9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s going on everyone. I’m at a loss with my car. So the other day I installed a brand new Wilwood super lite front brake kit (kit number 140-11978) in case someone wants to look up what one I put on. I also got the brake line kit from Wilwood and installed them as well. And the rotor hat and rotor were bolted down at 155in lbs.
Now everything was assembled the right way without struggle and bolted up all nice and tight. Then I went and drove the car to start the bedding process.
So when I took the car out I drove slow several miles and everything was fine until I took it at a faster speed and pressed firmly on the brake. My front passenger side started to make a thumping sound. I then took it back removed everything on that side to check and make sure everything was lined up which it was and let the car sit for awhile.
I took it out again shortly after and it seemed to be fine. Then when I pressed hard on the brake it started to thump again. It seems to me that when the rotor heated up is when the thumping would start.
My theory is that when the rotor was heated up it became slightly sticky and was trying to grip the pad but slipping as it caught.
It only did this when I applied a hard press to the brake at a high rate of speed.
I'm curious to know if anyone has had this happen to them and if it is normal. When I spoke to Wilwood the rep said it could have been an irregularity on the rotor or pad and that it should correct itself. As of writing this I've drove the car on these new brakes for roughly 20 miles.
I was also told to check the lug nuts which I did and they are all fine as well.
I would just like to know if this is a common issue especially when putting a big brake kit on a vehicle and getting through the bedding process.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
703 Posts
There's a few videos out there showing how to bed brakes. Try them and come back. My 4 piston bbk gave me issues because the shop didn't bed the brakes correctly, one of my rotors were warped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There's a few videos out there showing how to bed brakes. Try them and come back. My 4 piston bbk gave me issues because the shop didn't bed the brakes correctly, one of my rotors were warped.
Alright so I followed the instructions on the Wilwood manifest for the brakes and took some advice on a video. So far I drove the car yesterday and haven’t heard the thump come back.
BUT I have not tried dumping on the brakes yet but have applied light to medium pressure while driving and nothing. I’ll continue to monitor and come back if anything arises.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts