9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2648 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Premium required, so basically 91 or 93 if available
Not bad I guess, the civic only has a 12 gallon tank right?

Driving the new mustang with a 16 gallon tank using 91 octane and getting 12 mpg... lol - well si will probably be A LOT cheaper!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Driving the new mustang with a 16 gallon tank using 91 octane and getting 12 mpg... lol - well si will probably be A LOT cheaper!
Fuel Tank
The Civic’s fuel tank constructed is located forward of the multi-link rear suspension. Its lightweight polypropylene design offers reduced weight, increased capacity, and reduced possibility of evaporative emissions. The composite design also minimizes weight and allows a generous fuel capacity (its capacity is 13.2 gallons, the same as for the previous generation Civic). The Civic also incorporates a returnless fuel supply system that helps reduce vapor generation.
Also I heard the new mustang is 30mpg, but I'm sure that's probably only if you drive it tiptoeing the gas pedal

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yeah can't really compare the new Mustang to the new Si. Si will get better MPG over the Mustang lol
oh yea definitely, imagine a day where the Mustang has better mileage than the civic lol that's a disaster

Not talking about the v6... lol

when i drive 6 speed I get a heavy foot! probably wouldn't be fun for my wallet!
Yeaa man, although I'm cringing at spending just 30 bucks on my gas right now, it sure is a lot better than the dudes playing 100s haha

EDIT: oh yea in my comment forgot you wanted the 5.0 right

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Premium required, so basically 91 or 93 if available
Its 91 here on the west coast....but I have a local gas station that sells 116!

I believe its 13.9 gallons

oh yea definitely, imagine a day where the Mustang has better mileage than the civic lol that's a disaster

Yeaa man, although I'm cringing at spending just 30 bucks on my gas right now, it sure is a lot better than the dudes playing 100s haha

EDIT: oh yea in my comment forgot you wanted the 5.0 right
Hey F U and ur 30 bucks! $110 to fill my truck!

·
Registered
794 Posts
In my '00 Si depending on how -:pinkvtec:- I drive and if it's stop and go kind of driving or not, up to 400 on a full tank, my average is about 310... (being a little conservative) oh 11 gallon tank I believe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Multiple Civic MPGs

FYI - I occasionally do new dealer trades, wherein I delivery new cars from Honda dealer to Honda dealer. I've driven about 10 new '12 Civics thus far. On average the highway mileage has been in the 40 to 41 MPG range. Both LX and EX models and usually with the ECON on, but at highway miles I don't believe that makes a difference. Realize all of these cars have only 5-15 miles on them when I pick them up. Haven't had any with odd shifting or unusual drive pattern. These readings were a result of cruise control set at 70 mph, mostly on Interstate roads.

As has been the case for sometime, Honda's written break-in procedures do not require a varying of speeds during highway use. In fact, the '12 Civic Manual doesn't mention a break-in section in the table of contents at all. There is one page where they do mention no full throttle starts or attempts for the first some hundreds of miles. They no longer mention leaving the "from the factory oil" in till the maintenance minder shows to change it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FYI - I occasionally do new dealer trades, wherein I delivery new cars from Honda dealer to Honda dealer. I've driven about 10 new '12 Civics thus far. On average the highway mileage has been in the 40 to 41 MPG range.
Appreciate the hard (and impressive) numbers.

It is always good to get facts (rather than opinion, conjecture or SWAG input).

Look forward to your driving the Si with that wonderful 6M multi-cone synchro transmission!! Mine is - with GMSFM lube oil - about the best ever. CorVette, Porsche, RX-7, G-35, Supra - all fall short of this no-vibration, short throw manual shift icon.

Again, appreciate your input here, amigo

ez....

·
Registered
126 Posts
FYI - I occasionally do new dealer trades, wherein I delivery new cars from Honda dealer to Honda dealer. I've driven about 10 new '12 Civics thus far. On average the highway mileage has been in the 40 to 41 MPG range. Both LX and EX models and usually with the ECON on, but at highway miles I don't believe that makes a difference. Realize all of these cars have only 5-15 miles on them when I pick them up. Haven't had any with odd shifting or unusual drive pattern. These readings were a result of cruise control set at 70 mph, mostly on Interstate roads.
Awesome. When we test drove a 2012 last weekend it got 39MPG on the interstate at 70MPH. Fiancee taking delivery of 2012 Civic LX Sedan Auto in Polished Metal Metal tomorrow. They had to trade with another dealer to get the color but loaned her a 2010 Civic until it comes in. I am curious what city mileage it will actually get.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just imagine what Honda could do with the Civic when they implement direct injection and a 6 speed auto trans. Don't think they would ever do a turbo with smaller displacement like Chevy did on the Cruze due to cost of implementing a turbo that is also Honda reliable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just imagine what Honda could do with the Civic when they implement direct injection and a 6 speed auto trans. Don't think they would ever do a turbo with smaller displacement like Chevy did on the Cruze due to cost of implementing a turbo that is also Honda reliable.
Yeh, I had assumed Honda would do direct injection on the 9th gen Civics, but it seems they wanted to save the cost of developing and changing over to a new engine. Not a good way to stay at the head of the pack.

I don't know that adding another gear in the AT will make much difference in highway mileage. The 5AT already has an extremely tall 5th gear. My 2008 Civic EX AT turns 2K @ 60 mpg, much lower than any other I4 car I know of and about what you would expect from a V6. If Honda goes to a 6AT, my guess is that top gear won't be any higher unless the engine gets additional HP at the same time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeh, I had assumed Honda would do direct injection on the 9th gen Civics, but it seems they wanted to save the cost of developing and changing over to a new engine. Not a good way to stay at the head of the pack.

I don't know that adding another gear in the AT will make much difference in highway mileage. The 5AT already has an extremely tall 5th gear. My 2008 Civic EX AT turns 2K @ 60 mpg, much lower than any other I4 car I know of and about what you would expect from a V6. If Honda goes to a 6AT, my guess is that top gear won't be any higher unless the engine gets additional HP at the same time.
i also dont expect direct injection alone would add dramatic numbers mpg wise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
DI may not add ANYTHING other than more noise, perhaps a small HP bump.
Right... Direct Injection permits higher compression ratios at the same fuel octane rating without knocking, and higher compression ratios result in higher pressures and temperatures during the power stroke, i.e., more power for the same displacement.

So, you can leave the displacement alone and get more horsepower, or you can lower displacement some, get the same power and better mileage. The difference isn't huge, but it may well be a couple of mpg.

21 - 40 of 2648 Posts