9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be needing tires soon for my 2014 EX-L. Looking for good quality, quite and comfortable ride. I don't drive aggressively, so no need for higher speed rated.

What is your suggestions?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts
I have Kumho Ecsta PA31s. They behave exactly as you're describing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put Michelin Cross Climate 2s on my EXL. They have absolutely the best reviews and they do seem to perform exactly as noted in the reviews. However, I definitely took about a 15-25 percent hit on my fuel economy and none of the reviews even touch on this aspect of the tire nor did I ever expect them to have such a negative affect. I used to get 37-40 MPG with whatever tire I had on last and now I'm struggling to get between 30-32 mpg. I purchased them at Costco when they were having a difficult time stocking tires... well, they still are thanks to a bunch of idiots.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
I put Michelin Cross Climate 2s on my EXL. They have absolutely the best reviews and they do seem to perform exactly as noted in the reviews. However, I definitely took about a 15-25 percent hit on my fuel economy and none of the reviews even touch on this aspect of the tire nor did I ever expect them to have such a negative affect. I used to get 37-40 MPG with whatever tire I had on last and now I'm struggling to get between 30-32 mpg. I purchased them at Costco when they were having a difficult time stocking tires... well, they still are thanks to a bunch of idiots.
The CC2 are definitely not low resistance tires so your MPG will take a slight hit also winter gas will take a slight hit on your MPG. How are you checking your MPG and what PSI are you running on the tires. Ultimately if you've truly lost 10-12 MPG than that's not a tire issue there is something wrong with your car.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I had Michelin Premier A/S in OEM size a couple years ago.
On a smooth road they are very quiet... your experience may vary.
The only down side is the car lost between 1~2 MPG in around town driving.
My car's historic MPG with stock tires was 23 in town; with the new Mich tires it dropped to 20.5~21 MPG.

·
Registered
2013 ex coupe 5 speed manual
71 Posts
Got these from Costco on sale a few months ago. Great tire. Maintained fuel economy. BFG ADVANTAGE SPORT AS 205/55R16 91H BSW ALL SEASON

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts
It's too bad....because I was just going to get two front tires. Now I have to get all 4.
I'm going to research whatever has replaced them in the Kumho lineup. I like mine. They do everything well, but nothing spectacularly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to research whatever has replaced them in the Kumho lineup. I like mine. They do everything well, but nothing spectacularly.
I saw the replacement....think it was the PA51. It looks okay,...just not as nice of tread pattern.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts
I saw the replacement....think it was the PA51. It looks okay,...just not as nice of tread pattern.
Again, thanks for that info. Me, I'm not so interested in a nice tread pattern, but in how the tire performs. I am not a racecardriver and like a tire that does everything well, if nothing spectacularly.

At this point, after reading some reviews (and not many of them say much of anything of value), I may be looking elsewhere for replacements for my 31s, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, thanks for that info. Me, I'm not so interested in a nice tread pattern, but in how the tire performs. I am not a racecardriver and like a tire that does everything well, if nothing spectacularly.

At this point, after reading some reviews (and not many of them say much of anything of value), I may be looking elsewhere for replacements for my 31s, for what that's worth.
That is worth a bunch, actually. Are you not reading good things about the PA51?

If you happen to discover something that you deem a viable replacement, please post it here. Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any other suggestions, guys? I have a feeling I'm gonna have to do this before the winter road weather hits.

Thanks!

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
Any other suggestions, guys? I have a feeling I'm gonna have to do this before the winter road weather hits.

Thanks!
Unless your planning to do a summer/winter setup than get the Michelin Cross Climate 2 at least they are somewhat capable in winter.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts
That is worth a bunch, actually. Are you not reading good things about the PA51?

If you happen to discover something that you deem a viable replacement, please post it here. Thanks!
Tire reviews can be tricky to interpret. There are so many factors in tire performance and selection, and people place different amounts of importance on many of them.

I don't drive a high performance car, but I do like to drive spiritedly. I don't want to sacrifice comfort for balls-to-the-wall performance. Hence, my desire for a 'high-performance all-season' tire.

For example, a tire review written by a competent driver of a high performance car is of little value to me, as my car and I don't drive that way. That driver's criteria for what makes a good tire, for him, will very likely be significantly different than mine. At the other end, an average driver looking for a tire will have different criteria from both me and the high-perf driver, as well.

Then you have to separate the legitimate reviews from the advertising hyperbole that masquerades as genuine reviews. And then there are the folks who seem to have no clue on how to evaluate something in a way that will be helpful to others..

So, all that being said, here is what I have been able to ascertain, thus far, from my research:

The Kumho PA51 is an even more capable tire than the PA31, which are on my car now, and I like them. As I have stated previously, they don't do any one thing oustandingly well, but they do do everything better than competently.

Dry traction - very good.

Wet traction - very good. I can throw this car into freeway off-ramps, in the rain, and haven't broken loose yet. The Conti Pro or Extreme Contacts I had on my previous Civics would've put me in the weeds in similar situations.

Road noise has been minimal/almost unnoticeable.

Snow traction has been good, for all-seasons (not dedicated snow/winter tires). These tires have gotten me up some snowy/slushy steep grades, albeit slowly, in 2nd gear, that I wasn't sure I'd be able to traverse. My take on driving in snow is that if the tires can do it at all, then it's up to the driver to know how to get it done. I've seen 4-wheelers off in the trees by the side of the parkway as I'm cruising by at a reasonable speed in the snow.

A relatively small number of PA51 reviewers (but enough to make me take notice) complained of receiving tires that were poorly manufactured - out of round, vibrating or noisy. But most thought that the tires were quiet.

Most said they performed very well as ultra high performance all-seasons, not sport tires. They changed direction well and were virtually impossible to break loose, and were very forgiving even past the limit, all the while being comfortable and quiet.

The main thing that bothers me is the occasional poorly manufactured tire, unless this is a thing across the board of all manufacturers.

I will be buying whatever tires I buy locally from my TLG, and not via mail-order such as Tire Rack. The advice I've been getting from the owner over the last 20+ years has been worth whatever small markup above mail order that I may have to cough up.

Not that I'm done, though. I'm going to be reading about some other tires to get a feel for how they perform, and to see if I can correlate them to the PA51s in any meaningful way.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
No, I'd want all season. If the Cross Climate 2 fits that, I could look into those. Thanks.
They are all weather tires. They should be slightly more capable in colder conditions than all seasons that's why I recommend them over all seasons if your only doing a single set of tires.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts
To further clarify what Kev wrote, all-seasons are intended for use in warm, dry, and mild wet conditions. All-weather tires, on the other hand, are suitable for mild winter conditions with heavy rain, snowfall, and slush. So if you live where there is considerable snowfall, all-weathers would be a better bet.

For even more info, see all season vs all weather tires 2021: What’s the Difference? - Tire Deets

1 - 20 of 46 Posts