9th Gen Civic Forum banner

What size should i get if I would to get some SSR MS1 wheels?

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  xrdreezy 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm debating whether I should get 17s or 18s for my car. I don't wanna show too much tires and I want to sit on a low profile but at the same time I don't want my wheels to be big that would make my car feel heavy when it runs or make my car to appear higher. Help ? Sorry I'm kinda noob when it comes to wheels and tires. An how much lip I should get for both front and rear and what size of tires I should get. thanks :)

I don't want my wheels and tires to look like this:

I want it to be like this:

Especially this one:

And this is my nonSi civic right now. Poor baby ):
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda civic Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Alloy wheel

See less See more
#5 ·
18s are automatically gonna give you less tire sidewall for any given overall diameter of wheel and tire, resulting in a harsher ride. But as long as you calculate, and achieve, the overall diameter you are going for, either 17s or 18s should work.

18s, given the same model wheel, will be heavier than 17s, due simply to there being more wheel. Can you find some 18s that are lighter than some 17s? Sure. But that's not a valid comparison. If you're settled on one particular style of wheel, the 17s are gonna be lighter in weight.

And since you asked for opinions, I think that 18s, on cars of this size, are too much wheel, drawing too much attention to themselves. I like 16s and 17s, as far as proportional wheel size/car size goes.

#7 ·
18s are automatically gonna give you less tire sidewall for any given overall diameter of wheel and tire, resulting in a harsher ride. But as long as you calculate, and achieve, the overall diameter you are going for, either 17s or 18s should work.

18s, given the same model wheel, will be heavier than 17s, due simply to there being more wheel. Can you find some 18s that are lighter than some 17s? Sure. But that's not a valid comparison. If you're settled on one particular style of wheel, the 17s are gonna be lighter in weight.

And since you asked for opinions, I think that 18s, on cars of this size, are too much wheel, drawing too much attention to themselves. I like 16s and 17s, as far as proportional wheel size/car size goes.
if i get 17s, what do you suggest for tire specs ? should i stretch my tires?

#6 ·
17's with some coilover would look good IMO. You can do 18's but with coils depending on the drop you may get close to a look you DON'T want... although I love the look of 18's with drop :p

My suggestion is this, go find the thread called "Show off your aftermarket wheels"

You will get a good idea of what you want based on what these fella's have

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.