9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been very seriously considering going boosted for quite some time now (the 205hp just isn't enough anymore and will probably go Cte if I do). After looking through countless threads I've seen a trend that many people go boosted (regardless of SC or turbo, cte or kraftwerks or FR or PRL, etc.) and then turn around and piece out the car less than a year later.... What is the reason for this? Obviously there are probably various and different reasons each person does this but I would like to know if there is a commonality. Possible reasons I have thought of are:

1 - Car becomes unreliable compared to NA to the point it's a hassle (lots of maintenance and issues)

2 - Car is no longer daily-able (mpg loss, bad performance in weather, rough ride due to things like motor mounts, stiffer clutch, torque, etc)

3 - Large hp #'s are not as great as they sound on a FWD car (torque steer, traction, not able to "stoplight race", etc)

4 - Car feels "slower" than they thought it would on boost (specifically cte stg 1)

5 - They would rather "move up" to a car that is faster stock or has stock boost (WRX, Mustang, GTI, etc.)

6 - Boosting is more of an investment than it's worth (buy the kit + clutch + motor mounts + suspension, etc)

It seems that going boosted and then selling the car off would be a HUGE loss in $$$ (selling parts for less minus shipping/installation and selling car in general) so there would have to be a major reason for getting rid of it right? Thoughts?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,625 Posts
Great thread topic. I'm looking forward to seeing some responses.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I've been very seriously considering going boosted for quite some time now (the 205hp just isn't enough anymore and will probably go Cte if I do). After looking through countless threads I've seen a trend that many people go boosted (regardless of SC or turbo, cte or kraftwerks or FR or PRL, etc.) and then turn around and piece out the car less than a year later.... What is the reason for this? Obviously there are probably various and different reasons each person does this but I would like to know if there is a commonality. Possible reasons I have thought of are:

1 - Car becomes unreliable compared to NA to the point it's a hassle (lots of maintenance and issues)

2 - Car is no longer daily-able (mpg loss, bad performance in weather, rough ride due to things like motor mounts, stiffer clutch, torque, etc)

3 - Large hp #'s are not as great as they sound on a FWD car (torque steer, traction, not able to "stoplight race", etc)

4 - Car feels "slower" than they thought it would on boost (specifically cte stg 1)

5 - They would rather "move up" to a car that is faster stock or has stock boost (WRX, Mustang, GTI, etc.)

6 - Boosting is more of an investment than it's worth (buy the kit + clutch + motor mounts + suspension, etc)

It seems that going boosted and then selling the car off would be a HUGE loss in $$$ (selling parts for less minus shipping/installation and selling car in general) so there would have to be a major reason for getting rid of it right? Thoughts?
You'll get some responses alright.

Let me add more fuel to your fire.

"Race car."

The very short end of it that explains why people try to go that far just to attain what they feel would be their ultimate dream machine. The one that no other car out there can out race. The one that's faster than your eyes can even blink. The one that... Goodness gracious! Because they have the money to do so and losing more money doesn't even matter because they can spend their money the way they want to.

Every individual has their own reason/s why so. Some rare few end up keeping what they modified, and like what you just mentioned, a trend for most to let it go (with whatever reason that goes with doing so).

Anyhow, perception-wise, these modified piece of machines are branded as personal race cars (on or even off race track). Like the saying goes...

Rallycross Vehicle Motorsport Car Touring car racing

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can't speak for those people who sell there car or part it out but, I absolutely love my car as it is now. The car drives great as a daily driver and I have no reason to sell anything or sell it. I even have a full time car seat in the back for my daughter. When it's time to sell her a few years down the road I will sell as is to someone, not part it out, What a pain in the ass that must be. I think people get tired of cars and want something different. I have no desire for anything out there and highly enjoy the looks on the faces of the countless v8s, modified sti's and other ignorant people I beat, in my little civic .

·
Registered
504 Posts
Boosting it will never be an investment, you will always loose that money, so dont ever think you will make it back in the long run. Also you should know that once you spend that 7k to boost it, you will continue to spend more money to make repairs to the weak trans, motors or what ever seems to break

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boosting it will never be an investment, you will always loose that money, so dont ever think you will make it back in the long run. Also you should know that once you spend that 7k to boost it, you will continue to spend more money to make repairs to the weak trans, motors or what ever seems to break
I totally agree, you are sinking money into the car in exchange for excitement and speed. I guess the question is more in reference to the abundance of people who boost the car then sell it/part it very soon afterwards, giving off the impression that they are dissatisfied with the results for whatever reason. If you were going to put 7k in a car to boost it you would think that you would want enjoy it for a while.... at least in most cases.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with this but at the same time nothing about cars can be considered an investment. Cars lose value regardless. My theory is modding cars is just fun to do and on this forum we all chose to mod one of the cheapest cars on the market.. We aren't supercharging m3s or gtrs here. If you properly negotiated the purchase price of your car you can slap a cte on and get it tunned and you will be right around the out the door cost of a wrx. But instead of having just a stock car you'll have a pretty cool and unique civic.. My .02... I have also done a tone of research and I don't think fi really effects the reliability of our cars at all... I had a supercharged rsx types for about 70,000 miles and that thing required 0 maintenance. Basic oil changes.. I even put regular gas in there. :eek:

·
Registered
813 Posts
I personally couldn't f'ing stand the exedy stg2 clutch. Took all the fun out of it for me. Then I had to replace a hose on the cooler reservoir that rubbed on the axle until it almost burst. I caught that when I was doing a routine suspension check. To replace the whole hose like I wanted to do instead of just cutting and putting a coupler in I had to take off the bumper, had the bumper off and a day later I decided "you know what? f this I'm taking it all out" My commute daily is 8 miles 1 way. I got over the initial awe of having a s/c so decided I could put it back to near stock and at least get even on a sale/trade in since the kbb on these is actually quite high still imo.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I agree with this but at the same time nothing about cars can be considered an investment. Cars lose value regardless. My theory is modding cars is just fun to do and on this forum we all chose to mod one of the cheapest cars on the market.. We aren't supercharging m3s or gtrs here. If you properly negotiated the purchase price of your car you can slap a cte on and get it tunned and you will be right around the out the door cost of a wrx. But instead of having just a stock car you'll have a pretty cool and unique civic.. My .02... I have also done a tone of research and I don't think fi really effects the reliability of our cars at all... I had a supercharged rsx types for about 70,000 miles and that thing required 0 maintenance. Basic oil changes.. I even put regular gas in there. :eek:
Bamn!!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I have really wondered about this too. Great thread, OP.

I'm also interested in people's opinions as I plan to go CTE route. I'm probably gonna be that annoying guy though that goes with the 3.6 pulley. I like to make calculated decisions, not impulsive ones. I don't want MAX power.. power.. power..(echo lol). I would supercharge simply for the moderate increase in power, as well as the exclusivity of owning a supercharged 9th. For this reason, I don't feel that I would quickly get bored and jump ship. I originally fell in love with the 8th TW coupe Si, and now that I have that model 9th (2012 at that!), I sorta already own my "dream car". Just want to make it a little faster ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I love my boosted civic!
I 2nd this! Im planning to keep this until......it faaiiillllls. Aha mainly because i learned so much by having this car and the knowledge it gives me, so ill continue to learn and participate as long as this car will last me.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
For reliability and everyday drivability the CT-E sounds like the way to go. Plus that supercharger whine sounds sick.

Reactions: Civi9

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey Jaber, I wanted to give my opinions on my car (maxed out ct kit). Im sure there are different reasons for different folks however...

1 - Car becomes unreliable compared to NA to the point it's a hassle (lots of maintenance and issues).
Car is not unreliable. There are perks to adding supporting mods such as adding a imt idler and aftercooler to a cte kit and/or building the engine on a prl kit for running massive power reliably. I'm personally on a maxed out cte kit other than running full 3" catless exhaust and porting there is not much additional mods I can add. I take my car everywhere, took it to 200-800 miles trips without any issues. Also, this is my daily car, gets used everytime to work, groceries, trips, this is my only means of transportation and it definitely gets used a lot).

The car is definitely dailyable. Im right around 400hp/300torque. The clutch takes some getting used to (if you go stage one you wont notice anything different from stock, I went with stage 2 so that it can hold more power). While I wish I had a full 3-piece motor mount setup, I kept it with the softest rear mount only for less vibrations and better daily. This is not enough, but something to deal with. I have had hard launches, but it without real 3-piece mounts, I wont be able to enjoy it to its fully potential so I really keep it wot 2-3-4-5-6 gears only. MPG loss is only relevant when your pressing gas. Which is always, I'm really not easy with the pedal its too addicting to drive it fast, so much that I got used to getting to places fast and almost terrible enough on the road that almost every other driver will piss you off because they are driving too slow when your barely tapping the pedal. It definitely gets pushed everywhere. But when your keeping it easy, you wont notice much of a mpg drop.

Torque steer is actually fun lol anything gas is fully pressed, there is drama, but exciting drama. its not as fast from a dig, but full mounts, better tires/rims, traction control should help with that or even slix at the track. I've honestly only stop light raced 1 or 2 times the past 15k miles with this kit on, I've never really ran into anyone that wanted to stop light race, although I know id prolly get owned.

Car did feel slow with stage 1 or 2 even, it was when an aftercooler, 2.95 pulley, e85, and an aggressive daily tune was added when things got really exciting and a lot more enjoyable and fast

I consider the civic cheap car ok bang for buck. I wanted a faster more luxurious car, cant drive up in a boosted fast head turning civic (maybe in those college/first job days yes), but as I became more established and working in higher level positions where I actually deal with a CFO and Controller directly, I wanted something to match that appearance, the civic will never be able to do that while an m3, lexus isf, or c63 certainly would). I would be proud to drive up in a lexus isf personally, however would definitely be embarrassed to drive up in a boosted civic and break my bosses neck lol.

6 - Boosting is more of an investment than it's worth (buy the kit + clutch + motor mounts + suspension, etc) Yes its an investment, but I wanted to make the car faster to dust people with ease and enjoy my commutes, while the car in n/a form is only decent, adding a f/i kit was the way to go. If I wanted to go really all out I would add full motor mounts, coilovers, big brakes, chassis mods such as braces, compliance bushings, lighter wheels and bigger tires, body mods, projectors headlights, port the cte blower, mod vits 2.95 pulley to 2.8 etc... I have the money, but I'm cheap to spend it on this car because at the end of day I know it'll be an enjoyable civic on the road and that's where it'll stay, but certainly no where near the perception as being a bmw lexus or benz. I personally wanted to trade in my car with a loss even only after 6 months of ownership, but I stuck with it because it was too much of a loss to trade it in and boosted it. The only reason why I bought it was because it was so cheap. The only reason I wanted to sell and trade it in was because I wanted a different car something more professional I knew this before getting into the boosted scene and figured I wanted a luxury car instead. I didnt want to dump more money into this car after this because I didnt think it was a wise investment to do so when I already made my choices in buying a more premium car so that I can save up for. People may and will see it different than I, but I just wanted to share how I felt about the whole boosting than parting as it wasnt due to the boosting part that made me want to part out nor any reliability reasons. The only reason I'll be parting car is to sell it, once I hit boost, I'm not going back n/a/ reliable or not!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts