9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2647 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Being that the gas prices will soon hit over the $5.00 mark, I might reconsider getting the Si and going with an EX.
While the monthly cost of my usual 50-60 gallons of 87 continues to generate pain at the pump, I think (at least) the winter fuel blend is gone.

My last tank gave just under 32 MPG (65% Highway) for my Gen7 6M coupe.

Anyone know for sure when the summer blend gasolina hits NoCal?

ez

·
Registered
227 Posts
With my '11 FG2's stated HWY MPG of 29, I can honestly say that since I got 30.2 for mixed driving when I filled up last night, that the new Si will have to get significantly better than 31 MPG consistently to be worth an upgrade just due to efficiency.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just imagine what Honda could do with the Civic when they implement direct injection and a 6 speed auto trans. Don't think they would ever do a turbo with smaller displacement like Chevy did on the Cruze due to cost of implementing a turbo that is also Honda reliable.
Honda GB (Euro) is currently racing a 2.0L Turbo in their BTCC racing series Civic, so IMO they are looking at that technology seriously for production.
Also, Honda V6 turbo's demolished the Renault's and Porches during the mid-80's F1 era racing. They have plenty air-pump technology!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
How are you guys calculating your MPGs? At the pump (miles divided by gallons filled) or going off the trip computer?
I'm going to this fill up. I have posted earlier, this thread, figures off numerous computer read-outs (multiple cars). I wanted to fill it up myself first, than fill it again, myself, to get as good a reading as possible. I'll post as soon as gas prices fall a little more and I do the fill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going to this fill up. I have posted earlier, this thread, figures off numerous computer read-outs (multiple cars). I wanted to fill it up myself first, than fill it again, myself, to get as good a reading as possible. I'll post as soon as gas prices fall a little more and I do the fill.
Okay...I filled it up today. Note, I still had more than 1/2 a tank as I purchased only 5.406 gallons. The computer was showing overall mileage of 33.2. Figuring manually I got 34.42. This was based on 90 to 95% city driving. I'm happy with the mileage and computer read out vs. manual calculation. Econ button was "on" about 1/2 of the 185 miles driven.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't have the Econ button in my car :icon_headfones:

I consistently get about 330 miles to the tank before the light pops up and if I push it, like I always do, I get about 360-370 miles to the tank about 10 miles after there's no bars left. :eusa_clap:

If I'm taking a trip and it's 100% hwy, I get about 480-520 miles to the tank.

That's similar to how much I get. I have a 2004 civic EX with almost 200k on it and I mostly do highway driving and if I'm pushing it real hard, say about 83 mph set on the cruise I can get about 370 miles to the tank before the fuel light which nets me about 33-36 mpg and I can easily get over 400 miles before I stop to fill up. If I take it easy and set the cruise to about 70 mph then I can get 400-430 before the fuel light which nets me about 38 mpg and I could push it to 450 miles before I fill up.

I've honestly never pushed it past 450 or so miles to see how far I 'could' get and I never ran it out of gas or even coasted it on fumes. But I'm pretty sure that is close to the limit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's similar to how much I get. I have a 2004 civic EX with almost 200k on it and I mostly do highway driving and if I'm pushing it real hard, say about 83 mph set on the cruise I can get about 370 miles to the tank before the fuel light which nets me about 33-36 mpg and I can easily get over 400 miles before I stop to fill up. If I take it easy and set the cruise to about 70 mph then I can get 400-430 before the fuel light which nets me about 38 mpg and I could push it to 450 miles before I fill up.

I've honestly never pushed it past 450 or so miles to see how far I 'could' get and I never ran it out of gas or even coasted it on fumes. But I'm pretty sure that is close to the limit.
Need to figure you're at an advantage given probable higher altitude out there in Colorado - No? I know my motorcycle certainly get improved mileage figure the higher we are. Great MPG car and still doing so at 200,000 miles, is testimony to that, and your obvious maintenance of same.

I'm doing a 700-mile trip this coming week, we'll see what she does out of the city.

·
Registered
126 Posts
34.5MPG on the first tank. Probably 70% city 30% highway. Got the number by dividing fill up by odo when left dealer. Accidentally reset the trip meter MPG during the tank so don't know what the computer had. 500 miles on the car now. Running it in ECON all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Need to figure you're at an advantage given probable higher altitude out there in Colorado - No? I know my motorcycle certainly get improved mileage figure the higher we are. Great MPG car and still doing so at 200,000 miles, is testimony to that, and your obvious maintenance of same.

I'm doing a 700-mile trip this coming week, we'll see what she does out of the city.
Yeah the altitude probably doesn't hurt. I do try to keep up on the maintenance and try to keep her cleaned up. If it wasn't for the road rash from the rocks on my hood, she would look almost brand new.

34.5MPG on the first tank. Probably 70% city 30% highway. Got the number by dividing fill up by odo when left dealer. Accidentally reset the trip meter MPG during the tank so don't know what the computer had. 500 miles on the car now. Running it in ECON all the time.
That's not too bad at all for being mostly city. Good to hear they are the same 'ol civics we all love!:thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honda Civic Ex Fuel Range

I just hit 5.5l/100 km today with a range of 800 km not to shabby... I hope to get it down to 5.0 eventually.

What are you guys getting?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
im getting around 34.7 mpgs, I don't know what that conversion is, but it is higher than epa postings lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
On my 08 Si, my mileage improved when I went from 5-30 Mobil 1 Extended Range to 0-30 Mobil 1. Having been an oil chemist early in my career, I realize this should make no difference; but it does! I think the newer Hondas likely specify 0-20 so this might not be a change that can currently be made. I wish we had a "real" oil pressure gauge so we could experiment and see if 0-20 kept adequate oil pressure on the K20A3. It will likely be ok and even specified for the 12 Civics, including the Si.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
On my 08 Si, my mileage improved when I went from 5-30 Mobil 1 Extended Range to 0-30 Mobil 1. Having been an oil chemist early in my career, I realize this should make no difference; but it does! I think the newer Hondas likely specify 0-20 so this might not be a change that can currently be made. I wish we had a "real" oil pressure gauge so we could experiment and see if 0-20 kept adequate oil pressure on the K20A3. It will likely be ok and even specified for the 12 Civics, including the Si.
I hope someone does that research, because I know I can't

·
Registered
74 Posts
'12 Mileage so far...

Hey folks...

Thought I'd share my experience so far and keep in mind I traded in an '07 Honda Ridgeline (which I love) for the '12 Civic basically for better gas mileage so I'm happy to say the least.

Around town I'm averaging nearly 34 mpg, highway is between 49 and 52 so far and I'm not driving it in "econ" mode. Can't complain at all.

One thing I've noticed about the Civic at least on the highway. If I'm above around 65mph and need to pass or accelerate, the car is snappy and easily accelerates impressively and without getting pas 4K rpms. Below that the car is a bit sluggish, but I expect that with a 4 cylinder 140hp engine. Still, gas mileage is why I got the car.

This is my second Honda personally, fourth in our family and I can't say enough about them. Honda continues to do it right!
:eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
717 Posts
great info, getting about the same respectivelly as long as i am keeping my foot out of the pedal

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
It depends where your car's revs are and in which gear, at least I find that to be the case in my 8th.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
It depends where your car's revs are and in which gear, at least I find that to be the case in my 8th.
major downside of automatics, can't control the gear :/

41 - 60 of 2647 Posts