9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow drivers.

My car was hit while parked at a restaurant by another driver that has USAA insurance and I don't know what to do as this never happened to me before. Could you help me resolve this?
No police was called to the scene as the driver is in the military (under 21).

Here's the story:
I was eating at a restaurant and my car was parked right outside. The driver of the other car way getting out of his parking spot, hit my car and messed up my front bumper so it's not drivable. I left my car at the scene and notified both my insurance (GEICO) and his insurance (USAA). my insurance (GEICO) told me that I'm going to have to talk to his insurance (USAA) to figure out what to do next. I went ahead and called his insurance and they told me that they need the insurer's statement first to take the responsibility of fixing my car.

What I'm worried about is that it is a long weekend with Monday being Memorial Day and if USAA doesn't approve of the insurance by then, then I would have to leave my car at the scene for 3 nights, which worries me of my car getting vandalized. Secondly, if USAA doesn't approve, then I would not have a transportation to go to work, as I work on Monday, which is tomorrow.

Even if I get my car towed to a dealership to fix it, wouldn't the tow truck driver not be able to drop my car off tomorrow (Sunday) at the dealership because they will be closed?

I have an LX, so my fog lights are aftermarket. Would the dealership install new fog lights on my car if they see it installed?

So right now, I'm just waiting for USAA to contact their insurer and get back to me ASAP, but I'm pretty sure they're going to take a long time as it is a long weekend.

What can I do at this point to get a rental car and get my car towed?

Thank you so much for your help in advance and I hope you're having a great weekend.

IMG_5645 copy.jpg IMG_5647 copy.jpg

·
Registered
748 Posts
Should have called the police to have come out and make an official report of the incident because then that would be the other drivers statement of being at fault. Now youre having to put your faith in someone to hopefully do the right thing cause he could easily tell his insurance company that no he didnt damage anyones car wasnt him and an insurance company will do everything not have to pay out.

Most big dealerships (i work at lexus) are open sundays and even will be on memorial day for sales department so you can have your car towed there and take your keys or if theres a key drop off box have them left. We get cars towed in after service is closed and tow truck drivers will put the keys in the overnight drop off box.

Rough luck though man what kind of car was he in cause thats a fair bit of damage for slowly (unless hes one of those people who whips out of a spot fast) backing out of a parking spot

·
Registered
405 Posts
How is that not driveable?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Zip tie and duct tape that back on. Or even just take the rest of it off and toss in the back.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In terms of rental, you could always rent a car your self if you can't wait for insurance to come through and save the receipts and insurance can reimburse you as part of the pay out. But idk how good an option that would be especially since as it was mentioned before, USAA may try to wiggle their way out of paying out depending on what their own insured says.

·
Banned
58 Posts
The incident happened on private property therefore, the police don't have jurisdiction and are usually not interested in getting involved. Hope you can work it out with the owner and his insurance. If not, it might take a lawyer, worst case, or just fight another day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you car is still at the restaurant, I'd go back and take the bumper off, and toss it in the trunk. All you need is a set of Allen keys, phillips and flathead screwdriver. It's just like the 8th gen civic I have. It all just is held together by clips and screws. Just pop the hood, unclip your cooling plate and remove the two allen head screws near the grill. The rest is self-explanatory.

Without the police report, you're trusting that other guy. (Military or not, I don't trust anyone!)

Get in touch with the other driver's insurance company, and you MUST retain all receipts of the damages and costs you incurred due to the incident. Since you're not injured, this should be relitively quick since doctors and health ins isn't involved.

The other driver's ins company is going to need all your receipts to prove your damages. (My friend was in an accident last year and is still waiting to be reimbursed.) So, I'm pretty familiar with the drill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You need to make a police report. You can use your insurance and pay the deductible and have your insurance go after his insurance but it will take time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is where your phone comes in handy. Always record the license plate & vehicle of the offender first. It does not matter if the person denies the accident you have proof. Call police file an accident report. Insurance companies love an official accident report, they usually don't procrastinate when repairs are needed provided you have full coverage. Insurance companies don't cover any aftermarket accessories unless they are ordered from the factory of the car manufacturer when you buy the car, like Honda's HFP line of products for example. If you have really good insurance they may not check to see if you added say HFP accessories later.
Tape or wire that bumper up it looks ugly but that is completely drivable. Your dealer or body shop will just drive that right into their garage to repair it. Good luck

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,081 Posts
I've had more than one car hit while it was parked. As long as you have positive identification of the other car/driver, contact his/her insurance company and they will most likely pay out. It's pretty cut and dried. Pictures, of course, help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Idrove my little champ for over a year without a bumper hahah. Not saying you should you do it but rather if you HAVE to do it, nothing wil he damagedt. At first i was scared my radiator would get damaged but it never got hit. The pavement would hit the radiator support. I actually drove this thing home about 15 miles that day, luckily the policeman let me.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, it is a week later. Hope you got this resolved. Next time, take a pic of the other car with the plate, have it towed to where you want it fixed and go through your own insurance. They will pay you, less your deductible, and will make a claim from the other carrier. When they collect, they will send you a check for your deductible.

(34+ years in auto insurance claims.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts