9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Wheelskins cowhide leather steering wheel cover on my 2013 Si today. Maybe a 90 minute job. Not real fun threading through the cover but I did the best I could. Nothing wrong with the original OEM cover but I wanted a leather grip and to protect the wheel from the sun. It cost $54 shipped on eBay. I also have black leather seat covers in the car to protect the seats and they feel better than cloth.

Anyone here have a Wheelskin cover?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
I used to do lace-up leather steering wheel covers back when my steering wheels were hard, shiny plastic. Very nice look and feel.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've used them before on base model cars, but don't see the need to put a leather cover over a leather-wrapped wheel.... Best protection for this wheel is to treat and clean the leather frequently.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used them before on base model cars, but don't see the need to put a leather cover over a leather-wrapped wheel.... Best protection for this wheel is to treat and clean the leather frequently.
The steering wheel appears synthetic leather to me, just like my old Civic, which wheel deteriorated. Synthetic or not, the Wheelskin will protect it.

Pics will follow soon.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
It looks like a stuffed derma.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
This is just like those who put on car bras or bug deflectors or seat covers on a new car. For whose use are you protecting it?... Some future owner? No thanks. I'll enjoy it now and if it deteriorates in 10 years, an upholstery shop can re-cover it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is just like those who put on car bras or bug deflectors or seat covers on a new car. For whose use are you protecting it?... Some future owner? No thanks. I'll enjoy it now and if it deteriorates in 10 years, an upholstery shop can re-cover it.
I have leather seat and steering wheel covers. I like the feel of leather rather than a rubber wheel or cloth seat. It also cleans easier than cloth. You can't order an Si with leather seats.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
hahahahahaaaa, that was great! Sounds like something I would've heard at a '70s bar-mitzvah. :laugh:

I was fully expecting no one to understand my reference. I'm glad I was wrong.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think it was a great idea.... I would like to see how mine holds up without any covers with just routine cleaning and treatment. If it starts to wear I will take it to an upholstery shop and see if they can repair or replace. At any rate glad you got it covered the way you like!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The stock one should be fine. Just clean regularly. Remember, leather should be matte, not smooth and shiny.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm gonna get a wheelskins for my lx. Wheelskins. Are actually really nice in the plastic steering wheel but on a wheel with leather already on it you might as well wait ti that leather wears out. The wheelskins makes the car smell real good for a little while too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks really nice. Wish I had known of wheelskins when I had my RSX (red/black combo would've looked great).

How do you like the perforated leather? I sent for leather samples, but did not request any of the perforated. Is the darker leather black or charcoal? I was thinking of going for the two tone with black and cobalt ('15 EX in DBP).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks really nice. Wish I had known of wheelskins when I had my RSX (red/black combo would've looked great).

How do you like the perforated leather? I sent for leather samples, but did not request any of the perforated. Is the darker leather black or charcoal? I was thinking of going for the two tone with black and cobalt ('15 EX in DBP).

I enjoy the perforated, I like the texture of it. It's a black/red combo that goes well with the red seats and CBP outside. Installation is better accomplished with two people and I found the toughest part to be when starting as it's sort of difficult to get the seams to stay tight on the first few stitches. It does take patience and some effort but I'm happy with the result.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts