9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Perhaps the worst handling car I drove was a 2001 Civic LX 4-door. With OEM tires it didn't take curves well when diving on rural roads; I had to drive slowly around certain curves and the steering was sometimes causing the car to drift to one side. The car was never modded at that time. An 87 Accord 2-door hatchback prior to this was only slightly better and a 2005 Acura RSX (not type S) was better. I had never driven any RWD car in my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The worst I've owned was my 97 volvo 850. That thing was a TANK. And handled like one too! Cornering in that thing had me fear for my life haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The worst I've owned was my 97 volvo 850. That thing was a TANK. And handled like one too! Cornering in that thing had me fear for my life haha

Yes! I had a '97 850 as well. Truthfully the only word to describe it is as you're saying...a TANK. I actually miss it sometimes. The seats were easily the most comfortable I've ever been in and the ride was so comfortable...just that it didn't like to go around corners very well.

The only reason I ditched it was because the AC and the heat both didn't work and there was something weird going on where in the winters the INSIDE of my windshield would frost over and freeze....then the defroster wouldn't work and I would almost die.

My first ride, a 2001 Chevy s10 extended cab was probably the worst handling I've been in. Rear wheel drive was fun, though scary in the winter even with weight and sand bags. I vividly remember how much that thing would sway on the highway if there was any wind whatsoever. Scary.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes! I had a '97 850 as well. Truthfully the only word to describe it is as you're saying...a TANK. I actually miss it sometimes. The seats were easily the most comfortable I've ever been in and the ride was so comfortable...just that it didn't like to go around corners very well.

The only reason I ditched it was because the AC and the heat both didn't work and there was something weird going on where in the winters the INSIDE of my windshield would frost over and freeze....then the defroster wouldn't work and I would almost die.

My first ride, a 2001 Chevy s10 extended cab was probably the worst handling I've been in. Rear wheel drive was fun, though scary in the winter even with weight and sand bags. I vividly remember how much that thing would sway on the highway if there was any wind whatsoever. Scary.
I've learned the HARD way that you just cant kill an 850! Ive hit a tree once, still ran like a champ, ac broke, front shocks blew, abs went on me, exhaust leaks, odo was stuck at around 180k miles... And to top that off, the radio antenna was a coat hanger LOL. The mechanic I go to told me that it would last me longer than I want it to hahaah.
I do miss my volvo tho, it was a groovy little ride

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,336 Posts
Do you all remember the DODGE RAIDER? My sister had one back in 87, WOW, that thing was a nightmare to drive! Every time I would turn a corner I thought I was gonna flip:)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Do you all remember the DODGE RAIDER? My sister had one back in 87, WOW, that thing was a nightmare to drive! Every time I would turn a corner I thought I was gonna flip:)
Oh lord, the dodge raider lol. Dodge was just a giant dud back in the 80s :p

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
my old hand-me-down 1996 cavalier by parents bought for my sister back in highschool. it fell into my hands when she went off to college. that was was POOP. the suspension was so soft. i used to put the parking brake up at stop lights and tap the gas to the floor for a second again and again and again, the car straight up looked like it was humping asphault haha. that car was scary around corners. tall squishy sidewalls and soft suspension, grey bumpers, cracked fire engine red paint. o yea. dont forget that you had to practically pull the whole dash apart to change out the radio for one of those walmart special head units lol. i used to make my fiances little brother laugh whenever he rode with us by turning hard from side to side quickly to amek the car roll from side to side. suspansion made all sorts of creaky noises... got an 03 civic ex sedan and the honda addiction just grew from there. no intentions of ever buying an american car.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,199 Posts
I can add my '77 Jeep CJ7 to the list. That thing was all over the road unless it was kept under the 55 mph limit.

The CJs were different animals than the Wrangler replacement which were much more streetworthy vehicles.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts