9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Whats a good bolt on mod for the Civic SI ?

Tags
$1000 200whp 2012 2013 civic si 8th 9th 9thgenciviccom acceleration acura add adsorber advice aem afe afe or takedabuy aftermarket air approved arizona art article axle back backup ball bit black body bolt bolt on bolton boltons borla box or hydrocarbon braaah builds buy buying bypass cai car carb carbon cars cat catback ceramic chamber check chicagoland choices christmas city civic civic si clip cold color community concerns cone confirmed confused cons conversion coolant cotton coupe couple covers cure datalog dealer dealership deals decision direct discount discussion door downpipe drop dry dyno early engine exaust exempt exhaust expect facebook fiber filter filters finding fit fitment fix flashpro florida flow foam friday or christmas frustrated fujita full fun future gains gasket gauze gen general generally generations good grades greddy group hard helpintake high honda hondata hood horsepower houston hp or torque huge hybrid hydroshield hypertech iat ideas ideas or upgrades including increase increases increasing independently info ingen initial injen injen intake install install or pic or diy installation instock intake intake or full intakes issue jersey k20 k24 k24z7 kandn kit lack legal localish lottery louder love lowest make makes making mani manifold market mas material mechanic metal mod modified mods motor movement need help noise number numbers ons options order ordered oxnard p2r paid part parts passwordjdm pcd or downpipe people perform performance performances phoenix pics pieced plz power powerchamber prefer present price prl project pros prototypes pwjdm questions race racing ram rbc rbc intake manifold ready recently red reflash resale results rolling rrc running sale sales sedan sense serious setup short si mods sites size skunk skunk2 sound spacer spaer spend spotted sri stage status stock stuck stupid support systems t or b takeada takeda tbs tester testing thermal things thoughts throttle tips tones torque tsx tube tubing tuned tuning typhoon ultimate update upgrades user venturi visor void vtec wanna wanted warranties warranty won work worth wrinkle xmas
598K views 3K replies 609 participants last post by  Ninjewk20 
#1 ·
With my older Civic, i found Spoon Sports and T1R to be my top favorites for performance. I used some Injen parts in the past, but i ended up selling them within weeks of buying it.

What are your favorite aftermarket performance brands?

#104 ·
I'm curious what would you guys normally put on your Civic? Looking for something that doesn't cost too much but has decent gains. Assuming the 2012 Civic still uses the same K20 motor that's in the 8th gen Civic. What would you guys recommend?
you assume wrong, the new motor is a k24 not a k20. So to answer your question, ANY bolt on you can find at this point would be a good mod!
:spazface:

#3 ·
from past experience with civics im going to have to say real cold air intakes. not one of those cheap knockoffs. like one thats been researched and tested by the manufacturer. something like k&n would be a good one to go with. it will give you a lil bit of a hp bump but it will also give you a noticeable change in the engines responsiveness.

Attachments

#5 ·
I would have to agree with car crazy! Intake is the cheapest bolt-on mod u can do and it defintely gives the car more pep and it sounds a bit better and deeper, Plus it helps your car breathe better. I personally had Injen SRI, but AEM and K&N is good too. Afetr this you should go for your exhaust and then header for last cause thats usually the most expensive and if you plan to do it yourself it takes longer than installing intake or exhaust but you'll get some true power out of all 3!

#14 ·
Cold Air vs Short Ram

Ok so here is the question....which one are you running and why? Reason i ask is because you can run a cold air intake but you run a high chance of sucking in water during winter which could be a huge problem, or you run a short ram and now your sucking in hot air which could actally decrease and hurt decrease your numbers? Or maybe you run the cold air during the dry months and the ram during the winter.....so what's your choice?

sorry this should have been a poll.....

#16 ·
Short Ram, I got a deal from a friend...

But, I'ld rather have a CAI because of the better all around performance, short rams are good for low end power (so i hear) while the engine is still cool. I think people mostly run short rams because of it's availability in that it's easy to find and usually cheaper than cold airs as well as it's interchangeability in that the same intake can usually work on a number of different vehicles.

CAI's are a bit harder to find locally because they are made specifically to fit your engine, thus it's lesser availability.

#17 ·
I had a CAI on all of my cars. The EP3 sucked up water...only a little bit and stalled...but started right back up.

Then with the FA5, I came close to sucking up water when it rained a ton in San Antonio. So I had enough and just made my own "Icebox"...basically used the stock intake and redid the rest of the intake tubes to capture air below. I had more hp with that than with other FA5's running SRI when I went to a dyno day.

So in the end, from my experience...I'll be sticking with a custom intake utilizing the stock intake box.

#20 ·
I had a CAI on all of my cars. The EP3 sucked up water...only a little bit and stalled...but started right back up.

Then with the FA5, I came close to sucking up water when it rained a ton in San Antonio. So I had enough and just made my own "Icebox"...basically used the stock intake and redid the rest of the intake tubes to capture air below. I had more hp with that than with other FA5's running SRI when I went to a dyno day.

So in the end, from my experience...I'll be sticking with a custom intake utilizing the stock intake box.

good info, thx buddy! Do you hav any pics of this install? i'd like to see how you did it.

#18 ·
Injen CAI currently on the EP3.

If I was to get this new 2012 Civic SI Sedan, I'll also be getting a CAI but will only get the CARB legal one as I'm from California. I guess it won't be till a long time.

#21 ·
i think you will be surprised how quick they become available.....the non SI models havent changed so they should already be out.....the SI model though, with the new motor, isnt really new since its a swap from a TSX. Im betting the engine bays are very similiar so they should be available pretty quick. Im in CA as well so i feel ya on the CARB stickers

#29 ·
well that depends on you. im one of those "rather be safe then sorry" guys when it comes to not wanting to blow up my motor.....being that you are on the east coast i imagine that you get some pretty nasty weather there and that the SRI maybe be a safe and better choice for you. we dont really get rain here so there isnt much to worry about for me.

#31 ·
Most of the time the air filter of the cai would have to submerge from hitting huge puddles but there are a few people who claimed there wasn't even a huge puddle and still hydrolock their motor. Injen does have a hydro shield for the cai air filter but it only repels water droplets, not protecting the air filter when it submerges.

But Talon is right, It is better to be safe than sorry. If it rains alot then a sri is the way to go...

In Nor Cal, we do get rain too but it is not too serious. I have the cai on all year and there were some close times i drove into puddles risking.

#35 ·
Before a sri, maybe a airbox mod? lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.