9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was almost certain that the fuel economy light bars on the non Si models were used as shift lights on the Si models since they do not have the fuel economy function.

It's kind of mind boggling that this isn't the case. They are perfectly placed to be used as shift light indicators.
Car Speedometer Trip computer Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts
That semi-circular thing under the speedometer, with numbers and a needle is called a tachometer:

ta·chom·e·ter
/taˈkämədər,təˈkämədər/

noun

noun: tachometer; plural noun: tachometers
  1. an instrument which measures the working speed of an engine (especially in a road vehicle), typically in revolutions per minute. (It helps ya ta know when ta shift.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was almost certain that the fuel economy light bars on the non Si models were used as shift lights on the Si models since they do not have the fuel economy function.

It's kind of mind boggling that this isn't the case. They are perfectly placed to be used as shift light indicators.
On the non-Si models, those bars are used as fuel-economy indicators. They are blue when accelerating; they turn green when driving economically. CNET refers to them as training gauges.

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts
On the non-Si models, those bars are used as fuel-economy indicators. They are blue when accelerating; they turn green when driving economically. CNET refers to them as training gauges.
Yeah, I disabled mine. Annoying as f**k that they were mostly always blue. They're always blue now. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That semi-circular thing under the speedometer, with numbers and a needle is called a tachometer:

ta·chom·e·ter
/taˈkämədər,təˈkämədər/

noun

noun: tachometer; plural noun: tachometers
  1. an instrument which measures the working speed of an engine (especially in a road vehicle), typically in revolutions per minute. (It helps ya ta know when ta shift.)
I’m assuming this is a troll?

·
I Need A Vacation
14,712 Posts
it’s not annoying at all actually very good for maximizing gas mileage.
Best way to increase MPG is take it easy on the throttle and drive in the slow lane. Don't need lights to help you do that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well the lights actually do help many drivers. There are studies that show cars coaching drivers to drive economically does increase mpg. That’s why almost every new car has it now

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
1,035 Posts
Well the lights actually do help many drivers. There are studies that show cars coaching drivers to drive economically does increase mpg. That’s why almost every new car has it now

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.
Ah, I see. This proves the Si is not meant for mpgs, but simile per mile!

Reactions: Si owner #6

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts
it’s not annoying at all actually very good for maximizing gas mileage.
I have no interest in maximizing mpgs, and I don't need the car reminding me to do so at every press of the throttle.

I drive to have fun, and let the mpgs fall where they may.

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts
Best way to increase MPG is take it easy on the throttle and drive in the slow lane. Don't need lights to help you do that.
True. Just more nanny b*llsh*t.

·
Registered
2015 MSM FB6
649 Posts
Whoah! It's been awhile since I have been on the forums but I'm glad to know Scotty and Kev are still kickin!

On a side note, it would be nice if maybe via Hondata or a tuning solution we could use that area as a shift light. Now that I'm boosted, erm, well, I haven't noticed anymore my i-VTEC light. Things happen to fast for me to comfortably look away from the track/road. Luckily I know when to shift just by the tone of my engine and exhaust, but it would be since to have an OEM shift light in this case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts