9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what this black piece is called? For a little context, I had a valve cover gasket leak a while ago that I had replaced. There was oil all over this area including the front of the engine. Even after the gasket was replaced it looked as though there was fresh oil still covering this area (second picture.) I cleaned the area off a bit and drove it to and from work and it looks like there might be some seepage coming from it? I guess I just want to mentally prepare myself to fix another leak lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
that's the access cover to the flywheel.

I see a lot of oil up above it as well.

take the cover off and see if its full of oil behind it, if yes its your transmission or engine rear main seal leaking.

if its either I would try some ATP AT-205 in the oil a week before your next oil change, before spending 1500 bux to fix it.

That stuff works like magic for seals that have hardened, but wont repair seals that are damaged.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's the access cover to the flywheel.

I see a lot of oil up above it as well.

take the cover off and see if its full of oil behind it, if yes its your transmission or engine rear main seal leaking.

if its either I would try some ATP AT-205 in the oil a week before your next oil change, before spending 1500 bux to fix it.

That stuff works like magic for seals that have hardened, but wont repair seals that are damaged.
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to pick some of that up.

I'm in a tough position because I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep the car and I've already spent around $3500 on it this year alone. I feel like if I would need to replace the rear main seal I may as well replace the clutch just to avoid having to pay to drop the transmission a second time if it does start to go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to pick some of that up.

I'm in a tough position because I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep the car and I've already spent around $3500 on it this year alone. I feel like if I would need to replace the rear main seal I may as well replace the clutch just to avoid having to pay to drop the transmission a second time if it does start to go.
Yes. If you've got to pull the trans or engine for any work, it's time to replace the clutch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts