9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's random comments all over the place, but not an actual thread. What are your opinions on this.

Do you like yellow film or yellow bulbs? The look of either while on and off.

I used yellow film on the fogs of my GD3. I liked the look of the yellow film when they we're off and even more when on. It was a 3M film that gave a really deep yellow colour. The only problem was it very quickly got dirty and kinda gross looking. It would get almost a coating of dirt and start to look dull after only a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0051.PNG IMG_0054.jpg
i bought film for now, will do until i do my light set up! working towards full bolt ons first though!

Reactions: SICoupe

·
Registered
731 Posts
I know there's random comments all over the place, but not an actual thread. What are your opinions on this.

Do you like yellow film or yellow bulbs? The look of either while on and off.

I used yellow film on the fogs of my GD3. I liked the look of the yellow film when they we're off and even more when on. It was a 3M film that gave a really deep yellow colour. The only problem was it very quickly got dirty and kinda gross looking. It would get almost a coating of dirt and start to look dull after only a few weeks.
I used the film and was very happy with the look that it gave the car, with one exception. The glass surface looked dull, not shiny like glass. In addition, I thought that the amount of light that left the lens looked dimmer.

So I took the film off, very easy to do, and put in Nokya yellows. The light produced is just as yellow, pierces fog better, but when the fogs are not being used, the lights look pretty much clear like original.

Maybe I could have polished the film or something to make it look different. I have more of the film if I ever decide to go back. FOr now, I like the Nokyas.

Hope this helps.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,830 Posts
I debated this too, but since I knew I liked the yellow lenses, I just decided to paint them instead of using the film, 'cause like you said after a while the film gets dirty and discolors, then you'll have to swap them out. With the paint, you don't get that, they stay nice and shiny until you decide to remove the paint, which is EASY. I chose to paint them AND use yellow nokya bulbs, overkill you might ask? Eh, maybe. But my fogs look DOPE during the day and even better at night.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought nokya 2500 hyper yellow bulbs first and liked the look. Recently put film over the yellow bulbs and now looks 10x better. That true deep yellow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I love the films and the light. I didn't want the fogs to out shine my headlights with the nokyas, and they don't seem dirty at all? Maybe il have to look harder

·
Photoshop Masta
2,830 Posts
I've read that some people had discoloring after a few days, some after a few weeks, others after a few months and some say they didn't have any....so since it varied, I just decided not to use film at all, but paint instead. It's been over 3 months and my lenses look as good as the day I painted them. Whatever works best for you, do it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read that some people had discoloring after a few days, some after a few weeks, others after a few months and some say they didn't have any....so since it varied, I just decided not to use film at all, but paint instead. It's been over 3 months and my lenses look as good as the day I painted them. Whatever works best for you, do it!
What type of paint did you use?

·
Registered
947 Posts
I really think it depends on the color car you have. Some colors look better with the yellow film vs. the clear lens. I personally have the CBP with Nokya Hyper Yellows and no film and I love the look. Also, I heard that the yellow films can burn over time from overheating.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,830 Posts
What type of paint did you use?
VANS lens paint...you can find it on eBay or Amazon, it's not cheap (like $35) but you can do probably 3 sets of fogs with one can. It's durable too, it has a rubber-ish feel to it, so it won't chip or flake.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was about to go buy some yellow bulbs for my fog lights and high beams, but after a lot of reading forums I think I'm gonna stay away right now. Very common problem I'm seeing is the bulbs themselves get too hot and melt the connection. Nokya sells a piggyback type harness that has heat resistant connectors to eliminate this problem. I haven't yet searched for local dealers that carry these harnesses.

Though just the fact that they MAKE this type of harness steers me away from connecting my OEM connection directly to the yellow bulb. I think I have some 3M film left over that I used for my GD3 fogs. I'll install that for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i prefer the yellow vinyl. when u install 3k HiDs its not the same. the hids look greenish .. i prefer the vinyl with the halogen bulb in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts