9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Civic does not seem to have lock for the glove box....It looks stupid, why would they do that? I can keep anything in the glove box now as anyone can break the window and open the glove box...

·
Registered
134 Posts
If they can break the window, they probably could break into a locked glovebox just as easily.

If you're still concerned, I know the trunk can be locked. However I would suggest not keeping any valuables in the car period. I'm always of the mindset that anything I keep in my car could be stolen and so I'd better be prepared to replace it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
A lock would have been nice and asked myself the same question when we bought our car, but IMO glove box locks arent secure enough. Its easy to break into them and if a crook notices that it is locked they are bound to think something of value is in it and try hard to get it open. If you valet park then the locks come in handy, but thats why theres a valet key and a way to lock the trunk. Even then its not 100% secure because all you would have to do is rip the seats out. As BrianJR said better to just not keep anything of high value in the car period.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I have not looked on the civic yet...but on my Altima, the procedure for replacing the cabin filter was to remove the hinge pins, then remove the glove box. So for the Altima, locked or not you could pull the box easily.
As far as i know, i think most glove box locks just prevent the button from being pressed, it doesn't lock it into the dash does it? This goes with the idea another posted that they aren't very secure.
I know what you mean though, keeps the honest people honest, but if someone broke your windows to get into the car, it wouldn't stop them from F'ing up the dash/glove box to get something out of it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yep its easy in the Civic to remove the cabin filter just like the Altima. Just pop off the glove box then the filter cover. What sucks is there are people who wont know how easy it is and have the dealer do it where they will of course charge so much money for something that takes less then 5 minutes with no tools.
Now the Mazda 3 is a royal pain and would take a minimum of 30 mins. because you have to remove so many pieces, screws, nuts, brackets, etc.. which is why I never even attempted it. lol
When I saw how easy it was to change the Civics I was very thankful.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Haha, +1 on the self-install of the cabin filter. I saved 70+ bucks myself by buying the cabin filter of my Altima online and putting it in myself. It's mind-boggling how much dealerships make over such simple procedures like this xD.

Back on topic though, I agree about the uselessness of a locked glovebox. Somewhat useful for valet parking and full-service carwashes while you wait. Otherwise, pretty pointless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I disagree, most of the time when someone breaks into a car it's more like hit and run. Glass breaking is loud and draws attention. So usually when someone breaks a car window to grab something, it's cuz they see something immediately and will check everywhere else as quickly as possible. So that means anything easy to access.

So IMO it goes both ways, if someone gets in they most likely check the glove box, but they will only break in if they see something they want. So your best bed is just to hide anything valuable. Like strikefellowhawk said, best just not to keep anything too expensive in the car at all, or atleast not in the open.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't know - a lock glove box is screaming "break me open" cause the only time anyone would lock it is if there was something to steal from it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not saying I'm the expert, but I live and go to school near the south side of chicago. Not the best area. But in my experience car break in's are not random. Unless you see something you really want, would you break into random cars, making a hellova lotta noise in hopes there MIGHT be something in there? Probably not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe that the lock for the glove box is in the accord....manufacturers add options as you move up. if they put everything in the civic, they would not have a reason to upgrade people. before you point out that the accord has more power and so forth, just remember that some people literally buy cars for interior and color....and it baffles me, so they have to have a curve on what is available for the inside as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Where is it you ask?! It's right there, ...on the Accord trim.
:giggle:

...but fo realz, ...Honda gotta keep te Civic as an economical model choice and little things like locks for the glove box will be reserved for the Accord. I know the 8thGen and other Gen's were like this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
At the end of the day, it was a stupid cost cutting measure on Hondas part. There is no reason not to have a lock on a glove box.

Any additional security measures like a locking glove box wouldn't break the bank in my opinion.

It's not hard to pop a glove box open, but it's makes it just a touch more difficult than a non-locking glove box.

A lock box under the passenger seat would be nice.

QUICK... Someone get on that...

·
Registered
74 Posts
If they can break the window, they probably could break into a locked glovebox just as easily.

Locking glove boxes are a waste of time. Years ago, I had a new 93' Accord. My wife decided to lock it one night while at work. Funny thing is there was NOTHING in the **** box to lock up. Thieves broke in and destroyed the dashboard and the glove box to get nothing.

Just thought I'd share....

Now the trauma of my destroyed Accord is fresh again. Thanks a lot.

:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually, I noticed that there is only one external key lock on the Civic sedan. No passenger door lock, glove compartment lock or external trunk lock. The only key locks are the driver side door, the lock on the trunk/gas cap access lever, and the ignition. Found it a little odd, actually.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The new Civic does not seem to have lock for the glove box....It looks stupid, why would they do that? I can keep anything in the glove box now as anyone can break the window and open the glove box...
You are looking at a CIVIC man! No civic to this day in the US has ever had a locking glove box. You need to look higher up (accord like what bruddah Hawn says) if you want those amenities. BTW just about everyone I know or have known (except for this one old couple) with locking glove boxes have never used the lock. It is nice to have though, intact anything "extra" in a car is nice to have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glove box locked?

Hey everyone, so today I go to open the glovebox to put in my new insurance card and well I can't. I've done some searching and it seems as though the civic does not come with a glove box lock at all. All I have inside is the car manual and my insurance card/registration. Is there something I should look for, or does it have a lock? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The idea behind this was the glovebox was very small compare to most glovebox so they did a trunk lock instead of a glove box which the lock to the trunk is at your left foot

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey everyone, so today I go to open the glovebox to put in my new insurance card and well I can't. I've done some searching and it seems as though the civic does not come with a glove box lock at all. All I have inside is the car manual and my insurance card/registration. Is there something I should look for, or does it have a lock? Thanks.
There is not a lock on the glovebox. Does the latch fell as if it is locked?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts