9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Yokohama Avid Ascend tires? My friend wants to get them on his car and I was considering getting them on mine as well after reading the information on them.

Also, they don't have 215/45-17, so 225/45-17 should be fine right? Anyone have pics of 225/45 on the stock Si wheels?

Yokohama claims that the tires, utilizing orange oil rather than petroleum-based oils, drive smoother and quieter on straight roads (I live in FL so most roads are very straight) which saves a few MPG and has a treadwear rating of 740 with a unlimited mile 5-year warrantee covering the treadlife. Then, when lateral pressure is applied (turning) the tires heat up and becoming much stickier to the pavement. Kind of a hybrid between performance and gas mileage/low ride noise. My friend supposedly read that 30 years of research went into making these tires with orange oil.

Here is a link to the tires: AVID ASCEND Tire Details

·
Registered
947 Posts
I would go with 215/40-17. They should have that size. Check this link out to find out more about the tire and some reviews: Review: Yokohama Avid Ascend

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I did read reviews I was just interested in hearing from a 9th gen civic owner since it is of course a different car.

Whats the particular reason you would go with that size over the 225/45? The speedometer is closest with this size than any other available size.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well the stock Si wheels are 7" wide I believe so 215 would fit better with that. And 40 profile on those because they're a little cheaper than 45.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, there aren't any 215/45-17 in this model so those are out of the question anyway, but I wouldn't care if they were more expensive. I would prefer stock size.

So, at this point i'm mostly concerned with fitment and speedometer. Also wouldn't want them to look awkward. Is anyone on here running 225/45 or 215/40?

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
i'm using 225/45-17 on my lx sedan

if stock size is not available, go wider with same profile, never go smaller profile with same width.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm using 225/45-17 on my lx sedan

if stock size is not available, go wider with same profile, never go smaller profile with same width.
Thanks. That is the answer that I was expecting, as it would be weird to go with smaller profile with the same width. The wheels might look strange, and more importantly the ride quality would be diminished.

So no rubbing with the 225/45-17's at all, including turning with the steering wheel all the way at left or right lock and/or over a bump?

How do you like it? Lots of extra grip? Better appearance of the wheels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts