9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even have an Si but I found someone (private party) selling a brand new 16" TE37. I don't have a way of verifying the fitment. But perhaps someone here might have a better resource that can confirm or at least have a better estimate?

The wheels are listed for $2K shipped. Fair price?

I wonder if there is at least an inch of clearance between the brakes and 17" TE37?

Yes, I want to go old school. Remember the 4th gen, EG Civic Ex coupe ('92-'95) with 14" steel wheels? 16" wheels was a 2-level upgrade! Yeap haters back then hated those with 17s. They'll probably have a heart attack if we pick them up from a time machine and show them those that are rolling on 20s!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Older Civics also weighed 2100lbs, had 125hp and barely had room for a 205/50/15 tire. Newer Civics are almost 1.5tons, have 200hp and plenty of room for large rubber.

Other than looking "old school", I don't see the point. Also, what tire would you even run to keep the OD/speedo proper? 205/55/16 is slightly too tall (as is the 225/50/16 and that's a bit wide for a 7.5" wheel anyways) and good 16" tire choices pretty much suck. Seems tire manu. only care about 15" and 17"+.

For $2K surely you can find something much better.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input.

You're dead on about the tire size that I considered. But I thought it's not a big deal. I think FlashPro can even make the adjustment.
205/55/16 1.052% too slow. 50K miles in odometer means 50,526 actual miles.
225/50/16 0.967% too slow. Similarly, 50K odo. means 50,483.5 actual.

Tire selection is good enough for me when I checked at tires.costco.

Point: I have plans that are obvious on how to quantify the benefits of lighter wheels. 16" TE37 weigh 11.1 lbs. I don't know about the OEM 17" but my guestimate is around 21 lbs (+/- 3 lbs).

10 lbs leaner per wheel. You all know what this means. Faster and more fuel efficient.

I agree that $2K is a stretch.

View attachment 14397

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tall sidewalls on street tires = sloppy handling. Especially on a heavier car like an Si.

And how many miles will you need to drive to counter-act the weight benefit? $1000 enkeis vs $2000 volks. $1000 is A LOT of gas.

Also consider that 16" tires may actually weigh more in some cases as the sidewall is taller, so that might add weight.

I just don't see it as being anything positive except for a desire to run a small wheel that may not even clear your front calipers. And 7.5" is not all that wide. I'd look for at least a 16x8 so you could run a 225/50/16.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeap, handling is compromised. But, what you lose on one end you gain on the other. Better 60' time from digs. I'll just count on eibach sways and Buddy club N+ or Tein Street to compensate. lol -> $1k gas. Naw man, I'm not going to pay $2K.

I thought about the weight of the tires but it's hard to find information on it. I'm more concerned on the fitment. Finding the lightest rims aren't easy at all. Yes, few 16s out there and the search is getting tiresome.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you drag race, then buy drag radials and don't worry about the wheels so much. A $500 set of Rotas + $500 for drag radials will be cheaper and vastly superior to $2000 Volks with street tires (for that application). A FWD car launches like crap anyways; you need a proper tire to combat this. A 16" vs 17" street tire won't make much of a difference, at all.

And you seem to think suspension will compensate for a tall sloppy sidewall on a narrow wheel. It won't. The Civic is not a light car. It needs a properly matched wide wheel and rubber combination.

17x8" Enkeis are $1000 and weigh 15lbs. There is a reason why folks run these. They work and they are a great value. But hey, it's your money. I could think of a ton of other areas where $2000 would be much better spent, though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have considered your point about the compromised handling with taller sidewalls. So I looked for TE37 17x7.5 and found a used set. I'll most likely end up with this set. Meanwhile, the guy selling 16x7.5 has dropped the price to $1200 shipped.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sold on the whole no good combos for 7.5 in wheels. The way I see it, the si starts on 17x7 with 215/45-17. In terms of the metric system converted, that is 8.5 in wide tires on a 7 in wheel and it looks good. move up to 225's which is, almost, 9 in wide or about half an in wider, so with that same logic 7.5 would be about as good looking as the factory wheels. But I could be way off and just really like math and conversions and stuff. Either way like it was said. Your money, your car. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sold on the whole no good combos for 7.5 in wheels. The way I see it, the si starts on 17x7 with 215/45-17. In terms of the metric system converted, that is 8.5 in wide tires on a 7 in wheel and it looks good. move up to 225's which is, almost, 9 in wide or about half an in wider, so with that same logic 7.5 would be about as good looking as the factory wheels. But I could be way off and just really like math and conversions and stuff. Either way like it was said. Your money, your car. Happy hunting.
I want to make sure I get your point.

7" wide wheel to 8.5 wide tires --> 1.5" wider tires
7.5" wide wheel to 9 wide tires --> 1.5" wider tires

The factory 1.5" wider tires is supposed to look good assuming OEM ratio/appearance is desired. I'm missing something here. But thanks for chimming in.

In any case, the seller is including an almost new 215/45-17 tires. So an upgrade to 225s is out of the equation unless I have something to gain that I can appreciate.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I noticed your sig says FG6. The chassis code for 2012 Si sedans is FB6.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed your sig says FG6. The chassis code for 2012 Si sedans is FB6.
People actually read the signature! Thanks for the correction.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
volks are nice but i think your undersizing

go 17's or 18's :)

and definitely don't go 7.5 that's really skinny :(

maybe 17x9 or 18x9

Even 18x10 if you want a nicer look :)

then put a 45 profile tire if you go 17's 215's :)

·
Banned
8,333 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
volks are nice but i think your undersizing

go 17's or 18's :)

and definitely don't go 7.5 that's really skinny :(

maybe 17x9 or 18x9

Even 18x10 if you want a nicer look :)

then put a 45 profile tire if you go 17's 215's :)
Yeah, tkm already talked me out of the 16's so I'm sticking to 17s. I hear you about skinny 7.5s but it's all good since I like to hypermile. I thought I read in a couple of your sub 7k posts that you're buying 19 TE37s? Did you get them already? How do you like them? TPMS?

MugenSi: Is it me or white Si sedans looks more like Benz C250 than black Si sedans do?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts