and for underbody. I dry the car using a leafblower than towel dry door jams and hinges. Than polish exhaust and dress tires and add a topper like a spray wax. I usually clay and polish every 6 months. I like watching Jimbos detailing and Apex detailing on Youtube both very thorough and easy to understand.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts