9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm an active member over on Acurazine.com (Frosty), but I figured I'd post this review here as well since my friend drives an SI, and recently upgraded his lower fogs with these same LEDs (pics coming soon).

My search for LEDs started after I became sick of the Nokya Hyper Yellow halogens that I had in both my upper (factory) fogs, and my lower (Inspire) fogs. I was just tired of the yellow, JDM-look in general. So I originally planned on getting white LEDs for the upper fogs, and white HIDs for the lower fogs (That's what most people do). I knew the upper LEDs would never be as bright as the lower HIDs, but putting HIDs in the upper fog housings really isn't a viable option.

There are quite a few LED options out there, but I would dare to say that I've found the absolute best one, both in terms of color, and brightness. I stumbled across it while searching on a popular lighting site, and they were listed for nearly $100. They caught my attention because they were new (2014), and the specs looked quite impressive. I was able to find the same LEDs elsewhere for a much better price, and decided to give them a shot.

The install was a piece of cake- a simple plug-and-play design.

When I turned them on for the first time, I literally thought I had turned the HIDs on by mistake- that's how insanely bright these things are! (4800 lumens)
Upper fogs / DRLs ONLY

I was so impressed with these LEDs, that I ditched the idea of getting HIDs for my lower fogs, and bought another set of these LEDs instead.
Lower Fogs ONLY

About a week ago, one of my factory HIDs burned out, so while I waited for my CBIs to arrive, I had to use only my upper and lower LEDs to light the path. I had no problems whatsoever. I forgot the HIDs were even off.

Upper Fogs / DRLs and Lower Fogs ONLY

These LEDs matched my factory (color-shifted) HIDs quite well, but they are a PERFECT match for the CBIs. I convinced my brother to get a pair for the fogs on his 2011 335i (which also has CBIs), and they couldn't be a closer match. My mom also got a set for her 2011 SRX fogs. They are a great match for her HIDs also.

BEFORE

AFTER

Here is a picture I took after installing my CBI HIDs. They are a very close match now, but I'm anticipating a perfect match after the CBI break-in period.

Sooo... What do you guys think?!​

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy got a set of these LEDs for his SI, and I was able to snap some pics tonight at the weekly car meet we have in town. He LOVES 'em, and is ordering the highs and lows next week to match. They look so much better than the factory halogens!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this bulb works as drl/high beam?9005/hb3
This LED will only power on when it receives 12 volts (like many other LEDs). It's my understanding that your 9005 bulb receives 6 volts during the day (running as a DRL) and then receives 12 volts when you flick on the high beams. You will need to buy a harness that supplies the bulb with continuous 12-volt power so that they come on during the day. They will come on when you flick the high beams as usual. This is what you need: DRL Harness

·
Registered
359 Posts
This LED will only power on when it receives 12 volts (like many other LEDs). It's my understanding that your 9005 bulb receives 6 volts during the day (running as a DRL) and then receives 12 volts when you flick on the high beams. You will need to buy a harness that supplies the bulb with continuous 12-volt power so that they come on during the day. They will come on when you flick the high beams as usual. This is what you need: DRL Harness
Great info, and it makes complete sense. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this issue because I've been wondering the same thing

·
Registered
440 Posts
So what kind of voltage does the low beams get? 12v? I hope my logic isn't flawed but it seems this could be a solution to having your DRL disabled while allowing you to use your fog lights for DRL. I'm sure I've read on the forums that several people were looking for this feature.

So during the day you use your fog lights for DRL, or not at all. Your DRL doesn't get enough voltage to turn on. And at night your low beams work normally and then when you turn them on your high beams get the 12V they need to work. Supplying 6V to your LEDs couldn't hurt them, right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So what kind of voltage does the low beams get? 12v? I hope my logic isn't flawed but it seems this could be a solution to having your DRL disabled while allowing you to use your fog lights for DRL. I'm sure I've read on the forums that several people were looking for this feature.

So during the day you use your fog lights for DRL, or not at all. Your DRL doesn't get enough voltage to turn on. And at night your low beams work normally and then when you turn them on your high beams get the 12V they need to work. Supplying 6V to your LEDs couldn't hurt them, right?
Yes, the low beams get 12v. Everything you said is correct and would work. You would just need to figure out HOW to wire the lower fogs to be independent (I'm sure somebody has written a DIY for it), and then yes, you could turn those on (or off) whenever you wanted, and the DRLs would ONLY come on once they received the 12v from the high beam signal. That would also save you from having to buy the $50 DRL harness. I bet there is also a way to wire the lower fogs to STAY on when the high beams are activated. Talk about illumination! :cool:

Good idea! :thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My buddy got another set of these LEDs for the low beam housings on his 9th Gen Civic to match the fogs that he had already installed. He sent me these pics today, but I'll take some better ones the next time we meet up. He needs to adjust the angle because they are aiming a little too low right now. Luckily, it's as easy as turning a screw (like the TL HIDs). They look great!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Frosty wow that looks really good, and the illumination on the road looks better than my 4300k xenons! What kind of bulbs and where did he get them from?
Hey man, it's the same LEDs that I reviewed in post 1 of this thread. Make sure to use their coupon code for 20% off and free shipping: GTXM2 LINK

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are these plug and play ?
Yep; just like changing a halogen bulb. UNLESS, you are using them in the DRL/Highbeam location, then you will need THIS harness to make the DRLs work. If you are using them in the lowbeam or lower fog location (or any spot that gets 12v of power), they are a direct plug-and-play replacement.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quick question...

It asks for quantity and the page shows a box with two bulbs in it. I'm assuming a quantity of "1" would be a single box with two bulbs, correct?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick question...

It asks for quantity and the page shows a box with two bulbs in it. I'm assuming a quantity of "1" would be a single box with two bulbs, correct?
You are correct. A quantity of 1 gets you 1 pair of 2 lights.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts