9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read ppl saying honda is quiet while driving. but i find it as noisy as my mazda3 was. my stock tire brand is continental. are they any good? are tires the reason the ride is not quiet?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Tires can have a major impact on road noise. My car is quiet and we have Firestone Affinity Touring that came on it. It could be even more quiet with different tires, but still very quiet to me and defiantly a lot more quiet then my 08 Mazda 3 was with Goodyear Eagle's or the stock Toyo's that came on it originally.

·
Registered
896 Posts
So according to tirerack.com the tires that are standard for the models are as follows.

DX/LX - Firestone Affinity Touring
EX - Continental ContiPro
Si - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
Hybrid/HF - Bridgestone Ecopia EP20

The Firestones get crap reviews. Although I find it a quiet ride you can still tell they are a cheaper tire and I'll defiently be changing mine to something else once they are no longer good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OEM Tires

I have the Continental's and I do find them noisy, however, they are rated AA traction and A temperature (I might have that reversed). The mileage life is also very good, 60k I believe. I guess that is why they are noisy because they are harder rubber, hense they last longer.

I have never owned a tire with AA and A ratings. I feel that is impressive for OEM tires which have a reputation for wearing out quickly. I'll stick.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I got extra tires to put on the day I get my si. Ill put them on right when I get my car since I put tires on myself lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Continental ContiProContact on my EX

Noisy, but whatever, they're stock tires.

I'll add Pirelli P4 All Seasons once these burn away.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 2008 4dr Si came with the Michelins. I kept them 24,000 long, noisy, rough riding miles. I generally like Michelins, but not these. I searched tire rack.com for low rolling resistance, quiet, very long lasting tires, at least V rated and came up with Cont DWS tires. Got them and absolutely love them. Noise way down, soft ride, 540 tread wear rating, AA,A. 11,000 miles later they look like new. I changed to these tires and went to 0-30 Mobil 1 at the same time. Mileage went up appx 3 mpg. I've tracked mpg since new.
Our 2008 CRV came with dreadful Bridgestone tires! Went 28,000 noisy, rough riding miles. Searched tirerack.com again and went from 103 to 100 and got Michelin Latitudes with 720 tread rating, cost less than original equipment, very quiet, soft ride and 22,000 miles later, they look like new. Before getting them, my wife was considering getting rid of the CRV due to ride and noise. Now, you couldn't pry it out of her hands.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My '12 Si coupe came with All Season Mich's. No road noise at all! Sorry to hear they put cheaper tires on the EX but.. it is a cheaper model.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
Mine are ultra quite, don't even hear them... that could just be beacause i'm always at 7500RPM... idk :p

I've got 215/40/18 Michelin Super Soft Summer Sport Tires

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just replaced the Continental ProContact tires on my new 2012 EX-L (441 miles) with Michelin Primacy MXV4 because of the road noise on the stock tires. I immediately noticed a difference with the Michelin tires. The road noise to me is substantially less and after reading about issues with the Conti tires I feel more comfortable with my wife driving the car.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,542 Posts
Let me repost what I just wrote in another thread to describe my stock tires.

<< I had thought the stock Good Years on my 8th gen were crap until I took delivery of my 9th gen with the Continentals. Let me try to describe the feel of the ride with these things.

Do you remember the Flintstones? Remember Fred's car? I could swear that my LX has the same set-up as that car. >>

·
Premium Member
8,336 Posts
The stock tires that came on my SI are a bit loud, but I will run them until I need new ones, certain roads are worse than others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For my Si, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4

I found this thread looking to see which Michelin was the summer tire after riding home a couple days ago.

We had freezing rain after a good rain then freezing temps. All the bridges were iced over the night before. A normally 30 minute commute took 5.5 hours (I did 0-5 MPH the entire commute). The next day work let out early due to more freezing rain. As I was crossing a bridge I noticed the Si lose traction a few times, then saw Ford F-150 had hit the wall so I slowed to a crawl. Later in the commute as temps continued to drop, I hit another bridge and I could feel the tires lose traction a few more times.

I thought maybe I had summer tires on my car, nope. All seasons.

I have always had great luck with front wheel drive vehicles on snow and ice and although I do enjoy these tires in the warmer weather, they are definitely not something I would want my wife and kids riding/ driving with during the winter.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts