9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Eh, I guess that's a valid way to look at it. I don't think the analogy is quite so fitting between base Accord/Civic Si and base TLX/2.4 ILX. Base TLX reportedly performs as well as 2.4 ILX, has all wheel steer, and features way more luxuries than the ILX including an actual luxury car quiet interior. Base Accord features roughly the same "luxuries" as Si but is nowhere near the performer. If you want to go the Accord route, you could make the case for a V6 accord vs. 2.4 ILX.
I saw a TLX in person it looks okay but Lexus IS250 looks better IMHO. Oh BTW why would I buy a TLX when I suspect I can get V6 Accord for around the same price?

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
I agree, honda must do more to separate the ilx from the civic. Right now the ilx isn't doing anything for the brand
actually, it's very different car, you just need to take a test drive, it's nothing like a civic si

everyone that drove my ilx prefer the ilx over the si...

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
looks fairly the same. i couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a dressed up civic.
it's not a dress up civic...

1) ilx have stiffer & lighter chassis than civic, civic use only 55% high tensile steel vs ilx uses
59% high tensile steel

2) the a-piller are 3 inches closer to the driver thus it gives you a traditional dashboard (shorter)

3) the car is quiet, it's interior is very comfortable & upscale

just because they use the same engine & share the same suspension doesn't mean it's the same car

it's the same toyota camry = lexus ES argument

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
THAT is not fair.
The civic Si is an underachiever compare to the base Accord and the base Accord is CHEAPER than the Civic Si.
Really though, that is fact.
Civic:Accord::ILX:TLX

So with your outlook, why would anyone buy a Civic Si when they could buy the Accord LX-S and save 2grand.

This is not how I think as I feel the Accord is for some where as the Civic is for others. Same for the ILX and TLX man. TLX is bigger than the ILX and comparable trim levels will make the TLX 10grand more expensive. Just like if you compare the Civic w/navi to the Accord w/ navi. Same thing man.

tlx is alot bigger than ilx

it's a totally different size car for different needs....

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
I think the ILX looks fantastic. The Civic looks nice too, but the ILX will age more gracefully. I see Integras these days and still think it's a good looking car.

I looked at both and test drove both. For me the ILX wasn't much more luxurious than the Civic, not 7k worth of luxuriousness anyways. Road noise is the same in both cars. If they can get the TLX to start at 31k, there is no excuse for the ILX at 31k. Acura did not do a good job on the ILX, but the 2016 refresh sounds promising.

ilx starts at 26k, not 31k, it's the k24z7 manual ilx start at 31k

ilx's 2013 total sales figure is about the same as brz/frs combine annually..

this year, i believe it will be different, in san gabriel valley, i see more ilx on the road now than last year.... at-least 5-6 ilx a day & they are not giving cars away like last year...

in 2013, you can pick up a brand new ilx 2.4 for 26k, outside of California, lowest i seen was 25k for a brand new.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the info. No idea the civic and ilx had those structural differences.

I would assume the ILX has finer materials used in more places than just upholstery and the steel alloy compounds. Most luxury cars do, and as yes, the TLX may have even better materials used, there is still a lot of room between the Civic and TLX for the ILX to fall into.

·
Registered
754 Posts
What do you guys think of an ILX photoshop I did?

Mugen TSX front bumper with some editing, Lexus foglights, and AMS intercooler.
RDX jewel eye headlights "dark" housing.
Deleted the metal looking shield/beak and duplicated the lower black piece 3 times. Added two tone mugen logo.
BMW M series hood vents. Lexus Side skirts.
VIP interior with curtains and cushions.
Window visors. Side mirror turn signal LEDs. Tail light LEDs. Chrome door handles.
BBS FI wheels in what would probably be 18/19 with a Wilwood break kit.

2016 Mugen ILX Sh-AWD 2.0t 9-Speed DCT
I can dream!!

Original

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm definitely more in the demographic (28, male, professional) for the ILX, but it's not quite in my budget just yet. My 2013 Si sedan has been a great car and I love it, but I'm kind of outgrowing the look (though I still enjoy it even if, outside the color, it's a bit too "much" for me).

That said, if I could afford it, I'd never pay more than $27K for the ILX. It's just not that good looking or well-loaded (to me) to justify that kind of money...not when the Si offers (arguably) more for less...navigation and LSD being the things that come to mind. Yes, the ILX has other things and while I'd love LED lights, if I'm buying an Acura, I want the option to get navi...especially at that price.

The upcoming ILX looks very promising. Hopefully I'll be in a place to afford it at some point. Hopefully they put a bit more energy into the design of the car, because the current one, while a good looking car, is far too sedate for me - the backend looks rather cheap, in fact, as though it were an afterthought.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Nothing about those pictures makes me say "Wow I have to have the new ILX". I've always liked the jewel lights but that's about it. Overall it's a 👎.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 55 of 55 Posts