9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2012 Civic Si sedan. I am driving it through winter and was wondering if there was a cheap steel rims out there. I'm wondering if i can get away with 16" rims. Will they fit with the calipers and everything else? Im doing this to save like 50.00 per tire since 17s are that much more. I am also not planing on sporting the TPMS sensors. So my goal is to go with 16s with winter tires and then swap back to stock when the snow is gone. Any help will be great. Thanks

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
You will want tpms to be functional since it will not let you turn off traction control if disabled. There are times that you will need some wheelspin to even get going at all in deeper snow.

Steelies are readily available for 16" wheels that will fit fine on your Si. It will also provide you with more sidewall which is a good thing in the snowy winter conditions.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
289 Posts
Try Craigslist, there are lots of people trying to get rid of their steel wheels

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got mine from Kijiji. 16 inch Honda steel rims and Michelin XIce tires for $450. I've heard some generic steel rims won't clear the front brakes so be careful what you buy. The 16 inch Honda ones will for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say the 16" honda rims will fit, are you saying any 16's honda has come out with? I have heard about them not fitting as well and I dont want to buy these rims and then they dont fit. Also I will probably put tpms sensors in the steel rims but will have to go to the dealer to get them programed. Since I have 2 sets, and will only be swapping out winner and summer tires, I should have to get them re learned ever time, correct?

·
Registered
276 Posts
From what I know about TPMS, you will have to get them learned each time. We don't have them on the Si's in Canada so I'm not 100% sure of the process.

There was a thread somewhere here that had the Honda part numbers for rims that will fit. I'll have to keep looking for it. I'll post it once I find it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
You can purchase tpms sensors that can be cloned to be recognized just like your OEM ones. This will keep you from having to pay the dealer each seasonal change of tires.

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
Thank god I found this post, my wife asked me what I wanted for christmas and my answer was snows, but I wasn't sure on rim clearance for 16"'s and 17"s are friken expensive

·
Registered
496 Posts
For my 2012 Si sedan I just bought 16 inch factory rims and xice3 michelin snows from the local Honda dealer in Whitby, plus you get a $70 Michelin coupon, size P205/55 R16, approx 1100 with tax. Went for factory steelies as they do not rust as fast as Chinese knock offs and run true first time! Parts manager is excellent to deal with.

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
For my 2012 Si sedan I just bought 16 inch factory rims and xice3 michelin snows from the local Honda dealer in Whitby, plus you get a $70 Michelin coupon, size P205/55 R16, approx 1100 with tax. Went for factory steelies as they do not rust as fast as Chinese knock offs and run true first time! Parts manager is excellent to deal with.
Those are exact ones i'm looking at :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got 205-55-16 Michellin Xice3's..

aaand 16" steelies from Acura because the parts manager at my Honda dealership was a moron.. Tried selling me Enkei rims to use JUST FOR WINTER at $300 bucks each..after he told me that Honda doesn't make a 17" rim for my car and a 16" won't fit... went to Acura, parts manager actually looked into it, let me have the 16" test fit for free (to make sure it would clear my calipers).

·
Registered
725 Posts
I went a different direction........bought 225/40/18 Michelin PA4's - their new UHP V-rated winter tire; not for deep snow or always ice - the X-ICE X13's are still best for that, but since I live in a place where we only get an average of 50" of snow a winter and I take the ocassional run up into the Rockies, these are great. Left my 18 x 7.5 Enkei's on the car. They stick very nicely; almost as good as my Pilot Super Sports.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts