9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I live in Southwest Missouri. We occasionally can get a few decent snow storms in a season, but it isn't all that common anymore.

Kev and scottyrocks, I really do appreciate all you have offered here. And I am with you on the PA51 you mentioned. I'd be okay with a set of those if not for the issues with poor manufacturing. Maybe there was a bad lot of them and most are good to go. It's a bit of a gamble. But yeah, I'll be getting them here locally.

I also read the article. Though the all weather seems to have their strong points, I think, for my area of the country, I'll just look for all season tires.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
I just put on a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus a couple of months ago. I run these tires during the winter months. They are high performance all seasons so they run a bit louder and harder. They run pretty good on the dry and exceptional in the rain which is the strongest point of these tires.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts
Tire reviews are weird.

In addition to what I wrote above, you can read a bunch of reviews that contradict each other from one to the next. With details, yet. 'Tire A is great.' 'Tire A sucks.' 'Tire A is as quiet as a mouse.' 'Tire A is as noisy as a flatulent warthog.' Perception is so varied that I rarely know what to think when I read these.

I can tell you, however, that my totally positive experience with the PA31s is similar to a minority of the totally positive reviews I have read. But they are my experiences, and that's what I have to go by.

The PA51s, overall, got better reviews than the PA31s, what I have on my car, and I like them a lot. However, what most PA51 reviews don't contain is longevity comments, which the PA31s received a lot of negative comments.

The PA31s got a lot of manufacturing defect comments. Mine are fine with ~30k miles on them, and they still have decent tread. I'll run them through this winter.

And that brings up another point. In all my years of driving, I average about 35k miles on a set of tires. Despite tread wear warranties, I would NEVER expect tires to last 70, 60, or even 50k miles. What the heck are people expecting? Do tires really last that long? Touring tires, maybe. But never in my experience, and I am not a racecar driver. But manufacturers put that out there to sell tires that don't last that long, and then people complain about it and vow to never buy that brand of tire again. Effed up, if you ask me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Good post, scottyrocks. I see how all that could be a factor in trying to decide what to buy....because yeah,...you'll get all the gambit of comments.

And I agree about the longevity and expecting 50-60-70K miles out of tires. I would bet that the tires would dry rot before reaching that anyway,...unless it's on a car that hits the highway all the time. My car's tires [the PA31] ended up with some dry rot. Got the car with around 30K [with the PA31 tires] on it. It has about 65K now.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,691 Posts
Good post, scottyrocks. I see how all that could be a factor in trying to decide what to buy....because yeah,...you'll get all the gambit of comments.

And I agree about the longevity and expecting 50-60-70K miles out of tires. I would bet that the tires would dry rot before reaching that anyway,...unless it's on a car that hits the highway all the time. My car's tires [the PA31] ended up with some dry rot. Got the car with around 30K [with the PA31 tires] on it. It has about 65K now.
Fast dry-rotting tires must be a fairly new thing, given the (lack of) quality of things coming out the Far East (read as 'China'). I've read reports and anecdotes of rubber replacement parts for a number of things, particularly in plumbing supply, that last milliseconds, compared to the original parts that lasted decades (okay, I exaggerate, but you get the point).

A few months ago I sold my '73 Mustang with the same BF Goodrichs that were on it when I got it 19 years prior. Guess what? No dry rot. No tread separation, no vibration, no problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Are there tire brands that would be wise to stay away from? Like,...how good are Firestone tires these days.....or Bridgestone? Dunlop? General?

Some people were telling me that "off brand" tires, like from Nitto, are good and save money. I always figured to stick with the more well known brands.....Michelin, Goodyear,......Pirelli, even. Not sure how well Kumho is doing these days, after what you've been finding about the PA51. And when you spend several hundred dollars,.......definitely want to get something of value.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
Bridgestone owns Firestone, Firestone tires are generally considered good for the money. Continental owns General, General is also considered good for the money. Dunlop I haven't heard much from lately but was a well respected brand from years past and still much better than Chinese off brands. Kumho and Hankook also considered good for the money. My recommendation is stay away from no name off brands and Chinese branded tires. I usually stick with top tier brands like Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, Yokohama, Goodyear etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Went to the Honda dealer after work. Got a few more options. They had the Kumho PA51,...but they also had Kumho PS31. Has anyone heard about those and are they okay?

The service tech also pointed me to a Japanese tire, Nexen. NEX N5000 Platinum, to be specific. Any word on those?

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
Went to the Honda dealer after work. Got a few more options. They had the Kumho PA51,...but they also had Kumho PS31. Has anyone heard about those and are they okay?

The service tech also pointed me to a Japanese tire, Nexen. NEX N5000 Platinum, to be specific. Any word on those?
PS31 is a average performing summer tire, are you shopping for a summer tire?

Nexen is a Korean brand not Japanese, they usually make mid to lower end tires.

Service tech doesn't sound like he knows too much about tires.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Okay, thanks for the insight on the Nexen brand. I hadn't heard of them before.

I'm wanting an all season tire....so definitely not a summer tire.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did some looking around and decided to go with the following,...unless someone says "no, those are not good tires":

Yokohama AVID Ascend LX

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
I did some looking around and decided to go with the following,...unless someone says "no, those are not good tires":

Yokohama AVID Ascend LX
Not a bad choice decent performing tires for the price. I'm running Yokohama summer tires on the Civic totally different from AS I know but same brand been happy with those tires and happy with the brand.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thank you. They seemed to have what I am looking for in AS.....and also had a part in their "blurb" about them being quiet,...which I prefer. And I like the idea of Yokohama on a Civic. I'm guessing those ARE a Japanese brand?

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
I'm guessing those ARE a Japanese brand?
Yes they are although I'm not sure if those are still made in Japan as all sorts of stuff are outsourced now, the Yokohama summer tires I run are made in Japan though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So,....had a bit of a glitch at the local tire store. The girl pulled the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT,....instead of the Avid Ascend LX. I didn't notice until they were already on the car. They said I could bring it back next week and they'd change them out for the LX if I wanted. The question is,...do I want to do that, or just run with the GT? These appear to also have the "quiet technology" like the LX.

Opinions?

·
I Need A Vacation
14,270 Posts
So,....had a bit of a glitch at the local tire store. The girl pulled the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT,....instead of the Avid Ascend LX. I didn't notice until they were already on the car. They said I could bring it back next week and they'd change them out for the LX if I wanted. The question is,...do I want to do that, or just run with the GT? These appear to also have the "quiet technology" like the LX.

Opinions?
I'd keep them. On paper the LX should have a slightly more comfortable ride but the GT should have better wet/dry performance. I'd sacrifice a bit of comfort for better performance.

My dad needs a new set of tires for his Infiniti, I'm considering getting him the Ascend GT.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I was kind of thinking the same......but I do want to express my sincere thanks for all the input you, and the others, have provided. I'm not completely up on the latest technologies [including tires], but if you are considering the Ascend GT,...that means a lot!

And I see what you're saying. Other than the tread pattern of the LX,...which I kind of like a bit more than the GT,....I like the looks of the sidewall on the GT better. And I agree,...having better wet/dry performance is probably better than "slightly more comfort". At least it is also stated as quiet, so I think I'll just keep things as they are.

Again,...MUCH thanks, kev!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
As a side note, it's a good thing I got the 4 wheel alignment. It was fairly off front and back. :)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts