9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Wanted to see if anyone has experience with a 17x8.5 or 17x9 wheel and 245 or wider super sticky tires...I'm looking particularly for offset information and to see if there is ANY rubbing with stock SI suspension. I'm also not trying to run more than max stock adjustable camber.

Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
92 Posts
yeees please this is what I wanna know... widest set with out any other customization... no spacers no camber ... noth

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
17x8 with a 4 inch offset is what I ran with a 225 idk if I'd go 245 too wide for my particular setup you can run an 8 wide possibly a 8.5 depending on wheel offset.I was running some cragar soft 8s cheap strong wheel for racing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
17x9 on 255 40 17s was done already...it was on a orange si coupe offset was +41...no rub and was lowered on springs

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
i know the widest rims/tires combo is from spoon sports

they use 17x8.5 et45 + 235/45-17 on their crz, fd2 race cars...

real race brands like spoon sports, buddy club, tanabe, cusco & 5zigen are all in JGTC.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
255 40 on a 17 is weaker sidewall strength in comparison to a 235 45 17 hence they run em in the pros just because you can stretch a tire on a wheel doesn't mean its safe and if your in scca they may even not allow you to run a 255 40 setup just saying easier to pop a bead your best bet is what team3d go for what's been done time and time again especially if your stock si setup run a 235 45 and find some beater wheels such a steel wheels tend to be really strong and don't have to worry about ruining them just saying each to their own tho

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
And you can even see the second set of pix posted by japspec on the close up of the mugen wheel you can see the tire is stretched and the lip of the wheel sticks out not a safe race combo.it may look cool but of your going with a race setup look for a safer spec stretched tires are a big no no and spell catastrophic consequences just saying.oh yeah and cragars are cheap I got my set for some 17x8 with the caps for 300 shipped new off eBay not sure what they cost now but guarantee you cheaper than some rays or mugens,etc that's for sure

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have one full season on my SI in autoX/track days. I ran my first whole season on my factory all season tires (yeah they sucked but I was learning) From what I learned save your money buying huge wheels and tires as I have seen in loads of tests that it actually slows down your car.

For the 2013 season I am buying some Enkei RPF1 rims and Dunlop Star Specs V2. I am buying the factory size 17X7 and 215 width tires. The Star Specs are the best all around tire for both dry and wet, cold and hot days. Sure they give up alittle in dry hot days to some others but if you only have one set of tires go for the Star Specs.

Also on a side note, I don't know how fimiliar you are with the SCCA but sense you are asking about tires on stock suspension I am guessing you are still running in G-Stock. If so you should read up on the rule book because you can't put wider rims on your car (however you can put bigger tires on your stock sized rim) Just read some of the rules because it really sucks to get bumped out of the stock class all because of a cold air intake that adds 3hp.

If you have any questions let me know, Im happy to share my autox experience with you and give you some tips.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
I have one full season on my SI in autoX/track days. I ran my first whole season on my factory all season tires (yeah they sucked but I was learning) From what I learned save your money buying huge wheels and tires as I have seen in loads of tests that it actually slows down your car.

For the 2013 season I am buying some Enkei RPF1 rims and Dunlop Star Specs V2. I am buying the factory size 17X7 and 215 width tires. The Star Specs are the best all around tire for both dry and wet, cold and hot days. Sure they give up alittle in dry hot days to some others but if you only have one set of tires go for the Star Specs.

Also on a side note, I don't know how fimiliar you are with the SCCA but sense you are asking about tires on stock suspension I am guessing you are still running in G-Stock. If so you should read up on the rule book because you can't put wider rims on your car (however you can put bigger tires on your stock sized rim) Just read some of the rules because it really sucks to get bumped out of the stock class all because of a cold air intake that adds 3hp.

If you have any questions let me know, Im happy to share my autox experience with you and give you some tips.
You meant z2 dunlops right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes sir. Alot of my racing pals swear by the Z1 Dunlops, and the Z2 are suppose to be even better. From what they tell me they hold their own in out right grip but dont loose much when it is raining or a cold day outside. In stock class they allow "slicks" which would be amazing but you better have rain tires as well and the slicks dont last long.

The SCCA did just create a national Road Tire class in the Stock class. So now you dont have to buy slicks to compete at any national events. I am planning on running in the road tire class this year and doing a few national events.

If anybody wants my help in getting setup for AutoX or just have questions I am happy to help out another Civic owner!!

Reactions: Chambers805

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Thought so cuz you said v2 and I was like ummm I haven't heard of a v2 but I got you no worries.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts