9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
And thus why I would recommend NO hybrids to anyone... vapor mileage claims regardless of who makes them, when the battery packs go flat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And thus why I would recommend NO hybrids to anyone... vapor mileage claims regardless of who makes them, when the battery packs go flat.
The lady is out of her mind, she has no ground to sue Honda because her battery is not in peak performance and therefore does not get the ultimate MPG!
Why stay off hybrids? My 2012 civic hybrid is doing very well, the new civic hybrids have new type of battery that comes with 8 year warranty, ohh, did I mentioned I'm getting 54 MPG. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1325646966.644065.jpg

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Some people really don't have anything to live for apparently. Aren't women like that called trouble making bitches? :kisssmiley:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Why stay off hybrids?
Because batteries are a failure item and their charge hold capacity diminishes over time - and warranty claims can be questionable.

Warning: Honda Hybrid Battery Warranty!! - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

It takes years to recoup the extra costs you pay for the hybrid upfront anyways, so who cares if you're getting 54 MPG, its years before you're even on par, and by that time you recoup the costs, the battery pack is on its way out. They hybrid math just does not add up financially. Plus hybrids drive terrible compared to the average Civic even, ie. they're dog SLOW!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Because batteries are a failure item and their charge hold capacity diminishes over time - and warranty claims can be questionable.

It takes years to recoup the extra costs you pay for the hybrid upfront anyways, so who cares if you're getting 54 MPG, its years before you're even on par, and by that time you recoup the costs, the battery pack is on its way out. They hybrid math just does not add up financially. Plus hybrids drive terrible compared to the average Civic even, ie. they're dog SLOW!
Not to mention the environmental impact of acquiring the components necessary to build the battery in the first place. As well as the oil used in shipping said battery to the factories that install them.

Yup, the whole Hybrid/Electric vehicle for Green movement is a total farce.

·
Registered
249 Posts

I did a rough calculation on my payments for my EX, vs payments on a hybrid.. The Hybrid which is ~$8000 more expensive also has a much steeper finance rate (5.9%) making the car after all payments nearly $12000 more expensive than my EX... and no sunroof! Over 60 months of payments the hybrid will cost $2400 per year more (or $200 more per month) than the EX.

Now.. I'll be conservative.. I usually get an average of 7.2L/100km on a tank of gas.. 65 hwy 35 city... which is just shy of 33 US MPG (32.6).. Hell I'll round down to 32MPG...

Now from that screenshot he gets 54.2mpg.. Hell I'll round that one up to 55mpg.. which makes a difference of 23mpg... with estimates in big favour to the hybrid... taking out of account battery aging etc.

Average mileage per year is 15000. So each year it will take a standard DX, LX, EX ~455 gallons of gas to go 15000 miles.

The hybrid will take ~273 gallons of gas to make it 15000 miles in one year.

455 gal of gas at an average gas price of $3.50 per gallon costs $1592.50
273 gal of gas at an average gas price of $3.50 per gallon costs $955.50 for a savings of $637 a year. or a savings of ~$53 per month.

What we can deduce from this is that if you drove the average 15000 miles per year, and saved that $637 per year on gas and you paid $12000 more for that vehicle, it would take nearly 19 YEARS of driving before you even broke EVEN with your gas savings vs. extra money put out on the hybrid, and at that point you'll have 285000 miles on your hybrid.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think as Drexl said - anyone doing the math would realize if cost savings is the goal, hybrids just don't add up.

I don't mean to be harsh on hybrids, but they are a lifestyle choice in reality, and not a financial one, so the MPG is more about individuals being green/eco conscious, except you have to factor in that batteries in themselves have environmental impact, even if they're recycled. And sourcing lithium is possibly the next blood diamond.

Lithium: Are “blood batteries” next? | Grist

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Hybrids = herd mentality.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I get 43 mpg in my 92 hatch hows that for 20 year old technology with one battery, they could be making cars that get 56mpg with out batteries if the oil company's let them just too much money in gas.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i had a 90 crx hf, sucker gets 45-50mpg on hwy. its ball slow, rattles like a vegas stripper, have enough rust to lose 100lbs (literally lol) but it was a great beater! but to understand these new cars are ALOT heavier but safer than those 1900lb soda cans made in 80/90s

·
Registered
249 Posts
i had a 90 crx hf, sucker gets 45-50mpg on hwy. its ball slow, rattles like a vegas stripper, have enough rust to lose 100lbs (literally lol) but it was a great beater! but to understand these new cars are ALOT heavier but safer than those 1900lb soda cans made in 80/90s
Oh man.. I love Buffalo Wild Wings!

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Honda and the bitch are both lacky's. I have a 2012 gasoline powered Civic in the garage showing 35.9mpg with 1/4 tank left and all but 40 miles of the tank is city driving. I'm happy. I didn't need to sue anybody to be happy. I did my homework before I bought the car and it exceeds Honda's and my expectations. Her intellect is not complete but her selfishness and stupidity are total. Other than that I have no opinion..... :wigglesmiley:

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Bottom Line - Honda Civic mileage verdict has industry sweating

Why do some people always thing suing and more "big brother" is always the answer? All this does is cost you and me in the end. Why didn't she take on the EPA? Answer, because she knew she wouldn't get any MONEY. This is disgusting. She should have just sold the car and gotten a Chevy Cavalier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts